News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Great holes without hazards
« on: July 19, 2006, 09:41:02 AM »
What holes would you define as great that have no hazards whatsoever? No bunkers, lakes, streams or OB... nothing.

What makes the hole great and/or challenging?

Mike_Cirba

Re:Great holes without hazards
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 09:56:34 AM »
The 14th at Augusta is the poster child for this concept.

A great green can create interest back to the tee.

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:59:02 AM »
14th at ANGC. (Though it originally had a large bunker along the right side of the LZ.)

What makes it great is the hole's contouring.

Anything right of center off the tee will bounce right off the fairway.

The greatness of the contouring of the green needs no discussion. You'd better approach from the correct angle (depending on the pin) or you got no chance.

Bob

Eric Franzen

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:00:41 AM »
14th at Royal Dornoch. Once again a hole (445 yds long) without bunkers or other hazards that is equipped with a great green.

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:08:24 AM »
Foxxy is a good catch.

I would add the 2nd at Cruden with its volcano-esque green.

Bob

Tom Dunne

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 10:21:30 AM »
My course guide is at home, but I think the 9th at Lahinch is hazardless...it's a great hole either way. It's got a terrific Mackenzie green, one of the only ones left on the course. From the tee, you've got loads of room to the right, but your approach is obscured by a high dune. It's really hard to hold the narrow green from that angle, and there's a super-steep dropoff to the left. Lahinch's website says the right side of the fairway is preferable to the left (where you'll often wind up with a blind approach), but I find this hard to believe. Standing on the tee, it looks so straightforward (at least by Lahinch standards), but the ninth is anything but.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back