News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re:Courses you have not played but "need to see in your lifetime"..
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2006, 12:54:21 PM »
And let's get back on topic ...  

Question/clarification:  Need to SEE or need to PLAY ?

If seeing without playing is the question, the answer for me is none ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2006, 12:56:19 PM »
Scott,

The guy who accused you of not having HD started it...You have to imagine how funny it was to see a cat fight first thing in the morning about what kind of TV's guys have.  I don't know what I would do if someone accused me of having a cell phone...I'd call him on it too...

I'm sorry for saying you were catty...

Tim Pitner

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »

Second.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 12:57:15 PM »

Great catch.  Put me down for none as well.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2006, 12:58:59 PM »

Mike,

For a 9...The Confidential Guide says "You should see this course sometime in your life."  I would say that since I have seen ANGC I have met the requirement..I would agree that all lovers of golf should see that course..

George Pazin

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2006, 01:01:54 PM »
There are only two "needs" for me, and I'd be just as happy seeing them as playing them.

Well, almost as happy.

Well, kinda happy.

One's the obvious one down under, the other will cause a heart attack for JakaB, so I won't say it out loud.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2006, 01:02:15 PM »
Interesting distinction.

I'm still going with Mike.  I'd love to see Augusta and certainly wouldn't turn down a chance at a Masters ticket.  BUT... I wouldn't want to walk it sans playing outside of the Masters.

Playing the game is what it's all about.  Perhaps not for Doak and many in here... but definitely for me.

TH

ps - JK - interesting you apologize to Scott, while I still wait, even though your digs at me were based on lack of reading skills and lack of information... That's OK, I know you mean to say it.   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2006, 01:03:08 PM »
the other will cause a heart attack for JakaB, so I won't say it out loud.

Come on... he deserves a heart attack today... spit it out!  I think I know but I'm not sure....

Sebonac

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2006, 01:04:44 PM »
Everybody should put Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs on your list....afterwards you will wonder why Pebble Beach is such a big deal.

George Pazin

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2006, 01:06:14 PM »
I could see Cape Kidnappers, but I couldn't play it, at least judging from the photos.

Huck, I'll let JakaB guess it himself.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2006, 01:09:34 PM »
I think the Doak showed why he is a true student of the game when he used the word see instead of play in his criteria.  Enough said..

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »

One that is definitely not obvious and I yearn to see is Carne, Eddie Hackett's jewel up in the north west corner of Ireland. Have a look at www.carnegolflinks.com if you haven't already and you will see what I mean.

Anyone been there?

Bob Jenkins

Mike Benham

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2006, 01:26:22 PM »
I think that (ed) Doak showed why he is a true student of the game when he used the word see instead of play in his criteria.  Enough said..

Doak is in Graduate School if not on his way to a Phd, the rest of us are between 1st and 12th grade.

He gets paid to see, visualize, create and invent a course, the rest of us do it for free.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 01:39:08 PM »
Barney,

This is the same infraction for which you suspended my tour card.  Nonethless, I think it's a good question.  I interpret "need to see" as courses that capture one's imagination or tickle some fancy.  

These popped into my mind:

Fenway - I love that tiny green in Ran's profile, and I'm Tilly deficient.

Dornoch - ever since I read Wind's North to the Links of Dornoch over 30 years ago.

Cruden Bay (maybe with a stop-over at Stonehaven thanks to James Finegan)

Lawsonia

Seminole or Plainfield - I'm enamored with Ross.

Palmetto - To Mackenzie what Mid-Pines is to Ross.

Pacific Dunes - I need to see first-hand just how good Tom Doak is - Quail Crossing isn't a fair barometer, is it?

A course or two in England or Wales recommended by Paul Turner.  

Riviera.  I've never played a Geo. C. Thomas, Jr. course and need to ease my mind that the man wasn't some kind of knuckle-head based upon my reading Golf Architecture in America .

My "like to see" list is much longer and would be topped by Pine Valley, but there's just no jones there for some reason.  Also, let me apologize to our brothers in Australia and Ireland.  I started to add Yale, Friars Head and Sebonac but deep down I'd just be pandering.  

Mike
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:40:21 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jim Nugent

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2006, 01:55:19 PM »
All the real good courses except Portmarnock, Riviera, Olympic and St. Louis CC.  

Gene Greco

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2006, 02:36:06 PM »
     Royal Melbourne
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Matt MacIver

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2006, 02:38:48 PM »
Wade Hampton, Grandfather, CC of Charleston, Yeaman's Hall, Long Cove, Cuscowilla, Tobacco Road.  

I would rather play an average course with friends than examine one alone.  

I would rather examine one with some of you than with my friends -- what do they know?!

Doug Ralston

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2006, 02:56:04 PM »
Matt;

Betcha they know what THEY like for a course, just like us. They may not be as able to debate the virtues, but bet they know which please them and which do not.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2006, 03:01:47 PM »
Private: Cypress Point

Public: Tobacco Road

Kirk Gill

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2006, 03:26:50 PM »
My introduction to the world of golf courses was from a book I was given when I was a teenager. I've never found it since, but it contained drawings of courses around the globe, and from the beginning the one that I compulsively wanted to play was Royal Dornoch. None of my friends had ever heard of it, and I'd never heard of it either, but just the look of the drawing made me want to play it, and I used to tell people that my ultimate job would be greenskeeper at Royal Dornoch........There are so many courses I'd like to play, want to play, even YEARN to play, but that's the ONE I "need to see before I die."
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2006, 06:23:39 PM »
I have all the usual suspects on my list of what I need to see (NGLA, Pine Valley, Merion, Shinny, Sand Hills, Cypress, etc..)

For the not as usual:

Metro NY (Where I live)

Fenway GC (ever since I saw Ran's profile)
Apawamis (I am intrigued by shorter courses for some reason, possibly because they are high in Fun Factor)
Century (I am interested in seeing anything by Colt)

UK (a few examples)

St. George's Hill
Swinley Forest
Macrihanish

Architects (old and new)

Raynor
Colt
Flynn

C&C
Engh (Flemma's write ups have me quite interested)
Devries (I can't stop looking at the Kingsley website)

**This list is subject to change with mood.  I've really got so much to see.**
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:24:29 PM by Dave Bourgeois »

Jack_Marr

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2006, 06:27:44 PM »

One that is definitely not obvious and I yearn to see is Carne, Eddie Hackett's jewel up in the north west corner of Ireland. Have a look at www.carnegolflinks.com if you haven't already and you will see what I mean.

Anyone been there?

Bob Jenkins

Bob - I'm a member there, although i haven't got out for over a year and a half. I will have to get out there in the next few months to see the changes.
John Marr(inan)

Mark Arata

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »
I could name 50, but will limit to 15 in the US, since I have never been overseas, those courses are pretty obvious...

1)Sand Hills
2)National
3)Shinnecock
4)Pine Valley
5)Crystal Downs
6)Yale
7)San Francisco
8 )Ballyneal
9)Friar's Head
10)Los Angeles CC North
11)Pinehurst #2
12)Oakmont
13)Seminole
14)Shadow Creek
15)Monterey Peninsula
15 a) Marion
15 b) Sebonack
15 c) Winged Foot

Ok, so it is 18, so sue me...........

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:41:56 PM by Mark Arata »
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Doug Bolls

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2006, 07:19:58 PM »
What an interesting question - the nest question is "why do you want to see them - what are you looking for?"
I am on this lifetime quest to play 1000 different courses - I am closing in on 600.  There are courses I have heard about that have some architectural and historical significance - North Berwick because of the Redan Hole - that you just have to see if you love golf.  I'll see that one next April.

I have not seen Pine Valley, but from what I read on GCA, I should see it.  Since I am a novice at looking at courses from an architectural perspective, how should I approach the course?  If you were walking PV with me, what would you point out that would help me understand why this course is always #1?
Cypress Point?
Merion?
Chicago?

What are the "landmark" courses that one should see to understand the significant architectural contributions to the game?
Doug

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2006, 07:23:58 PM »
Left on my list are the fine courses in Aus/NZ, England country side and Northern Ireland and Toronto.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:48:28 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back