News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjsimper

Re:Fiercest Individual Bunkers in American Golf
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 01:53:21 AM »
The inside dogleg on 8 at Stone Eagle.  Unfortunately, in my one round I hit a poor tee shot so I really don't know how much this is or is not in play from the tips -

How about the greenside bunker on 18 ...

Honestly I don't remember it well enough to agree or disagree except to say that on my second shot, I took enough club that I missed the green long, so I know I must have been afraid!

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
The bunker to the LEFT of the green at #10 at Pine Valley.  The Devil's ......

The bunker fronting #13 at Merion with its wispy interior grassing - nasty...and in theory, isn't the entire quarry there a bunker???

The bunker to the right side of the 8th green at Yale.

The tee shot over #16's vast wasteland at PVGC...

#1 - Hell's Half Acre on #7 at PVGC...

JWK
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 07:04:02 AM by James W. Keever »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 08:18:33 AM »
And the virtue, for a course architect, of having 'the fiercest bunker in American Golf' is?  *stare*

Doug

BCrosby

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 08:30:18 AM »
The bunker fronting the 17th green at The Honors. Impossible.

Any of 8 or 9 bunkers at Sand Hills. Almost impossible.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 08:41:07 AM »
Fairway bunker on the left side of #8 at Wild Horse in Gothenburg, Nebraska.  Anyone who has played there knows which one I'm talking about!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Doug Ralston

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2006, 08:46:42 AM »
Why not make bunkers around the green that actually slant more than verical. I know, I know, eventually they would cave in on a golfer, burying him under the green. But hell, that'll teach him not to hit a lousy approach at YOUR course!

Again, what is the virtue of 'fierce' bunkers?

Doug

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 09:00:30 AM »
even though this is about the US, I'll nominate Tom D's sneaky little surprise to the left of the green on 17 at St. Andrew's Beach Gunnamatta as a bunker best avoided...

Brad Tufts

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 10:20:03 AM »
Left bunkers on #s 2 and 8 at Yale...flat bottomed, but easily 20-30 feet below the green.  #13 @ the Governors Club in NC, the bunker is probably 40-50 feet below the edge of the green.

The waste bunker to the right of the 11th green at Essex CC.  Complete with shrubs and islands, the wild green runs steeply away from you....keeping a bunker shot on the green from here (and you have 50 feet) is quite a challenge.

The fronting bunker on #13 at Merion.  You shouldn't be in there considering the hole is 135 yards, but if you are, the lip is curling above your head, and your ball is amongst the grasses planted in the sand.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 10:40:17 AM »
Adam,

Are you talking about the small bunker adjacent to the green, the bigger pit just to the right of that, or the combination of the two on #17?

Tim, The rightside bunker that I was in had it's own 15 foot tall mesa of sand, that required an explosion shot on steroids to get over and find the putting surface.

Now i'm not sure how deep the feared road hole bunker is, but 15' it ain't.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JSlonis

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2006, 10:48:36 AM »
James,

The Devil's "anal orifice" is not left of the green, it is located at the front right of the green.

In the picture below, the construction of the "DA" looks even more menacing and difficult.  I'm not sure when the change took place. It's definitely an older picture, because the cedar trees left of the green on the 18th tee are no longer there:

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but the bunker to the left of the Par 3, 18th green at Garden City GC is very deep and nasty.  I'm sure that many a good round has gone to die in there, due to a pulled or hooked tee shot.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:55:46 AM by JSlonis »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2006, 10:56:48 AM »
Adam:

If there was a 15-foot deep bunker to the right of the 17th green at Sand Hills, it's the wind that dug it, and it's probably been filled back in by now.  Similar to the bunker in front of 18 green at Pacific Dunes that someone asked me about.

Doug R:

I think there is some value in having one or two hazards on a course which people are really afraid of.  Having "the most fierce" or a hazard that is really IMPOSSIBLE to get out of, is not something I would aspire to.

Michael Robin

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »
How about these great par 3 defenders:

1. 15th at Bandon Dunes
                       2. 4th at Riviera
                       3. 17th at Pacific Dunes

Adam Clayman

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »
Michael, There were bunkers on the fourth hole?  :)

Tom, I do have one Slagbert of the great wet north
who witnessed said bunker shot.
Now, I may be off by a few feet but clearly in
 Ran's profile, the picture on the third page shows the mesa.

I  have heard Dick does enjoy riding heavy equiptment every spring,
so filling it in may have occured,
As I recall it did face the NW.

It will be greatest honor to research this soon. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:52:33 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »
Mr. Slonis -

I was not referring to the Aperature, I was referring to the trench bunker to the left which has been called the "Devil's V...... which is part of the anatomy that only 50% of the population have...  ;)

JWK

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:37 AM »
The beauty of both of the pictures of PVGC's 10 is the readily apparent issue of dumping a putt into the D.A.

Note the evolution of the D.V. to the left.  The older picture shows how fierce a trap it could be.  Not enough room to draw the club back or follow through.  Kind of like life I suppose...Once you're in it, it will cost you a lot to get out of it.

JWK

RJ_Daley

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2006, 12:05:46 PM »
Adam, here are pics that show the deceptive nature of the depth of that B right side of 17.  From the tee, the depth is not as aparent as looking from the leading lip down into it.  You can see there is still plenty of depth behind and below Brad on this one.

Of course the following shows the depth of the B on 4.  (this is not my photo)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2006, 12:11:18 PM »
Oooops.  I just changed from Mystic photos (they deleted my folder of stored pics) to photobucket.  Does anyone know how to reduce the size of the picture when posting from the (img) feature below the picture on photobucket?  In Mozilla Foxfire, you can reduce the size of the picture by right clicking the picture and using the zoom feature in the diologue box and selecting less than 100%.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2006, 12:26:49 PM »
Question for the construction coolies...

How do you guys beat the heat when working in the good aweful summer heat waves?  Looking at Mike's photo below, I imagine that if you get down in a clayey pit like that, you might as well be in the 7th ring of hell when it is 100+ degrees.  Nuz, do you guys just shut down when it is like that?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:29:35 PM by RJ_Daley »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2006, 12:42:29 PM »
Can't say if they are finest individual bunkers in American golf but they are solid candidates --

*The fairway bunker on the left side of #8 at Wild Horse. Truly inspired stuff from Axland & Proctor.

*The frontal bunker at #17 at Bethpage Black -- terrifying stuff for the first time visitor.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »
Dick, Thanx for posting thse impressive pictures.

While I won't dimish the size, scale, and influence,
 of the pit on #4.
 I would argue that hitting the smallish green at 17,
from the depths of the right side blowout,
has a pukerability factor which exeeds that on #4. Mostly due to the ample room right of four green.

Michael Robin

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2006, 01:34:38 PM »
Mr Clayman -

How could I forget your flirtation with immortality as you lipped out an ace at Riviera's 4th. Most of the rest of us still have to deal with that beast. :)

Gene Greco

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2006, 02:48:29 PM »
Can't say if they are finest individual bunkers in American golf but they are solid candidates --
*The frontal bunker at #17 at Bethpage Black -- terrifying stuff for the first time visitor.

Do you remember that bunker on 17 pre-Rees???

It surely WAS one of the largest bunkers in American golf without a rake in sight!

Just needed an ocean.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2006, 04:49:30 PM »
How about all the bunkers at Merion I was in most of them and I can tell you first hand they are very Fierce. The front left bunker on #10 Camargo and left bunker on the short hole #11.

Lawrence
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:50:01 PM by Lawrence Largent »

kevin

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2006, 05:01:29 PM »
Take a look at Harrison Hills (USA) on this site Ran shows us probably one of the largest bukers I have ever been in, as a matter of fact I was in it this past weekend.  The funny thing is on the other side of the green there is another bunker just as big.

Chris Burgard

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »
The Gailes has a couple of nasty ones.

The "Wurtsmith" bunker to the left and rear of the tabletop green on the short 9th hole has softened recently, but it still requires a fine shot to escape and hold the green.

The "Wall Bunker" protects a double green serving the 11th and 14th holes. This bunker is probably 12 feet deep and often results in having to play out sideways.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back