News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey Childs

Eastward Ho - WOW!!!!!!
« on: June 26, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
I had the great fortune to recently play Eastward Ho with Noel Freeman and our very generous host and the superintendent.  As a well know champion of the greatness of the Course at Yale I was astounded at the topography of Eastward Ho which I must say frankly exceeds Yale for golfing ground where you can watch the ball tumble over the ground using the laws of gravity.  More of this visibility of the ball bouncing over the terrain is seen at Eastward Ho then is seen at Yale or Fishers Island. There is a great esthetic or positive feedback from seeing your golf ball move this way.  Its hard to explain but there is joy of golf from a game at Eastward Ho like few other places.

While few courses in the US can utilize coastline views as well as Cypress Point or Fishers Island, the front nine at EH has striking views of the Cape Cod National seashore and other water vistas.  The shot values of the two par 3’s (#’s 4 and 7) is very hard to beat.  With the ever present wind, both trajectory and distance must be controlled very precisely or the wickedly sloped putting surfaces and falloffs around the greens will result in high scores.  

There is variety from the uphill approach to #1 to the very short par 4 2nd and third and the world class #6 (see Ran’s profile).   The back nine is routed inland and yet the wild terrain remains throughout the entire round.

The width is there to allow you to play in the winds that blow and the course is conditioned as well as any course I have frankly ever played.  The greens have great contours for putting as well as to watch approach shots move more then you would have imagined.

Why is this course not recognized as among the Top 100 courses in the world?  Is Eastward Ho the best kept secret in golf?

SPDB

Re:Eastward Ho - WOW!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 09:45:49 PM »
Geoffrey -
The work done by Foster and the tree clearing that has taken place throughout the course is terrific. Take a look at Ran's profile and you won't recognize some of the holes you played.

The most dramatic is the 8th hole bunker work and more dramatically are 14 & 15

If I hadn't played it before, and somebody told me this was the 14th - I wouldn't believe them.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 09:52:22 PM »
I played it last week and loved it as well
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 10:03:24 PM »
Geoffrey -
The work done by Foster and the tree clearing that has taken place throughout the course is terrific. Take a look at Ran's profile and you won't recognize some of the holes you played.

The most dramatic is the 8th hole bunker work and more dramatically are 14 & 15

If I hadn't played it before, and somebody told me this was the 14th - I wouldn't believe them.

Sean

The superintendent pointed all the work Foster did as well as his own maintenance updates.  Its astounding.  Skyline approaches (like Creek #5  ;) ) were restored on the par 3 4th as well. The bunkers (done by MacDonald and Co under Foster's direction for those who care) are really nicely done as well. I frankly could not find a single thing to complain about even if I wanted to.  The place is simply a joy to visit.  It fits the test of whether you want to go from 18 green right back to the first tee -  ABSOLUTELY.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:24:23 PM »

Same here.  While this view is obscured by low-lying clouds,
the trees are now gone.  Also note the green expansion/recapture:

Sorry, the date is off by one day.  Oh, and I agree with
Geoffrey.  Wow!  Eastward Ho! is hellacious fun, and I didn't
get the same views, weather, and firm conditions you had a
few days earlier.  Left me smiling all day.

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:30:07 PM »
Scott -
Let's have a full(er) report! How was your 24 hrs in the Boston/Cape area? What'd you end up doing Sun?

How about the drive on the 6th hole?

Also, I might be mistaken but I'm not sure there is greenspace recapture as it was the left short bunker moving closer to the green.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 09:50:03 AM »
I hads the opportunity to play there a few years ago with a very generous and nice member. I loved it as much as Geoffrey. However, the grass created the same problems to playablity that Riviera has. Have they changed the turf?

Noel Freeman

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 10:03:17 AM »
I have some amazing pictures of E. Ho taken on an idyllic day that I will share on this forum once the Emperor can put them up.  I would first say the super of E. Ho, Frank Hancock deserves a tremendous amount of kudos for having the best conditioned golf course that I've played in 2006.  Given the enormous contours and slopes of the terra firma, E. Ho had just the right amount of borrow, roll and chase to allow one to utilise the land but not go over the top.  I think Frank smiled when he saw the amount of texas wedge plays I was able to execute.

I would say the stretch of E. Ho from #4-8 is as fun as the game can be outside of an NGLA or UK format.  The par 3s (4 and 7) require supreme shot execution with the wind and landscape providing enormous challenge to find the putting surface.  And once you are on especially in the case of #7 the amount of internal contouring makes two putting quite an adventure.  

#6 and its tremendous slope funnelling left to right and down into a kettle bowl is intimidating to the eye but E. Ho and the way it is maintained gives you plenty of room to execute the shot.  Once it disappears down the horizon the rush to get down to see where it finishes is a kid-like pleasure.

#8 with its cross bunkering looks very similar to the Fowler heathland holes I've seen such as the Berkshire and #9 with its spine/hogback fairway and need to skirt the tree line (or cliff line) with your approach to get the optimal angle is a high shot value.  I was unaware that the green had been moved a long time ago due to clubhouse expansion.  If you go to E. Ho, the putting green behind the 9th green is the original.

The back 9 was quite an experience as well as the 10th demands a well struck long iron to the West which is a direction and wind one has not faced yet.  We had a large hawk on the tee that day raiding the nest of some smaller birds and he stood sentinel over our shots adding a unique element.  

A few other highlights, the elephant hole (#14) where the glacial moraine carved a large karst like hole on the left side is a tremendous drive where one can utilise the heaving right to left terrain to leave a flip wedge, unfortunately I bailed out to the 16th fairway wide right..

The par 5 17th will be enhanced next year when Frank and his crew get to restore a gaping cross bunker which will make the layup second shot a challenge if one does not go for the green.  There is a terrific picture in the clubhouse of it.

Glacial moraine, heaving almost downland like terrain, old UK type strategy, terrific conditions to match the land and wonderful greens.  I love the Ho.

The Ho is the best course in the world that no one talks about.. maybe it should stay that way... :)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:09:21 AM by NAF »

Noel Freeman

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 10:04:13 AM »
I hads the opportunity to play there a few years ago with a very generous and nice member. I loved it as much as Geoffrey. However, the grass created the same problems to playablity that Riviera has. Have they changed the turf?

they've got a gr8 new super!  no turf issues to my eye.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 10:07:33 AM »
Tthanks Noel, now I really want to go back.

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »
Tiger -
I'd be curious what you mean by "turf issues,"
particularly as it compares to Riviera, whose
struggles with Kikuyu are legion.

Randy Van Sickle

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 07:07:56 PM »
Tiger may have been referring to the amount of thatch that had built up over the years, particularly around the greens.  Thatch has been removed around all the greens on the front 9 by digging out and re-sodding all of the problem areas around the greens.  The back 9 will be completed in the "off-season" of 2006-07.  The fairways have also been frequently aerated in the last 2 years to remove built-up thatch.  Maintenance practices have significantly changed since the restoration of 2004.
Can't get back to RDGC soon enough

kevin

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 05:05:21 PM »
Any word on those Eastward HO! pics that Mr. Childs was talking about a few weeks ago

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 05:10:42 PM »
Randy got it on point. I played there prior to the 2004 work. What a grand course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back