News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

A rules question
« on: July 20, 2006, 02:37:51 PM »
I hit an approach shot very high at Hoosier Links, with the greens VERY soft. I looked for a while and couldnt find my ball, though I was certain I had hit the green. Then, just as I started to give up, I noticed a hole in the shady part of the green about 8 ft from the pin. Yep, I was completely imbedded below the surface.

How is that to be played?

I will tell you I just picked it up, cleaned it, fixxed the ball mark, then placed it same distance one clubhead sidewise. Did I have to play an explosion [bet the greenskeeper would take a dim view]? Fix the mark and sit it ON that mark?

Doug

JohnV

Re:A rules question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 02:42:34 PM »
You should mark the location, lift the ball, clean it, fix the ball mark and replace the ball on the same spot where it was embedded.

Rule 16-1b allows you to lift it and clean it, but says it must be replaced (not placed somewhere else.)  Rule 16-1c allows you to fix the ball mark.

If you were to accidentally move your marker while fixing the ball mark, you would replace it with no penalty.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 02:48:52 PM »
Thanks;

I was afraid it was something like that. Since I was not in competition, I really don't regret my convenient interpretation. Even after such repair as I could make, there was quite a mess there, and it certainly woulda decreased my already atrocious putting accuracy.

You know, I realize that it is theoretically within the rules to chip while on the putting surface, but I would wager the greenskeeper would consider a 'skulled 7-iron' as an appropriate intervention if I had.

Doug

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »
Doug, John is right but you also have the right to play the ball as it lies or plugged if you want. Think of the challenge and the sense of achievement if you hole it. A real story for the grand children. Don't forget to replace the divot!

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:57:51 PM »
I don't think you need the embedded rule... the ball is on the green so you can mark it and clean it.
Then, since you're on the green, you're entitled to repair ball marks...

no ruling required

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 04:22:23 PM »
I don't think you need the embedded rule... the ball is on the green so you can mark it and clean it.
Then, since you're on the green, you're entitled to repair ball marks...
Technically not on the green, but in the green.  Adds new meaning to the phrase "through the green".

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:24:33 PM »
You should mark the location, lift the ball, clean it, fix the ball mark and replace the ball on the same spot where it was embedded.

Rule 16-1b allows you to lift it and clean it, but says it must be replaced (not placed somewhere else.)  Rule 16-1c allows you to fix the ball mark.

If you were to accidentally move your marker while fixing the ball mark, you would replace it with no penalty.

John,

Should the competitor, mark, move the coin with putter and then clean to avoid moving their marker? Is that legal or proper?

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 07:39:04 PM »
Glenn, he could do that and it would probably be a good idea if the ball mark was under the marker was going to be placed or there was a good chance it would be moved.  As long as the same process is taken in replacing it and then the ball there would be no problem with that.

peter_p

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 08:57:10 PM »
Wayne,
That reminds me of my only hole-in-one, where someone said couldn't get the KP because I wasn't on the green.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 09:44:40 PM »
Doug:

Not only is the embedded ball local rule not needed in this situation, basically the embedded ball local rule could not apply as it only covers situations "through the green" which are all areas of the course other than teeing ground, all "hazards" on the course and putting greens. Furthermore, the "Embedded Ball" Local Rule's relief procedure requires dropping the ball as near as possible and one does not drop the ball in relief situations on putting greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back