News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rboyce

GCA in WSJ
« on: July 21, 2006, 10:10:49 PM »
One thing is sure: "Courses with great architecture never go out of style," says Ran Morrissett, a businessman from Southern Pines, N.C., who created and oversees GolfClubAtlas.com, the Web's most popular site for golf-course design buffs. But that doesn't mean opinions about what constitutes great architecture don't change.

Mr. Morrissett calls the postwar period until 1980 the "Dark Ages" of course design. The lead practitioner of the era was Robert Trent Jones Sr., whose roughly 500 courses overall are characterized by length, difficulty (at least from the back tees), bunkers that force high, aerial shots into the greens and limited strategic options. Courses like Firestone Country Club in Ohio and Mr. Jones's Hazeltine in Minnesota are distinctly out of favor among today's architectural cognoscenti. "The notion that, to be great, a course must be difficult to play has been demolished," Mr. Morrissett contends.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115351508026613968.html?mod=hpp_us_editors_picks

Adam Clayman

Re:GCA in WSJ
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:42:23 PM »
The wall street journal and Sports Illustrated all in the same month?
Demolished indeed!

Wtg Ran!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 08:35:48 AM »
To say Hazeltine is out of favor is questionable...Hazeltine is hosting the 2006 US Amatuer and has a modern history no other course built in my lifetime can touch.  Lets not give up on the girl yet.

A history of Hazeltine: http://www.hngc.com/history.cfm?view=3

note: The above may be biased due to my recent continued and failed attempts to gain access to Hazeltine the first weekend of August.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:46:29 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 02:39:16 PM »
"The notion that, to be great, a course must be difficult to play has been demolished," Mr. Morrissett contends.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement.

Yes, there are some dunderheads who have insisted only courses which will provide a test for championship golf can be called "great", and that's certainly a marginal viewpoint now.  But how many "great" courses are there which don't have a fair amount of difficulty to contend with somewhere along the way?

The easiest "great" course I can think of is North Berwick (West) -- which doesn't make the top 100 lists because some class it as too short, or not hard enough.  But there are a lot of difficult shots out there, too.  The Redan did not earn its reputation for being easy.  There are beaches in play, walls to bounce off, out of bounds close at hand, and some nasty bunkers, too.

A great course has to have a certain level of difficulty to it.  The trick is to make those difficulties fun for golfers to try and conquer.

P.S.  No wonder our economy is in such a funk, if the Wall Street Journal is writing about Golf Club Atlas.  The story on The Confidential Guide was more practical ... as an investment tip!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:40:59 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 03:17:24 PM »
Too bad Morrissett isn't being quoted in the Wall Street Journal for his business savvy. If so, we might actually be building the Carthage Club!
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back