News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_Messix

Re:Anything new around Orlando?
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 03:10:24 PM »
Scott--

The course he is talking about is the Marriott Grande Pines that was formerly known as the International Golf Club.  This course has been talked about at length on here before.  Synopisis..... Smyers did a great job with the greens and their surrounds, but was stuck with the original inferior routing.  It is the one course that you need to play far enough back because there are a lot of tight holes that dog leg rather early.  Even with all of this, it's still one of the better selections in Orlando.

Mike_Golden

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 01:30:09 PM »
I played Southern Dunes this morning and, in spite of it being carts only (like virtually every other course in Orlando), really, really liked it.  I can't tell you there are any spectacular, unforgettable holes but the design is very solid, plenty of options to either fly it in or run it on the green, and Smyers did a really good job of making the greens look like natural settings (I don't know if they are or aren't).

One neat hole is on the front (#5)-split fairway with the longer shot having a much easier approach.  Of course, I totally ignored the option (I didn't see it) and hit 3 wood out to the right and had a tight wedge shot to the pin over one of two ponds on the course.  Having completely ignored the strategy I somehow made up for it and stuck it 6' away with the approach-of course I missed the birdie ???

I've now played both courses at Orange County National (I live 6 minutes from the pro shop) and even though they are both good courses they are not as good as Southern Dunes.  All 3 of them, however, are much better than Timacuan, which is north of Orlando.

John_Conley

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 08:35:55 PM »
Mike, 500 posts and you live in Orlando?  We've never met.  SD is one of my favorites in all the area.  I'd like to play it on the back box with firm ground to see how it plays.  It is always so soft out there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back