News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kane

Re:Chris' excellent adventure
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 10:18:27 AM »
Much has happened on the golf front in the last week.  

On Thursday I had a spare day in Glasgow, so I called the Secretary at Prestwick and arranged to walk the course - what an incredible course it is.  It didn't seem as antiquated as some suggest, but I was informed that Retief Goosen shot 63 last Monday!  The club seems to have a fantastic golfing culture, evidenced by the number of members who play golf with their dogs!

I walked Dornoch three times and played on Sunday night - as expected it was outstanding, but I'm hardly reinventing the wheel in this view.

Brora is the most natural course I've ever seen, and also the toughest, judging by the conditions experienced yesterday.  The first round of the Clynelish Open was cancelled due to heavy rain which flooded the course on Tuesday, and so the single qualifying round was played yesterday - with wind so strong I struggled to stand up when addressing the ball.  Simply impossible to enjoy it out there while trying to protect my score (which I failed dismally at) - my 3wood into the par-3 6th didn't stay low enough, and ended up in the burn next to 13!  I hit a punch 6-iron to the green.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 08:23:03 PM »
Chris,

I also played Brora in August.  It was 23 degrees and hardly a cloud in the sky  36 holes of pure bliss ;D

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 02:42:48 AM »
Chris,

Here's the picture from the "walking" tour of the 16th tee at Royal Dornoch last Friday.  Nice form. You're certainly expressive of your feelings for the shot.  But, it was Tony's driver, so I understand.

Sorry you got the short end of the weather stick at Brora.  It was calm and foggy last Thursday when I was there.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 03:23:41 AM »
Chris

Please tell me you don't come from the Jordan Wall school of attire.....tuck the shirt in !!

;D

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 04:52:22 AM »
Good stuff Chris

I've played that 3-wood/6-iron strategy at Brora's 6th (the toughest ~180 yard hole in golf when the wind is howling).  Hope you get better weather next time. :)

Hope to see you next week.

Cheers

Rich

Mark_F

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2006, 05:59:33 AM »
How many trophy-hunting Commonwealth members have you run into so far Chris?

Chris Kane

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2006, 06:27:22 AM »
Please tell me you don't come from the Jordan Wall school of attire.....tuck the shirt in !!

;D

Kevin as demonstrated by the shoes, I wasn't even playing that day - so I think the untucked shirt can be excused just this once!

Brian, it was good to meet you, and to hit that fantastically assembled 7-iron into the last green!  More than can be said for your driver, Tony's driver, and Bill's horrible 7-iron!

No trophy hunting Commonwealth members yet Mark, but I've only visited one trophy-track so far.  Once I get to St Andrews (Sunday afternoon), I'm sure I'll find plenty.  Furthermore, TOC will probably have tree problems by the time I leave!

ed_getka

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2006, 10:35:36 PM »
Chris,
   You may not be reinventing the wheel by liking Dornoch, but what were the attributes of the course that you particularly noticed?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Chris Kane

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 10:02:27 AM »
Ed, it was the unaltered nature of the course (besides the green complexes of course) that I noticed - take out the bunkers and the fairway lines and from a distance you wouldn't know its a golf course.  It shows that one-grass is the way to go, it looks so much better than different grasses on the greens, fairways and in the rough.

Its so playable for average golfers, yet good players need to tack their way around to post a score.

The green complexes are first-class (probably the best I've seen).

I've timed my arrival in St Andrews for tomorrow afternoon - as any student of the game would - so I'll get to walk TOC when no golf is being played.  Can't wait.

ed_getka

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 04:09:05 PM »
Chris,
    Perfect timing for TOC, to be able to walk it on Sunday. I tried to do that for my trip, but I couldn't get the itinerary to work. Then I was so excited about golfing TOC twice in one day that I forgot to go check out the Himalayas putting green.
Have a great time, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on TOC. Take a good look at #2 and #12 greens and the ground leading in tomorrow.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 05:57:13 PM »
Bill,
   Where is that?

Sean Walsh

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 06:33:00 PM »
Brora?

Looks a lot greener than when I was there though so I'm not certain.  Can't even pick the hole.  Maybe from the back of the 16th green.

Actually I am certain its Brora I just picked out an electric fence..

Chris Kane

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »
That looks like the 1st at Brora, but I could be wrong.

Tomorrow will be spent fighting off yet another atrocious hangover (they like to drink in Scotland!) - hopefully I can walk in a straight line by the time I reach the Auld Grey Toon!

Sean Walsh

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 11:46:49 PM »
Chris,

Have you switched to Guinness yet? I find it much better hangover wise than the ales.  Stay away from the Whisky when with the locals.  

Mark_F

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2006, 03:45:22 AM »
Why are you spending money on drink when there is golf to be played?

You'll be wasting it on women next.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2006, 04:36:19 AM »
Chris,

Are you only drinking heavily to drown out the taste of the woeful food?

Chris Kane

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2006, 06:02:52 AM »
On which of your many visits to the UK do you base that assessment Shane?

Chris Kane

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 07:14:34 AM »
I've finally arrived in St Andrews.

Once I'd dropped my bags off, I wandered down to the Old Course - quite an amazing experience to see it in person, as anyone who has been there will testify.  Its much smaller in person than I expected - Darren Kilfara's description of it being like meeting a movie star is right on the money.

I can't say I was blown away by the course, but that would be almost impossible given the nature of it.  I now understand why the learning curve there is so steep.  Furthermore, to really understand the course and appreciate its greatness, I expect you really need to know exactly where you're going - something which requires an intimate knowledge of every hump and hollow, bunker and gorse bush.

I expect I'll gain that understanding as time goes by.  Don't get me wrong - I think its fantastic, I want to think its fantastic, but David Fay's comment is right on the money, for mine.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2006, 07:30:46 AM »
I can't say I was blown away by the course, but that would be almost impossible given the nature of it.  I now understand why the learning curve there is so steep.  Furthermore, to really understand the course and appreciate its greatness, I expect you really need to know exactly where you're going - something which requires an intimate knowledge of every hump and hollow, bunker and gorse bush.

I expect I'll gain that understanding as time goes by.  Don't get me wrong - I think its fantastic, I want to think its fantastic, but David Fay's comment is right on the money, for mine.

You're wise beyond your years, Chris. :) Give me a call once you settle in, OK?

Cheers,
Darren

Chris Kane

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 06:48:28 AM »
Tony Muldoon has requested a "two weeks in St Andrews" update - obviously there's a lot to be said so I'll keep it short.

Have been working for two weeks at Rufflets, and living in the staff house there.  Its a very busy time of year here, so I've spent most of my time in the bar serving American golfers, all wide-eyed at being in St Andrews.

I'm moving into a flat opposite the South Street gates tonight - couldn't find a better location for what I want to do.  400m down the hilll to TOC, 150m to the centre of town - stumbling distance.

Can I say what a wonderful advertisement the town of St Andrews is for the game of golf - its a vibrant place with something always going on.  Outstanding culture of alcohol abuse too!  

Mark_F

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2006, 05:43:30 AM »
Outstanding culture of alcohol abuse too!  

Are you sure the word outstanding belongs in the same sentence as alcohol abuse?

How many trophy-hunting Commonwealth members have you run into now?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back