News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Green construction question
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:04:33 AM »
I've noticed at Harding Park that the edges of many of the greens feature a noticeable rise - 1/2" or 1" - up to the level of the fringe. If you put your foot on it you can feel a little ridge. It makes it a bit harder to putt from the fringe because your ball is quite likely to be airborne as it jumps off the ridge and drops down onto the green. It's almost like there's a little curb on the edge of parts of many greens.

David Tepper and I came up with two theories:

1) Something in the underlayers of the greens settled over time, lowering the level of the green edges below the soil level of surrounding area.

2) The ground was graded correctly, but the greens were seeded and the fringes were sodded, which added 1/2" to 1" to the soil base of the fringes but not the greens, creating the uneven transitions.

Does anyone know which is correct, or if something else is going on here? I can't recall seeing this condition at any other course I've played.

Tom Jefferson

Re:Green construction question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:08:48 AM »
Of those two, the second is the most likely.

Tom
the pres

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 06:50:27 AM »
Did Harding Park recently recapture green space lost over the years around the edges of the greens?

If so, that condition mentioned may be the same slight roll or ridge we have after we recaptured lost green space recently. It was a vegetative build-up from the grass clippings that were constantly thrown off into the collars when our greens were smaller.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 10:38:20 AM »
The lip is a result of excess topdressing. When the brush is draged across the green it hits the taller frindge grass and sand is deposited on the collars.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »
Donnie and Tom,

Remember that Harding Park's greens are new from only about 3 years ago!!! Although it's interesting to know there are a few ways those ridges can develop.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back