News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Jerseygolfermag.com -- Up & running now !
« on: August 07, 2006, 06:08:04 PM »
Gents:

The Jersey Golfer's Website is now up and running. A few more pages are being added and will be up shortly. For those interested in the public course scene in the Garden State you will see the complete article on our bi-ennial top 25 ratings.

In addition, there is the review of Bayonne GC by Eric Bergstol.

Comments are most welcomed.

Ash Towe

Re:Jerseygolfermag.com -- Up & running now !
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 07:21:11 PM »
Matt,
Congratulations on the web site.  It has been a great deal of work for you.  I look forward to reading it on a regular basis.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 08:31:45 PM »
Matt,

Good work!! Congrats on finally spending the dough to finally get real reach and a hardy welcome to the 21st Century

Now you give me an even easier and more accessible place to find soooooo many things to disagree with! ;D ;D

PS....  You are way, way, way off on Neshanic, it's much better than you give it credit..... but I'll be happy to see that kept under the radar for awhile...
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:10:08 PM »
Matt,

That's great.

I think the percentage of ink you devoted to architecture was amongst the highest of any publication.

Steve Lapper,

When I played Neshanic Valley earlier this year, it was in such bad shape that I couldn't recommend it to anyone.

If you were in the rough you ran the risk of having a stone hit you in the eye upon executing your shot, on hole after hole.

That the COUNTY chooses to provide horrible playing conditions should not go unnoticed or uncriticized, and, their ratings should take a direct hit until conditions improve.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:10:35 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:55:29 AM »
Steve / Pat:

Thanks for the comments -- one of the virtues in having a quarterly publication is that we tend to focus on aspects of the game that aren't tied to real time. In addition, the core golf observer in NJ is someone who has a deep passion for the game in a number of areas -- golf architecture being one of them.

While I am a fan of Neshanic Valley I don't see the course being any higher than where it is at this time. Pat raised a few points that certainly played a role in its final position this time around.

On the flip side from a major disappointment perspective is the drop-off completely of The Knoll / West. I am a huge fan of what Charles Banks did there and I salute publicly the desire that George Bahto has provided to many at the course in order to turn things around.

Alas, the facility is still moving at a S-N-A-I-L like pace on a range of subjects. Properly restored / upgraded The Knoll would easily make the state's top ten public. However, that is more dream than reality now and until it happens the layout will suffer the fate of being excluded from our listing.

P.S. We will be adding a few more pages to the Website with various items including a lesson section which features the renowned David Glenz.

In addition, we will be providing in our Fall Issue the updating of the state's top 50 courses. There will be surprises this time around.

Always appreciate comments because it's only with comments can you make for a much more enjoyable and read product.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:43:33 AM »
Matt

Thanks for the link.  The site will be a great asset those seeking info on golf in the region.  Kudos

One comment on the appearance of the page - One sidebar running down the page with photos and information is fine.  The second one (for my eye the one on the right) is really too much and too busy for the page.  I would eliminate it and add content to the bottom.  I think it will appeal to the visuals better.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 11:04:54 AM »
Some notes based on viewing the page in Firefox 1,5.

Stretch the header so that it is displayed in the same width as the main three column grid below it.

Add a bit of padding in the columns so that the content sections get some space between them.

Good luck with the site!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:05:09 AM by Eric Franzen »

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 11:09:41 AM »
http://www.jerseygolfermag.com/

Just making the link a little more explicit.... :)

Looks nice, I'll have to do a little more exploring.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 11:10:58 AM »
Matt,

What's the course rating, yardage from the tips, and slope rating?  

Sorry, couldn't resist.  ;)

Congrats on getting online!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 11:15:56 AM »
Geoff / Eric:

Thanks for the suggestions -- our Webmaster comes cheap but I know he can incorporate the aspects you mentioned.

Mike:

I wanted to include the info but was talked out of it. ;D

The best is yet to come when the state's top 50 is included in our Fall issue. There are some new wrinkles to that one too.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 11:28:55 AM »

In addition, we will be providing in our Fall Issue the updating of the state's top 50 courses. There will be surprises this time around.

Is the surprise Bayonne being #5 in the State on your Fall list?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 11:41:55 AM »
Voytek:

Can't answer that PROBING question just yet. Suffice to say the previous order will see some new things this time around and it's more than just what the new courses have done.

Plenty of restoration work has happened in the two years since our last time around. Ditto from the public side as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back