News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

david h. carroll

Par 3 openers
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »
Redanman in his response to the par 3 closer thread brought up his knowledge of only one par 3 opener....locally in the Baltimore area the 1st at Greenspring Valley Hunt Club comes to mind...it's 185 from the back, 175 or so from the mid and set hard up against the clubhouse/patio/well windowed dining room....oh yeah, the par 3 18th finishes to the right about 50 yards from the tee.

Altogether a rather vexing and tough start as the green is pretty damn small and people are always milling about, but I'm not sure it qualifies as quirky.

Where else does this occur?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:38:05 PM by david h. carroll »

rjsimper

Re:Par 3 openers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:40:20 PM »
Depends where you draw the line for minimum total yardage, but the venerable links at Pacific Grove Municipal start you off with a wee three of 100 or so yards, hitting from a mat no less.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:43:15 PM »
A well-known example is Royal Lytham.

http://www.royallytham.org/html/holebyholeguide.htm#
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:46:49 PM »
See other thread -- Boat of Garten in the Highlands of Scotland opens with a par 3.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
David,

Westchester

Matthew Rose

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 02:39:21 AM »

They played the 1st at Victoria as a three when they had the Aus Open last time, although I think that's normally a ridiculously short four.

I've read that Westchester swaps the nines for the Barclays and that the "1st" hole there is actually the 10th. So instead of opening with a very short four, they open with a medium three.

Anyone know the reason for the swap? 9 and 18 are both par-fives, neither of which look terribly hard, at least on TV. 9 is shorter but is uphill. Galleries?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:40:27 AM by Matt Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:06:08 AM »
Since I mentioned Kilspindie in the Par 3 18th Hole thread, it does have a Par 3 first hole. Very difficult if you have to tee up at 5.00 am on a Sunday morning in late September to beat the crowds.  8)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 05:20:00 AM »
There's a crappy course at Foxwoods - other than Lake of Isles:):) - that was their resort course before Lake of Isles opened that starts and ends with a par-3.

Its a godawful design...75 degree doglegs...lousy conditioning...

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »
Ludlow Country Club, a Donald Ross course in western Mass, opens with a blind, 235-yard par 3. It plays a slightly downhill, and from the tips, the tee box in front of you blocks any view of the green. With bunkers to the right and left, it is one of the more difficult opening holes I've seen.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 08:04:27 AM »
Yarra Yarra

Mark,

Not for long. I believe when the extensive renovations to the clubhouse are complete, the existing 6th hole will become the new opener, meaning the course will conclude on the superb 5th.

TK

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 09:00:09 AM »
Rich Goodale has a very nice opening par 3 at his home course at Aberdour. It is a strong hole toward the water with cross wonds the day i played it.

James Edwards

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 09:22:57 AM »
KNOLE PARK - ABERCROMBY

Near Sevenoaks in Kent, England, Knole Park has a wonderful, long 197yard uphill Par 3 opener with a sharp drop on the entire right side of the hole and bunkering on the left along with groups of deers (whatever the colective name is??)

http://www.knoleparkgolfclub.co.uk/the_course.htm
@EDI__ADI

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 09:30:45 AM »
Mount Washington has an odd par 3 opener. The hole sits all by itself, with the tee next to the pool and the green down a hill and next to the parking lot. Once you exit the green, it is a long way to the second tee and the rest of the course.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »
Since I mentioned Kilspindie in the Par 3 18th Hole thread, it does have a Par 3 first hole. Very difficult if you have to tee up at 5.00 am on a Sunday morning in late September to beat the crowds.  8)

JC-S,

I do not believe Kilspindie originally opened with a short hole.  I'll check the club history and follow up tonight.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »
Depends where you draw the line for minimum total yardage, but the venerable links at Pacific Grove Municipal start you off with a wee three of 100 or so yards, hitting from a mat no less.

No longer true.  It's about 150 and and has a lovely new grass teeing area that would fit in nicely at any CCFAD.

I miss the old way.   :'(

But PG Muni is still unique - what other course with a par of 70 or over starts off with TWO par threes?  Oh yes, #2 is a par three also - and a darn strong hole - 200 yards uphill to a sloping green.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 11:18:25 AM »
Rich Goodale has a very nice opening par 3 at his home course at Aberdour. It is a strong hole toward the water with cross wonds the day i played it.

Not to mention the second hole is also a par 3!  Both are very good looking holes.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 11:19:37 AM »
So Rich plays at the PG Muni of Scotland?

That is cool on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 11:21:55 AM »
The best par 3 opening hole I've seen is on the Blue course at The Berkshire, England.  It's about 215 yards over the edge of a hollow on the right.  You can lay up to the left with a 5-iron and play it for a four, or aim at it and take your chances.  A lot different start than the easy par-5 opener on the Red course!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 11:25:11 AM »
Grenada Golf Club opens with a 220ish par 3.

That is the highlight of the day.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 11:29:53 AM »

Not to mention the second hole is also a par 3!  Both are very good looking holes.

Especially to one Mr Gary Cruickshank:

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=609&id=58042006
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 11:30:10 AM »
Abercromby:
Addington
Knole Park

Fowler:
Berkshire Blue
Walton Heath Old

Neither produced that many courses and were roughly contemporaneous, did they start any others with a par 3?
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Keenan

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 01:08:02 PM »
Napa Valley Country Club opensd with a Par 3. Rather short 116 from the whites 130 from the blue.

I would note that one thing that an opening Par 3 does is induce a bit of trash talking to those who fail to hit the green on their drive. When playing in a social group does add a nice element of fun.  
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 01:08:24 PM »
A couple that few of you will know are Bala and Flint, both in North Wales.  Flint may now have more than 9 holes, but a few years ago when last I was there it was only 9, and its 1st is a 219-yard par 3 played across an abyss to a ledge green on the side of a hill with all manner of evils should you miss long. short or to either side.  When you play thehole as the 10th it is 249 yards long and the angle is slightly different, making it even harder!  Bala is another 9-holer, on a hill top overlooking the largest natural lake in Wales, Lake Bala.  The scenery is magnificent.  The view of the 1st hole, however, is forbidding.  A friend who is a professional golfer with enormously wide experience says that Bala's 1st is the most formidable par 3 he has ever plaed.  It climbs steadily for 231 yards from a low tee to a green on the crest of a hill.  Once again, if you miss you are in serious trouble.  Those who, like me, stand no chance of reaching the green in a single blow must avoid rocky outcrops, banks of gorse and marshy bits in the intervening ground.  With precision needed to avoid these it is a potential card-wrecker for the higher handicap player.  Happily, it is only played once in the round, for the 10th hole is played along the 2nd fairway from a separate tee.  Thereafter the 3rd is played as the 11th, the 4th as the 12th and so on.  The mathematicians among you will have realised that the course would, therefore, end on the 17th hole, but there is a separate 18th, a drop-shot par 3 played from the high ground down to he clubhouse far below.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 09:54:41 AM »

JC-S,

I do not believe Kilspindie originally opened with a short hole.  I'll check the club history and follow up tonight.

Mike

Following up, when Kilspindie held its official opening on November 26, 1898 the current 2nd was the opening hole.  Interestingly, the green on the reknowned 8th hole was then south of its present location.  Within ten years, the present par-three first hole was added and the 8th green was moved north, hard by the bay.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 11:34:03 AM »
Over there:

Royal Lytham
Royal Mid-Surrey
Berkshire Blue
Liphook
Hayling Isl.
Addington
Southport & Ainsdale
West Cornwall
Longcliffe
Ashburnham
Churston
Huntercombe
Purley Downs
City of Derry
Peebles
Dartfortd
West Bowling
Wearside
Llandudno
Liningston
Royal Norwich
Skipes
Colville Park
Houldsworth
Llanymynech
Whitchurch
Withington
Knole Park

And, for good measure, those (over there) with openers and finishers that are par-3s...

Hawick
Didsbury
Bingley
St. Ives
Southwood
Bearsted
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back