News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re:Access, money, etiquette and common sense
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2006, 02:08:09 PM »
Yes, Tim Pitner, I'm just kidding around about "breeding".

I was playing golf back east last year.  I invited a young man to play with me, who was a member of a very presitgious east coast club.  His take on proper reciprocation was he pays for the caddie, and I pay the guest fee.  He then reciprocates accordingly.  I kind of sensed that's how they did it on the east coast.

I have mixed feelings about the whole money thing.  Generally I'll let my rich friends pay the guest fee, and cover the less rich friends.

Good topic.  It has been on my mind lately.

TEPaul

« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2006, 02:17:34 PM »
"Finally, the best way to make a bad impression is to ask for access.
Agreed. It's like inviting yourself to someone's home.
It's OK to do it if you've known somebody for 30 years and have drunk hectoliters of booze with him."

SL and Voytek:

I don't see any bad form in inviting yourself to someone's home. What's the problem there?

One time I went over to this nice young lady's house to take her out for the first time wearing a pajama top and she actually told me she thought that was really bad form. I was just floored (or was it she who was just floored?).

Do any of you guys think it's bad form to go over to a nice young lady's house to take her out for the first time wearing a pajama top? Maybe some of you do think that's bad form but I just can't see that it is.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:20:25 PM by TEPaul »

John_Cullum

« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2006, 02:19:44 PM »
Do any of you guys think it's bad form to go over to a nice young lady's house to take her out for the first time wearing a pajama top? Maybe some of you do think that's bad form but I just can't see that it is.

I would say that is perfectly acceptable for you to do that.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

SL_Solow

« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2006, 02:24:32 PM »
Tom;  The question is, how did you ever get to meet a really nice young lady?

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2006, 02:27:52 PM »
"Finally, the best way to make a bad impression is to ask for access.
Agreed. It's like inviting yourself to someone's home.
It's OK to do it if you've known somebody for 30 years and have drunk hectoliters of booze with him."

...Voytek:

I don't see any bad form in inviting yourself to someone home. What's the problem there?

TEPaul - please note that I wrote "HIS home", as we're pretty much almost all male here. Wearing a pajama top in that situation would be, well....interesting. ;D

Tim Taylor

« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2006, 02:31:02 PM »
Tom, I guess that depends on whether or not the pajama top was the ONLY thing you were wearing!

Tim

Anthony Butler

« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2006, 02:37:41 PM »
"Hammy, my Vizsla is the grand daughter of an AKC working group champion."

AnthonyB:

Does that mean your aristocratic Vizsla actually used her paws and got them dirty doing manual working class things and such? I doubt any self-respecting aristocratic dog, particularly the great grand-bitch of a champion, would do such a thing, just as no self-respecting aristocrat would ever think of doing such a thing as getting their hands dirty or using them for manual labor of any sort, including cooking in a kitchen.

As Hamilton B. Hearst knows good and well most of our aristocratic grandmothers and those preceeding them even prided themselves in never even seeing the inside of a kitchen in their entire lives.

These types of people pay a price for this type of thing eventually though. My half brother's grandmother was one of those people. She prided herself in never having seen the inside of a kitchen, particularly her own. (she prided herself on that and also in throwing her half drunk martinis into the fire to see if they would explode ;) ).

Only problem was, at about the age of 80 she came to see my half brother and to spent the night. Unfortunately, she made the mistake of coming alone and the next morning she got up and was really hungry with no one around to bring her the expected tray in bed of whatever she generally was used to. So with hunger pains pounding she ventured alone for the first time in her life into a kitchen, his kitcken.

Eventually he came back to find her in the kitchen with a piece of bread pressed up against the speaker on a portable radio as she twisted the radio's knobs to rock and roll music and static and long-haired music and static and such.

Apparently she thought this might be the way one toasted bread.

So don't hold anything Hamilton B. Hearst says against him. The guy just never got around in the real world that much, I guess, so one can hardly expect him to know better than the things he says on here. ;)

"that's marvelous...'"

I guess there is some kind of dissonance in the concept of a 'well-bred working dog'. But I think that if you go far back enough into anyone's breeding (even Hammy's) you'll find that someone in the family did some work. Our dog is currently working on making the holes in our backyard larger if that counts for anything... :) The rate she's going, I swear to god if Tom Doak got about a hundred Vizsla's he could fire Jim Urbina and his bulldozer!
Next!

Mike Benham

« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2006, 03:20:20 PM »
The rate she's going, I swear to god if Tom Doak got about a hundred Vizsla's he could fire Jim Urbina and his bulldozer!

And to tie this back to architecture, there is a good chance that Vizsla's were involved with some aspect of building Ballyneal ... Hunting at Ballyneal

Anthony's V -

Our V -

"... and I liked the guy ..."

ForkaB

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »
Mike

To bring this back OT, my father's Vizsla was called "Buda."  Can you ship yours over to Hoylake in early October.  We need a mascot.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2006, 03:29:49 PM »
Viszlas are great dogs - hugely intelligent. Did anyone mention they come from Hungary? Makes you think well of that country.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2006, 03:31:40 PM »
All I know - and this is indeed all I know - is that I have a new, very defined goal in life:

I want to drink hectoliters of booze with Voytek Wilczak.

;D ;D ;D

I must say, I love the word "hectoliters."

I also wish to note to Mike Benham that a lob like this - showing pictures of you dog, for god's sake, when I have proclaimed I am out to get you - is just too damn easy.

TH

mike_malone

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2006, 03:35:18 PM »
 That's funny that you say that breed comes from Hungary. Our only dog was an SPCA special with a "houndish" body and a similar size to the dog pictured.

My wife would always tell people she was a rare breed----

A Hungarian Bagelsnatcher
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
We had two Hungarian Pulik (sheepdogs) though we never had them with the dreadlocks.  They are very smart dogs and a terrific family pet.  I do like the Vizlas but we have a West Highland White Terrier and a YorkiPoo.  They're great dogs as well with the Westie my alltime favorite breed.  

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2006, 04:01:45 PM »
Since this thread has gone to the dogs, here's a favorite breed of mine...wonderful eyes:

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2006, 04:02:20 PM »
All I know - and this is indeed all I know - is that I have a new, very defined goal in life:

;D ;D ;D

That won't be a problem, but it will take 30 years. ;D

Hectoliters - you know, the Metric System...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2006, 04:06:38 PM »
Voytek - I know - I still just love the word.

And I also have a lot of time.

;D ;D

BTW, your point was a good one.

TH

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2006, 04:11:10 PM »

;D ;D ;D

That won't be a problem, but it will take 30 years. ;D

Hectoliters - you know, the Metric System...
One hectolitre would be about 300 bottles/cans of beer or 133 bottles of liquour/wine.

But I don't know that American beer counts since, as we say here in Canada, American beer is like making love in a canoe - it's f&^%in close to water!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2006, 04:13:17 PM »
This is getting better and better.  I mean I sort of grasped that a hectoliter was a copious amount beer/booze, but I really didn't get it completely - thanks, Wayne.

BTW, I know I am a very odd cat in that certain works just make me laugh.

;D

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2006, 04:23:33 PM »
Since this thread has gone to the dogs, here's a favorite breed of mine...wonderful eyes:

That's gotta be a Photoshop job.....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2006, 04:23:39 PM »
So a typical hole-in-one costs around "half a hectolitre" of beer if it's a weekend and the clubhouse is full, right?

TEPaul

« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2006, 05:23:15 PM »
"Tom;  The question is, how did you ever get to meet a really nice young lady?"

Because, SL, P.T. Barnum's quotation and sentiment that a sucker is born every minute really is true.  ;)  

Mike_Golden

« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2006, 05:34:50 PM »
I hosted many GCAers during my years at Lake Merced, some on multiple occasions, and, except in one isolated instance, never asked anyone to pay a greens fee or any other cost of playing golf that day.

I've had a few reciprocations over the years, certainly not nearly as many as those I have hosted, but overall I would not change the way I approached it and treasure several non-hosted experiences that have come my way through my friendships at GCA.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2006, 05:39:25 PM »
Hi Mike!

As a recipient of your gracious hospitality many times, let me again say THANKS!  You were, are, and remain a very good egg.  

And you bring up a very good point.  I've said it many times, but the friendships one makes through this site and its predecessors are really the most incredible part of this phenomenon.  I'm proud to consider Mike and many other regulars here as friends, none having disowned me yet even considering my status as America's Guest.

Some day I'm gonna be America's Host... I swear!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Re:
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2006, 05:53:44 PM »
Quote from:  link=board=1;threadid=24814;start=150#msg459331 date=

Is there a plaque to commemorate the occasion?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2006, 06:39:14 PM »
I hosted many GCAers during my years at Lake Merced, some on multiple occasions, and, except in one isolated instance, never asked anyone to pay a greens fee or any other cost of playing golf that day.

I've had a few reciprocations over the years, certainly not nearly as many as those I have hosted, but overall I would not change the way I approached it and treasure several non-hosted experiences that have come my way through my friendships at GCA.

Mike,

You are a good egg, but when you write you have had many GCA'ers as guests, is that 5, 10, 20 or what? For a goodly number of years I always hosted a first time guest, however, when my accountant pointed out a few short years ago that I had entertained something like a hundred golfers over a twelve month period, I changed my policy.

Obviously these were not all GCA'ers as I have visitors from the UK, Australia and South Africa but it seems when it comes to golf in America, all roads lead to Pebble Beach.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back