News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

How would you change this hole?
« on: July 29, 2006, 10:16:20 PM »
There is a story behind this course, which I will soon reveal. But for now the question is, if you owned this golf course, how would you improve this hole?

It's a par-5, approximately 500 yards long. The only bunker is the tiny, shallow one behind the golfer, short-left of the green. If the type of course makes a difference how you'd plan a revision, think of the course as a mid-range daily fee ($70 on the coasts or $40 in the midwest).

It would be great if people could do some "artwork" and post the resulting pictures. I'm working on mine!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:27:50 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Matt_Cohn

Re:How would you change this hole?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 11:08:51 PM »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 11:16:21 PM »
It would be good to know at what distance that depression is.

Also, what is the green like?  Size?  Shape?  Tilt?

What is the turf like?  What direction does the wind come from.

Off the top of the head, a 500 yd par 5 can be reached in two.  This risk vs reward ought to be a part of the new design, methinks.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 11:26:53 PM »
Well, the strategies that are presented by both designs seem to be relatively similar.  However, the bunker style is different, and I included a fairway bunker that the player must challenge in order to gain the best angle into the green.

The "Two Sisters" bunkers are more in play, and create a fun hazard for the player who is unable to reach the green in two.

I would also like to see the course with longer rough outside of the fairways, similar to long fescue. This would penalize a golfer who just bails way right over the two sisters bunkers.  Fescue would also save mowing and add some character and definition to the hole.

Great Exercise!! I love these.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:31:59 PM by Jonathan McCord »
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 11:27:09 PM »
Add a central fairway bunker, maybe even two.

Put them in the middle of the fairway, pretty close to each other (maybe 10 yards apart), and about 285 yards out.
Next put a bunker in the middle of the fairway (again) 20 yards in front of the green.  This shall come in play for those who want a short chip shot or for those short of the fairway bunkers using a longer iron or wood.
Put a deep greenside bunker behind the green but make it blind from the fairway.
Long is dead, and plus, you have to somehow make a short par-5 challenging.
Oh, and also, put a bunker up on the hillside to the right of the green.  Put it 10 yards from the green.  In doing this the golfer will see a small slope that may bound balls onto the green, like to back pins, but it also forces players to make a good shot while the visual appearance allows for the hole's options to be easily seen by the golfer.

Yea, that sounds good.
 :)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 11:40:16 PM »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 11:58:21 PM »
I wouldnt change a thing. And I certainly wouldn't want longer grass anywhere near this hole. It screams "allow thine ball to roll to it's ultimate conclusion".
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 12:09:26 AM »
Here is Jordan Wall's version - he asked me to help him out. I will learn him how to use the paint function soon!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 12:13:24 AM »
I agree with Adam...not sure I see anything that needs to be changed.

It appears that the land has enough movement and interest, and I think we're all a little bunker crazy here.   Not every hole necessarily benefits from centralized bunkering, and although it's certainly not the most visually spectacular hole in the present state, it is certainly minimalist.

The funny thing is that I've played any number of holes at courses that are low-budget which appear similar in style and tone.  Generally, these holes probably benefit from not having much money to put into design and "accessories", yet provide much enjoyment nevertheless.

Yes, we can gussy it up with irregularly shaped bunkers, and adding fescue along the sides, and giving it more of a defined strategy, but sometimes, and I think in this case, it's best to leave well enough alone.  

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 12:22:15 AM »
Mike and Adam,

I see your point, but I also see this hole as:

Beat driver as hard as I can because it doesn't matter where I hit it.

Hit a 5 or 6 iron straight at the pin because it doesn't matter where it goes.

If this course were rock hard, that would be different, but it's not. It's in Indiana!

I would love to see some low-key renovations that keep the budget low but still add SOME kind of strategic interest to the hole.

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 03:42:16 AM »
I'm with Adam and Mike.  Change nothing.  Maybe either eliminate that lone bunker or make it an evil pot that will cost a stroke.  There is enough movement in the land at that hole to capture your interest (if it's maintained as fast and firm as possible). Adding bunkers is just an exercise in Eye Candy 101.

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 04:38:23 AM »
Move all the tee positions up and play it 470 yds from the back as a par four.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:41:09 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Doug Ralston

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 08:39:20 AM »
Put some upscale housing along the right side, and an OB line. That'll inhibit those freeswingers.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 09:16:34 AM »
Matt,
I'd side w/the posts that say leave it (mostly) alone. The terrain is interesting and it's fun to play a hole that allows you to rip one.

Maybe a bunker hidden behind the green might spice it up a bit for the longer players.

p.s. did you fork over your $1,000 yet?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 09:52:30 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

JMorgan

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 10:49:22 AM »
Add some rabbits and sheep.

Ron Farris

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 12:06:03 PM »
I might try this and turn the Irrigation OFF!

Ron Farris

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 12:06:37 PM »
Opps - this is what I meant --

Bill Gayne

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 12:42:15 PM »
I suggest making it an architect tribute hole:

For Rees Jones containment mounding,
For Fazio trees for framing
For Nicklaus a pond in font of the green
For Stantz double the fairways
For RTJ two kidney shaped bunkers around the green at 5 and 7 o'clock.
For Art Hills a concrete cart path down the middle.

Paul Payne

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 12:52:28 PM »
I think it might be interesting to leave it just the way it is but shift the tee box a little bit over to the right (as you look towards the green) This would allow the natural contours to play a little more at an angle to your drive. It would also challenge you to place your tee shot more accurately within the terrain to avoid kicking too far out to the left and end up flirting with the lone bunker if you are going to attempt it in two.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 12:52:31 PM »
Jim figured it out.

This is hole #6 at Augusta Hills Golf Course in Albion, Indiana. The course is sponsoring a closest-to-the-pin contest. Entries close tomorrow.

The entry fee is $1,000 and the winner gets the golf course. Yes, that's correct.

www.augustahillsgolf.com

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
I suggest making it an architect tribute hole:

For Rees Jones containment mounding,
For Fazio trees for framing
For Nicklaus a pond in font of the green
For Stantz double the fairways
For RTJ two kidney shaped bunkers around the green at 5 and 7 o'clock.
For Art Hills a concrete cart path down the middle.

How do you throw Strantz in a list with those names?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2006, 09:23:47 PM »
Put bunkers in the middle and bifurcate the fairway...

JR Potts

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2006, 09:27:18 PM »
Jim figured it out.

This is hole #6 at Augusta Hills Golf Course in Albion, Indiana. The course is sponsoring a closest-to-the-pin contest. Entries close tomorrow.

The entry fee is $1,000 and the winner gets the golf course. Yes, that's correct.

www.augustahillsgolf.com

Let us know how you do!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2006, 10:29:02 PM »
Ha, Ryan, I did...about $1,000 short of having an entry fee. If I had known a month ago, who knows, maybe I could have pieced together 50 guys at $20 each to sponsor me.

But really, 2,500 guys each hitting from 125-135 yards, the winner probably has to hole the shot.

It would have been fun, though.

Then I could have used this post to pick a redesign architect...!   ;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 11:37:49 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back