News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mitch Hantman

Re:Jack Nicklaus' Best Design?!
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 09:38:06 AM »
Jason,

As far as I know, it was Nicklaus' design team alone.  I don't know of any other architects that shared in the project.  It counts for the purposes of this discussion.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 09:43:40 AM »
I would imagine that I have to wait for the Nicklaus' Worst Design thread to come up for Country Club of the North. ;D  This course has to be among the biggest flops in the last 15 or so years. Anyway, I would say the Village is my favorite Nicklaus, with Harbour Town right there if they count. Does anyone else think that The Concession is going a little to far for that incident? Seems like a lot for what took place to me, an entire golf course?

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 09:49:08 AM »
The thread originated with his solo design efforts, so MV and Harbor Town not included in this thread.  

Fair argument that to build an entire course around a two foot putt may be over the top, it at least gets the place an original name.

What's next, Provisional G & CC?  Embedded Ball Links?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 09:52:01 AM »
Mitch,

I like the sound of Provisional. ;D Your Honor, Your Honor Country Club would be my favorite though. ;D

Greg Tallman

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 08:32:17 PM »
Would have to list Muirfield and The Ocean Course in a dead heat... Being from the general area I love the feel of Muirfield Village and golf on the ocean has its own allure. Both are compelling designs.

I have not seen Mayacama but may be heading that way soon to check out what I understand is an excellent, and difficult course.

To respond to a couple of questions/comments about The Ocean Course at Cabo del Sol. Jim Lipe came in in the middle of the project as lead associate and continues to be the point person for any tweaks made to the course while Jack comes in frequently as well and has spent a fair amount of time reviewing the course for potential changes that he has a standing invitation to propose.

We have implemented a number of such changes that range from bunker addition #3, #18 & #16 to green relocation at #16 and continue to entertain broader changes that have the potential to be incredible.

If you take away Muirfield I'd then say
Cabo del Sol and Mayacama stand apart from the rest. Perhaps May River as well (again relying on relatively credible sources for that).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:50:09 PM by Greg Tallman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back