News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Last year I was lucky enough to play Canyata...which limits any local need to sees for me (excluding Chicago).  Without naming the obvious...what need to sees are left for you..

JESII

Re:Courses you have not played but "need to see in your lifetime"..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:58:41 AM »
Fisher's Island and Sand Hills.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:02:22 AM »
John,

My list to see is longer than my "have done".

Chicago is in there, as is Indiana.

I also need to spend about a month in the British Isles and another in Austrailia at some point.

Oakmont is probably my number one in terms of realistically happening in the near future, however.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:06:00 AM by Mike Cirba »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:02:47 AM »
Unfortunately too many to number...

But my top five would be:

Pine Valley
San Francisco Golf Club
Cypress Point
Sand Hills
Anything designed by Tom Doak

Brian Noser

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 11:04:33 AM »
Well mine is weird. other then the obvious it is Hammock Dunes, just out side of Daytona Beach. My parents have been going to daytona for years and it was a course that was always Private and for some reason I always wanted to play it. I know nothing about it other then it sits on the ocean. just kind of a weird one I guess.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:10:07 AM »
I want to see St. Louis, Myopia Hunt, Charles River, Fox Chapel, Onwentsia, Shoreacres and I want to see Chanticleer also.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 11:10:15 AM »
I think the list for many of us would be what you'd expect.  But there are always those nearby ones you've always wanted to see, like Brian's Hammock Dunes above...

For me, in New England, its The Orchards, Worcester CC, Point Judith, Wannamoisett, Sakonnet, RI CC, Metacomet, Oyster Harbors, Woods Hole, Prout's Neck, Bald Peak, Dedham Polo, Duxbury Yacht Club, Burlington CC (VT), Dorset Field Club, Augusta CC.....i'm sure there are more, I didn't even get to CT... ;)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 11:10:19 AM »
Brian,

I was that way about St. Louis CC....Thanks GCA...

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:14:16 AM »
This one is a little like Brians-I wan to play Redstick in Vero Beach, FL. More or less cause they have bentgrass greens in Florida...

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

rjsimper

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 11:20:21 AM »
Within an hour or two of my home, Riviera, Wilshire, and the Valley Club...even Hillcrest.

I would probably put Barona Creek on there as well.

There are literally dozens more that I have on my "someday, I swear" list...but these are they of local interest.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 11:25:23 AM »
I'm with Ryan - on the state/national/world level, there are dozens if not hundreds that I know about and want to see.

Locally... it's weird, kinda cool/kinda sad, but I literally have nothing left.  There are many in the Sacto/Tahoe/Reno area I need to see, but closer in, I have seen every course I want to see.

Which of course should surprise no one.

Whoops!  Just thought of one:  Ruby Hills in Pleasanton.  I've seen nine holes, never played any there though.  From all I hear it's very tough but no great shakes... still I do want to see it.  I'm sure I will at some point.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 11:26:43 AM »
Huck,

Have you seen The Institute..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 11:30:33 AM »
JK - I think I've seen as much of it as anyone else here!  I drove up and peaked in awhile back.  You can't see much.

But yes, I guess we can add that one.  But since it's basically a private course with the private meaning "open only to the friends of one man", I don't count it as real.... much like the county doesn't seem to either.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 11:34:48 AM »

But yes, I guess we can add that one.  But since it's basically a private course with the private meaning "open only to the friends of one man", I don't count it as real.... much like the county doesn't seem to either.

Well, I should have known that courses that don't give raters access wouldn't count....I guess the rest of us mortals should only talk about publics...Go google yourself..

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 11:35:14 AM »
JakaB -

Sounds like another thread promoting/identifying/calling out "access" ...

However ;) I'll say Victoria National ...

MB
"... and I liked the guy ..."

tlavin

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 11:35:25 AM »
Within an hour or two of my home, Riviera, Wilshire, and the Valley Club...even Hillcrest.

I would probably put Barona Creek on there as well.

There are literally dozens more that I have on my "someday, I swear" list...but these are they of local interest.

I never thought I'd see Wilshire on a "need to play" list, but I gotta tell you I've played it a couple times and I really enjoyed it.  It's not that big of a golf course, but the holes are fun and interesting and the greens might be the best I've ever putted.

I've played a lot of great courses, but not that many by comparison to others, but I probably have ten on the "need to" list, including Pine Valley, Augusta National, National Golf Links and Shinnecock.  In fact, I probably just need to camp out in New York and play a bunch of those great courses.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:36:11 AM by Terry Lavin »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »
JK - you really have this rater crap on the brain.  You need some serious chilling.

I can count on one hand the number of local courses I've played via course ranking.... and give you the thumb and middlefinger...

I'd love to play The Institute - who wouldn't?  

So sure, count that one.  I just don't see it as existing - same as the county.

TH
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:40:07 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 11:39:20 AM »
And then there are the public tracks that i've neglected to see so far in NE, there really aren't too many I haven't been to that I want to see:

North Kingstown Muni (Walter Johnson supposedly)
The Ranch (in MA) Damien Pascuzzo
Cranberry Valley...nice course on the Cape
Woodstock Inn (est. 1900ish, Ross, RTJ now)
Sunday River GC (brand new)
North Conway CC (very old)
St. Johnsbury GC (Park F9)
Canterbury Woods (new, Ron Forse)

and the Maine group Simper is hopefully still coming over for in Oct.:

Kebo Valley
Castine
Wawenock
Northeast Harbor
Samoset
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 11:39:57 AM »
JakaB -

Sounds like another thread promoting/identifying/calling out "access" ...

However ;) I'll say Victoria National ...

MB

Mike,

Any registerd poster on this site is always welcome by me...handsome or not..

btw: I can't seem to secure a tee time at Hazeltine for my upcoming vist to Mayo...thank God I don't need to see it as I don't think I could take the pressure.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 11:42:29 AM »
JK - you really have this rater crap on the brain.  You need some serious chilling.

I can count on one hand the number of local courses I've played via course ranking.... and give you the thumb and middlefinger...

I'd love to play The Institute - who wouldn't?  

So sure, count that one.  I just don't see it as existing - same as the county.

TH

Huck,

The only way any of us who are not connected play private courses is by knowing a member/owner...You saying The Institute doesn't count because you can't play it on a whim is insulting...I was just giving you a reality check.  

Doug Ralston

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 11:42:34 AM »
With so little experience at playing great courses [none, actually], I must go by what I have seen somewhere. Of PGA courses, surely no one can watch 'The Masters' and not want to play AN [especially #12].

And any 600 yrs old course would be incredible ..... oh, yeah, only one of those.

I lived in TN a while, and heard constantly of an amazing and snotty private; so The Honors course.

Online I have seen a few 'wish list' courses. When searching golfcourse.com for something in S IN to play, found Victoria National. Took me an hour to realize it was private, and my plans were moot. [But, who knows  :-X].

GCA got me interested in a 'supercourse' on a truly ugly piece of terrain. Sand Hills might be OK. *snicker*

Obviously many others, but I think John meant the REALLY wish list, not just everything you could think of.

But YOU should want to play more 'mountain golf'.

Doug

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 11:46:02 AM »

I really haven't seen anything east of the Mississippi.  

Old guys - I haven't seen anything by Raynor, Tillinghast, Thomas, Colt, McDonald ....

New guys - Moran, Andrews, Mingay, Young and the others in the GCA world

Here in Oklahoma I still want to see Twin Hills, OKC and Hillcrest.

Texas - Gonna make it to the Rawls course someday. Like to see Nuzzo's course outside Houston.

Still want to play Pebble Beach and Pinehurst #2.

Australia - Royal Melbourne.

Scotland - The Old Course, Royal Dornoch.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 11:46:49 AM »
JK:

Gotcha.  I'm sure you'll live with the insult.

I'm laughing at you seeming to think I can play anywhere on a whim though.... oh how I wish that were true.

But you actually do make a decent point.

I just wish at some point you'd get off my ass, though.  When does my trial end?

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 11:53:55 AM »

I just wish at some point you'd get off my ass, though.  When does my trial end?

Huck,

Sometimes I find myself cussing you under my breath when I think how much easier my life would be at an all male club...You are not on trial.  I just can't sit back and let people be influenced by idiocy and not respond.  Look at young Jordan's recent post concerning Shadow Creek...I'm afraid he is already lost..

note:  I'm not blaming you for him..That is more Tommy's fault.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 12:01:50 PM »
JK -   if that was idiocy, it must be one perfect world you live in.

Best of luck policing the site... on the one hand I remain glad to have your service... but on the other, well... you do need a bit of understanding that not everything one says on here is meant to be a manifesto.  Talking out of one's ass and/or lighthearted comments are fine and dandy as well.

And it's rather funny me suggesting that to you!

;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:04:38 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back