News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Coeur D'Alene
« on: July 21, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »
OMG!!!!!
Not this course!!!!!
 :o

Isnt there anybody that likes this course?
Maybe its not too high architecture wise but maybe fun wise is it fun?
How challenging is the course?
Playing it in August and all my friends like it but I would like to hear comments aboiut it from you guys.
Like, how is the routing of holes?
Isnt the floating hole at least kind of cool....?
C'mon, it cant be that bad...

Tom Huckaby

Re:Coeur D'Alene
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »
Jordan:

Save yourself, my friend.  What's said in here and thought in here and accepted in here is NOT necessarily right.  The opinions of your friends have equal validity, if not greater.

The island hole looks very cool - isn't that enough?

The course looks beautiful - isn't that enough?

They take you in a freakin' boat from the hotel to the golf course - isn't that enough?

Man does NOT live by architecture alone.   The game is meant to be played, and there are many ways to achieve fun and joy in so doing.  

There's still hope you can be saved.  But this post, plus you condemnation of #17 Shadow Creek the other day, does have me worried for your golfing soul.

TH
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:02:15 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Robert Kimball

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:01:25 PM »
Scott Burroughs posted some great pictures of it a while back. Not sure if he still has the pictures, but maybe he will chime in later on.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:02:25 PM »
Chime:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17123

Ugh.  That thread 16 months ago said I was "8+" courses behind in posting the pictures I took.  Now I stand at 39 courses behind.   :P
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:40:50 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 12:10:59 PM »
Jordan:

Save yourself, my friend.  What's said in here and thought in here and accepted in here is NOT necessarily right.  The opinions of your friends have equal validity, if not greater.

The island hole looks very cool - isn't that enough?

The course looks beautiful - isn't that enough?

They take you in a freakin' boat from the hotel to the golf course - isn't that enough?

Man does NOT live by architecture alone.   The game is meant to be played, and there are many ways to achieve fun and joy in so doing.  

There's still hope you can be saved.  But this post, plus you condemnation of #17 Shadow Creek the other day, does have me worried for your golfing soul.

TH

I will be going whether the architecture is good or not.

I still know how to have fun
 :)
I still do have fun
 :)
I am just learning more and asking more about the architecture.
I will be sure to give a review of how nice the course was!!
I have absolutely no doubt I will love the island floating thingamajig!!!!!

Huck, what did you think when you played the course?
Did it exceed expectations?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 12:16:30 PM »
Jordan - I have never played the course.

If your aim is to learn about architecture, then of course that's fine.  But from what I hear - which would seem to be the same as you - you will learn nothing at Coeur D'Alene.

I just believe if I had a trip there, I'd be stoked, excited, looking forward to it - even knowing that the "architecture" is supposed to suck.  The last thing I'd do is ask people in here about a course like that.

So OK, this is just an old man speaking:  don't lose what's fun in the game... and don't lose your own opinions.

TH

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 12:17:13 PM »
I hope the owners of that place are making lots of money, because they sure ruined what was supposed to be an all-world park or marina.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 12:23:13 PM »
Jordan - I have never played the course.

If your aim is to learn about architecture, then of course that's fine.  But from what I hear - which would seem to be the same as you - you will learn nothing at Coeur D'Alene.

I just believe if I had a trip there, I'd be stoked, excited, looking forward to it - even knowing that the "architecture" is supposed to suck.  The last thing I'd do is ask people in here about a course like that.

So OK, this is just an old man speaking:  don't lose what's fun in the game... and don't lose your own opinions.

TH
Huck,

Playing golf with my friend on a course he loves.
I am gonna have a blast man!!

Part of the reason I am asking about the architecture, is because perhaps courses are overlooked (architecture-wise) of what it had to offer simply because it was contrived...?

One of the things I dont understand, is when courses (like CD) are more, contrived, then it is almost like automatically the architecture is bad.
#13 is a great looking hole, a good risk reward hole correct?
Why is the architecture considered bad at CD?
Because the course is contrived?
A contrived course not make the architecture bad.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 12:32:24 PM »
The dumb blone award of all time could go to Coeur D'Alene. Great turf shape -- great views -- but no depth. Head to Spokane or over to Black Rock if the opportunity permits.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:32:32 PM »
Jordan:

I had a quick look at the course a couple of years ago, while meeting a potential client out there.

Most of the criticism of the course must come from the fact the property is so small.  I think it's 115 acres ... the floating island green had a somewhat practical origin, in that it was suggested as a means of increasing the acreage of the course.  With that small of a property it was inevitable that some holes were going to be jammed into corners and that the designer could not just build what he thought was ideal.

The goal from the beginning was to build a premier RESORT, and so what you will learn is probably more about what they thought they needed from a golf course for the resort to get a world-class reputation ... and from everything I've read over the years, they seem to have succeeded on that front.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 01:05:32 PM »
Jordan:

I had a quick look at the course a couple of years ago, while meeting a potential client out there.

Most of the criticism of the course must come from the fact the property is so small.  I think it's 115 acres ... the floating island green had a somewhat practical origin, in that it was suggested as a means of increasing the acreage of the course.  With that small of a property it was inevitable that some holes were going to be jammed into corners and that the designer could not just build what he thought was ideal.

The goal from the beginning was to build a premier RESORT, and so what you will learn is probably more about what they thought they needed from a golf course for the resort to get a world-class reputation ... and from everything I've read over the years, they seem to have succeeded on that front.

Succeeded they have.

I know they sold the course to me, at least!!!

I'll see how I like it.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »
Jordan I'm glad you brought up the topic. Scott Miller is a name that is rarely brought up around here and I look forward to finally heading over to we-ko-pa in August (got to love dirt cheap golf in 110 degrees!).

Coeur D'Alene was always a fun course to play on the Tiger Woods series and I would imagine its the same in person. Look forward to what you have to say about this one.

Can anyone compare this to some of Scott Millers other work?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
Its worth one play, especially if you can play Black Rock
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 05:56:29 PM »
"Succeeded, they have"..

Right, the laddie is obviously more influenced by Star Wars than by GCA. The time has come for one of our wealthier benefactors (or maybe Corporate Sponsors - Yahoo, perhaps?) to fund a trip this side for young Master Wall and a competent Parent or Guardian.

Come awa' ower, laddie and see the REAL THING!!! Couer d'alene, I ask you...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 05:58:27 PM »
Jordan...a much better, and more fun course, is the Coeur D' Alene muni....a nice old course thru towering pines. A bargin at $25.

I would then drive down to the rez and play Circling Raven...1/2 the price of the Resort course and in my opinion more challenging, very well maintained....Black Rock is a great option if you can get on it.

The floating green at the Resort course is a big fat gimmick...it looks good on sales brochures...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 06:08:35 PM »
Jordan...this trip is in August?  Heck, drive another 200 miles over the Divide and come play Canyon River with me...we can then drive over to Deer Lodge and see Doaks course....I hear they have 11 greens in now and two more should be done by early next week....they even have water now, and should begin growing some grass soon...think how cool it would be to see the grow in!!!!

Then we'll hit the Old Works....just think, for LESS than the cost of one round at The Resort course, you can play a brand new and very good Brian Curley course, see a Doak course BEFORE it becomes famous,and play one of Nicklaus's better designs.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 06:09:19 PM »

The time has come for one of our wealthier benefactors (or maybe Corporate Sponsors - Yahoo, perhaps?) to fund a trip this side for young Master Wall and a competent Parent or Guardian.

Why waste the money on the youth?  I can drink beer legally.  

Craig Sweet

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 06:15:41 PM »
"Why waste the money on the youth?  I can drink beer legally."

Me too! And I can be a competent guardian if need be! ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 07:37:57 PM »
Is Black Rock private?

Troy Alderson

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »
Jordan,

Yes Black Rock is very private, good luck getting on.

I am from the area and the CDA Resort is a fun course.  My only complaint is being forced into a golf cart that cannot leave the path, AT ALL.  Still a fun course.

Play the CDA muni, better overall value than the Resort course.  Head north to Avondale in Hayden and play the best course for the money in the area.  My old stomping grounds.  The superintendent there was offered the CDA Resort job and declined because of the hours.  The owner of CDA Resort liked how Avondale was maintained.

CDA Resort is a must play for the experience and boat ride.  Let us know what you shoot, because better players tend to play the course easier.  The owner did not build the course to challenge the golfer but to have the golfer enjoy the round and come back for more.

Troy

Craig Sweet

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 08:23:07 PM »
Troy...you're right...Avondale is a nice course...well maintained, and fun. I played it once last year....very enjoyable.  I think Jordan might like The Links in Post Falls...yes, I know, you have to use your imagination a little cus' it truly isn't a links course...but its fun when the wind is blowing....

Don't you think he would also enjoy a couple of those courses over in Spokane?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 08:30:56 PM »
If you never play a bad course , how would you recognise a good one ? .

Jordan , take them all as they come .
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 08:31:47 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Troy Alderson

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 08:31:29 PM »
Craig,

Jordan would enjoy some of the munis in Spokane; Indian Canyon, Donwriver, Qualchan Creek.  Hangman is a good county muni with Hangman creek in play on four holes and they may have just got a new irrigation system.

IMHO, the best overall golf course in the Spokane/CDA area is...Avondale.  I have not played Circling Raven yet in Worley.

Troy

Craig Sweet

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 08:38:25 PM »
Troy...I thought Canyon was pretty nice....but heck, coming from Montana, any course with trees is enjoyable :) I haven't played Qualchan Creek, but I've heard good things....

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back