News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Has GeoffShackelford.com outstripped....
« on: June 23, 2006, 11:38:41 AM »
.....GOLFCLUBATLAS.com as the go to site for golf's literati and the architecturally curious?

I can't tell you how many of golf's heavyweights I've heard of who claim they have to get their dose of Geoffshackelford.com every morining before they get their second dose of coffee.

I mean some significant heavyweights of golf.   ;)

Tom Huckaby

Re:Has GeoffShackelford.com outstripped....
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 11:44:09 AM »
TEP:  was this site EVER the go-to site for golf's literati and the architecturally curious?

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 11:45:57 AM »
Tom Paul -

Of course I am not a heavyweight and of course I read geoffshackelford.com when I awake and before bed.

As a golf addict with a liberal arts degree and a small propensity for mischief, snarkiness, intolerance and disdain, the site is a treasure.

The links are outstanding. The analysis is biased and sometimes cruel.

I look upon the site at the work of a top-notch satirist.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:05:50 PM »
Significant heavyweights of golf: such as yourself apparently, Tom  :D
jeffmingay.com

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »
Thanks a lot, something else that I am going to be addicted to. Really funny stuff on there. The above-mentioned satire is a good description.

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 12:18:07 PM »
The great thing is that it's not a one or the other choice we are presented - I read both and satisfy many of my questions through one or the other.

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »
Geoff has an excellent clipping service, but it's not satire by any means.  Satire requires a broad perspective and the realisation that it is about yourself as well as others.

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:13:19 PM »
Geoff has become something like the Instapundit of golf. With all of his biases intact. That's a good thing.

I hope he keeps it up. I don't know where he finds the time everyday. But more power to him.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:20:23 PM by BCrosby »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 01:14:50 PM »
Something else for me to do ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »

I mean some significant heavyweights of golf.   ;)

Tom,

Pat Mucci ????

I like Geoff's site more and more as he moves to a more balanced bashing of the USGA and Tom Fazio. ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 02:11:31 PM »
"Significant heavyweights of golf: such as yourself apparently, Tom"

Jeff:

If you only knew. Among other things it would never be easy to get some of them to admit it publicly but you know what they say----such as it is.  

I guess when it comes to GeoffShac these days many now know he can no longer be avoided and so many don't try to any longer.   ;)  

The next best step would be for those who realize he can't be avoided to try to have a dialogue with him.  ;)

As for me, I just call him up and talk to him as I have for about ten years now. Although GeoffShac isn't all that much more than half my age I'd have to say he was the guy who got me into this stuff in the first place. He's my original mentor.  ;)

We agree on a lot but certainly not everything. One of my primary arguments to him is that it would never be a good idea for the future of golf to see even the semi-eradication of the present regulating institutions of golf to make golf better in the future. I guess I'm old enough to have come to realize that even the best institutions bumble along to some extent. The key is that even if and when they bumble along they are basically headed in the right general direction.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:25:02 PM by TEPaul »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 02:17:06 PM »
Geoff does not require accurate identification from those posting on his site. Therefore, it cannot be considered as highly as this site.

E.g., TEPaul could go there and post all kinds of hair-brained things as Patrick Mucci, and Patrick could do the same.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 02:37:07 PM »
"Geoff does not require accurate identification from those posting on his site. Therefore, it cannot be considered as highly as this site."

Garland:

That is one of the unfortunate beliefs of some on this site. In my opinion, one also needs to be able to react to and respond to "ideas" without necessarily knowing whose they are. ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 03:11:48 PM »
Tom,

Actually, anyone can choose to do the same on this site. It just so happens that 99.9% of the time they don't. Perhaps you haven't noticed that Redanman has been posting as James Bond. If he had removed the graphic of the martini glass that shows up with his regular posts, it would have been very difficult to determine who he was. I have to wonder if he put the martini glass there with the purpose of eventually posting as James Bond. Or, perhaps he did it the first time he posted as James Bond (which I did not see) and then left it there when he resumed as Redanman.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 05:42:10 PM »
I guess I'm old enough to have come to realize that even the best institutions bumble along to some extent. The key is that even if and when they bumble along they are basically headed in the right general direction.  ;)

Just about as fine a definition of conservatism as I've seen. However in the the great big world of life, sometimes the conservatives are right and sometimes...
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 05:49:25 PM »
Tom,

Actually, anyone can choose to do the same on this site. It just so happens that 99.9% of the time they don't. Perhaps you haven't noticed that Redanman has been posting as James Bond. If he had removed the graphic of the martini glass that shows up with his regular posts, it would have been very difficult to determine who he was. I have to wonder if he put the martini glass there with the purpose of eventually posting as James Bond. Or, perhaps he did it the first time he posted as James Bond (which I did not see) and then left it there when he resumed as Redanman.

Garland,

One sure way to tell if a guy is a Golfweek rater is that they don't post under their full name.  It's a clubby kind of thing.  

note:  Some raters do post under their full names and you gotta give those guys credit for when they give honest opinions...I should have posted this under an assumed name before I get in trouble.

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »
There are a lot of dumb things one can post about on this website but perhaps the dumbest yet is whether redanman (Bill Vostinak) is Bond....James Bond or not. There is very little doubt that for a number of years now BillV has been searching for both an identity and a country. Any man who is not a Frenchman who seriously thinks France is the place he shouild live has some very serious problems---so serious, in fact, that I'd be willing to pay for his first half dozen sessions with Dr Katz.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:01:47 PM by TEPaul »

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »
Geoff has an excellent clipping service, but it's not satire by any means.  Satire requires a broad perspective and the realisation that it is about yourself as well as others.

Can't say I'm familiar with this definition of satire, but even so, Geoff fits the bill, imho.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 06:04:56 PM »
Mike Sweeney:

Would you mind defining what a 'more balanced bashing of the USGA and Tom Fazio' is exactly?  ;)

GeorgeP:

I don't think a reasonable mind could possible claim that anyone is familiar with any definition of anythng that Rich Goodale uses.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:09:15 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »
"France did advance in the World Cup today.  To the round of 16.  That's something like match play TEP.  :)

Apparently you haven't noticed BillyVee, BillV, redanman AKA WHATEVER, Bond....James Bond but France hasn't really advanced in anything in the last 200 years or so. Whomever they advanced against today in the World Cup should call for an investigation. And if they did advance I hope to hell they lose in the next round to the f.... Ivory Coast or Angola.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:43:14 PM by TEPaul »

ForkaB

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 07:04:56 PM »

Can't say I'm familiar with this definition of satire, but even so, Geoff fits the bill, imho.

George

Satire comes from the Latin "satura" which means "full plate."  As Swift said, "Satire is a (mirror) in which one sees every reflection but his own."  Geoff provides a very good and interesting service, but satire it ain't. :)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 09:03:19 PM »
Tom - I read Geoff every day.  The brilliant pipe piper of modern golf course architecture, Geoff is our ship's self-appointed bowsprit - loud and vocal - attempting to realign a badly wayward craft.

Geoff's website has current news and links that are cutting edge and helpful to the articles I write.  

For this site, I consider the folks of GCA.com a family of passionate opinions - personally interesting - but less important to the mainstream of golf news.  

Geoff has his finger on a daily basis on the pulse of the current issues. He's our 'NPR' of golf.

JC

Michael Moore

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »
Rich -

Your definition of satire is overcomplicated and completely wrong.

Satire does not require a broad view, it requires an opposing view. Furthermore, it does not involve poking fun at yourself -to the contrary, it is a humorous assault with change in mind.

GeoffShackelford.com exists largely to expose and ridicule things that he considers to be contrary to the spirit of golf such as the distance one can propel the modern ball, the business school jargon perpetrated by tour commissioners, restoration projects on certain classic courses, rangefinders, etc.

It's all done with sarcasm and deadpan, the tools of satire. I don't know where you are coming from on this one. Stop confusing the stockbrokers.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Gary Daughters

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 09:36:31 PM »

Geoff --

If you're out there, are you now or have you ever been a satirist?

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Steve Lang

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 09:53:18 PM »
 8)

He is simply a professional student.. no more , no less

sa artist ne'
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back