News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Hickory Golf returning to Fife
« on: August 05, 2006, 12:30:14 PM »
Last year, Tim Liddy and I stopped in at Hill of Tarvit mansion house to take a quick look at the land for the proposed Hickory Course.

I was out for a wee spin in the MX-5 today and thought I'd take another look. How I wish I'd had the camera!

The Course has miraculously appeared out of the dirt and looks like it might be fairly green in a few weeks time. However, I assume they won't play it until next summer.

Maybe Peter McEvoy - if he's looking in - will add to the subject.

Make sure you have a day planned the next time you come to St Andrews. As a National Trust property, the golf is bound to be cheap and should be VERY accessible to all. I will certainly try to play the course as soon as humanly (agronomically?) possible!

Here's the links to the website and a rather interesting Blog:

http://www.golfandthistle.com/return.htm

http://golfandthistle.blogspot.com/

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Alfie

Re:Hickory Golf returning to Fife
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:41:52 AM »
Martin,

Thanks for posting the links. I've been curious about Hill of Tarvit for some time now and what Peter McEvoy's involvement actually was ?

Nice field.

Alfie.

Paul Payne

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 01:09:19 PM »
Martin,

That is a very interesting site. I was really surprised to see the remains of a 200 year old stone drain. I had no idea that golf course maintenance had been that advanced so long ago.

What exactly is a "condie"? I know we have one in the White House on this side of the pond but I was a little unnerved to see you digging up remains of not just one but a few! What is the significance of this?

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 01:39:01 PM »
A condie is old scottish vernacular for a stormwater drain – probably taken from the french for a drain « conduit ».

Stately homes often had condies that transfered storm water to passing streams or rivers. The chances are that the condie in question was not specifically constructed for the golf course but for the «pile ». (slang for a stately home) – although one never knows do one ?

Come to think of it - the White House is a "pile" - makes you ponder?

Paul Payne

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »
Thanks John,

Based on that were you thinking that the stone drain might have been associated with a structure and not necessarily the course?

Alfie

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 06:22:29 PM »
Paul,

I think it's safe to say that the "condie's" were part of the architecture of the mansion house first and foremost. Although they would've been highly beneficial to the drainage of the golf course when it was laid out at a much later date.

We also have "cundy's" which are more generally defined as roadside gutters or flood water traps.

And to confuse everyone further, here's a wee poem ex www.rampantscotland.co.uk website ;

Scottish Poetry Selection
- A Whigmaleerie

"Whigmaleerie" has a number of meanings, including a fanciful notion, a piece of ornamentation in a dress, a game played at a drinking club - and a fantastical contraption. Nowadays, it is often applied to a rotating clothes dryer in a garden. William Souter (1898-1943), the writer of this work, was born in Perth, not far from the village of Auchtergaven mentioned in this poem.

A Whigmaleerie
There was an Auchtergaven mouse
(I canna mind his name)
Wha met in wi' a hirplin louse
Sair trauchl'd for her hame.
'My friend, I'm hippit; and nae doot
Ye'll heist me on my wey.'
The mouse but squinted doun his snoot
And wi' a breenge was by.

Or lang he cam to his ain door
Doun be a condie hole;
And thocht, as he was stappin owre:
"vermin are ill to thole."

Meaning of unusual words:
hirplin=limping
louse=a parasitic insect
trauchl'd=exhausted with overwork
hippit=stiff
heist=aid
snoot=nose
breenge=rush forward recklessly
condie=drain
thole=suffer, put up with

Alfie = big eejit ; trauchl'd and hippit ; crabbit loon ; heid bummer at Arbory.

Paul Payne

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »
Thanks Alfie,

Priceless.

For you this may be mere pub chatter but for someone like me this requires much study. It makes you consider if ancient hyroglyphs were simple graffitti, or ancient scrolls merely pulp fiction.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 06:47:42 PM »
Bonnie Alfie,
hopefully the heid bummers aroond here'll no' mind us screebin' in oor ain dialect fur a wee meenut?

Ah cannae wait fur the day that ah can huv a wee hickory lesson fae a fine dominie sic as yirsel. Mebbe ye'd dae me the grand honour o' playin' the fine new links o' Tarvit when the groond is plenty green enuff for us tae gowf oor ba's the gither?

Them hickory sticks wi'd mak a fine change fae the daft graphite whigmaleeries ah cairry in ma satchel maist days!

awrabestfurnoo,
the PodgySlapheiditSkinthumper.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Alfie

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 07:56:45 PM »
Mertin,

Ah've bin gaun aboot wae a face like a skelpit erse sin playing the gowf wae yon Muldoony frae muckle London ! Ah wiz nae dominie that day, mair donnert and no worth a docken ! Jeest as weel the big loon wiz easy-oasy and nae ramgunshoch !
But noo ah'm feelin' less o' a chunty heid efter talkin' tae a guid Hielanman like yersel.
Here's tae us Mertin - wha's like us - damned few - and thir aw deid ! Eh ? :)

slange mhath,

Alfie

Sean Walsh

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 09:48:45 PM »
FBD and Alfie,

After spending 15-20 minutes deciphering all of that. Many belly laughs.  Not really appropriate here at work but they'll get over it..

No wonder the Poms deciphered enigma in WWII after spending centuries trying to understand Scots, Scousers, geordies etc.  they had a natrual advantage in the field..

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
Posts like Martin's and Alfie's make me wish we had 'audio posts' as well as photo posts on GCA.  Then I could hear what they are trying to write.  I probably wouldn't understand it (I can barely read it), but the lilt and rythm of the verse would be delightful.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Alfie

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »
Paul, Sean, James, et al,

Pleases me no end that you got a good laugh with Martin and I. ;D

And I hope there's as much fun and laughter surrounding the Hill O' Tarvit once they get under way with their hickory golf.

Incidentally, the BBC are running a doc' just now about the North East (Scotland) fishermen, and they all speak the "Doric" ! Some SCOTS aren't too happy with the programme - because the BBC decided to use SUB-TITLES  ;D

aLFIE

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 04:07:06 PM »
Gawdon Bennet! Dearest Alfie, a million gangsta pranks fer a wonderful day aaaht on da links ov old Musslebrough. I Adam an' Eve my od frind what yew were indeed priasin' one's aptitude wiv da wooden sticks an' da gutta percha (althuff I could be wrong) gangsta pranks again. Is da onl thin' we 'ave in common what bof ov us 'ave 'crushed' a feverry. OK me old mucker?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Alfie

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 05:13:04 PM »
Tony,

What the hell was that ? Cockney Doric ? :)

I wonder if they'll have real featheries and gutta's at Hill O Tarvit ? I hope so !

Glad to see you're safely back on home turf. I was worried you might tell tale that I was a crap golfer - but after "that" post I'm sure nobody would believe you anyway ;D

Alfie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back