News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Cape Arundel Golf Club - photos
« on: November 03, 2002, 10:32:05 AM »
In the style of, and with many thanks to Ran  -

Cape Arundel Golf Club
Kennebunkport, Maine
Walter Travis, 1921

Cape Arundel Golf Club is known to many as the home course of President Bush and his father. To the student of architecture, it is also known as a largely untouched example of the work of Walter Travis. I plead ignorance to the architectural history of the course, and dare not describe anything but the joys of playing it.

Much has been written on this site about the "random" bunkering at St. Andrews. There is a strong element of this at Cape Arundel. There are bunkers of every shape, size, depth, and angle, at a bewildering variety of distances from the green. The greens are equally diabolical - almost all of them have a false front followed by maddening interior contours. In the summer months the whole course is extremely fast and firm, adding a great deal of further difficulty.

Finally, the course is charming. It measures 5881 yards, and plays to a par of 69. It is squeezed onto a small piece of land, not an inch of which is wasted. Indeed, there is a bunker two yards from the twelfth tee.

Holes of note

1 - 375 yards
In order to see the green on your approach, a carry of 225 yards into the prevailing wind is required off the tee. The false front and interior contours of the green give you an idea of what is to come.

Play ball!

3 - 157 yards
The Kennebunk River guards this green left and long, and there are two bunkers to the right. A steep hill repels the short tee ball. Cape Arundel presents a wonderful variety of par three holes, playing to disparate points on the compass and generally requiring of me eight iron, sand wedge, six iron and four iron.

Many of the greens are sprayed with shot repellent.        

5 - 359 yards
Easily the greatest driveable par four I have ever played, and no, I cannot drive the ball 360 yards or even 300 yards. To demonstrate the huge difference that tee placement and line of flight can have in determining total yardage, I have devised an interactive yardage calculator. Below is an aerial photograph of the all-world fifth hole. The red dot indicates the back of the tee box, and the yellow dot indicates the middle of the green. If you roll the cursor over position A in the middle of the fairway, you will find that you are roughly 260 yards from the tee and 100 yards from the middle of the green. Now drag the red dot halfway down the tee box and drag the yellow dot to the front of the green. Suddenly, you are 280 yards from the front of the green for a savings of 80 yards.              
Add a stiff tailwind, and most experts are reaching for the driver. All that remains is to hit it over the fairway bunkers, the ditch, and finally, the apple tree. A normal tee shot leaves the approach shown below. This shot is downwind, usually off a downhill lie, and extremely likely to bound over the green. You might even find yourself interrupting play on the eleventh green.

The difficult approach to number five.    

8 - 370 yards
Behind these magnificent bunkers, which appear to be greenside but are in fact twenty yards away, lurks the wildest green on the course.

The bunkering at Cape Arundel is powerful - strategically and aesthetically.
The countours pour off this already narrow green every which way. This back pin is barely accessible with a twenty-foot putt - good luck with a nine iron.

Four putting is commonplace with this pin.

10 - 345 yards
Very similar to the fifth - the tees are usually up, the wind is at your back, cutting the corner is an option for the long hitter, and the risk is absurd -

You have to negotiate this mess in order to drive the tenth green.          

Perhaps you would rather take your chances from the fairway. The back of this ingenious green complex drops off six feet, the left side is only slightly less severe, and you have already seen the right side. With approaches like this the notion of total yardage quickly become irrelevant. Finding the miniscule back shelf is as unlikely from 20 yards as it is from 120 yards.

With approaches like this the notion of total yardage quickly become irrelevant.        

14 - 386 yards
The left hand side of the fairway gives a preferable angle to the green, but a tee ball that is slightly pulled or hooked stands a chance of ending up in the river.

The Kennebunk River is in play on several holes.  

A view of the troublesome right hand side of the fourteenth green.      

17 - 365 yards
Perhaps Cape Arundel's most notorious hole, the seventeenth is uneventful for the first 280 yards, at which point this fellow appears -

This bunker is eighty yards from the green.      
Just over the hill from that monstrosity lies the green, which has at least four feet of pitch from
front to back.

Unhittable, unputtable, unthinkable.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:11 PM by -1 »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

brad_miller

Re: Cape Arundel Golf Club - photos
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 11:32:05 AM »
Michael, thanks for the photos, had the chance to play CA this past July, what a fun place. The greens and the internal contour are all world, lots of fun shots. Still don't get how this course plays to a CR of 67 for the par 69, 5900 yards and these greens! Lots of bunkers that look like they are at the green complex but are 20-40 yards short, a great feature that we don't see enough of today. For people in the Metro NYC area the nearest comparison might be Rockaway Hunt Club although RHC most challenging holes are tougher than most of what is here at Cape Arundel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

ian

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2002, 02:18:42 PM »
Micheal, I have travelled to many different Travis courses all over the country to see his work. Travis has designed some of the most spectatcular greens I have seen. I have been told on multiple occasions that Arundel may be the best of all.

For others in the north-east, go to Country Club of Scranton to see similar greens. Thanks for the photos Micheal, now I want to go even more.

Ian

brad_miller

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2002, 02:35:10 PM »
CC of Scranton sounds great, there is also Round Hill in Greenwich CT which has wonderful Travis greens except #11 and 16 which where altered at some point by RTJ Jr. IMO the greens where better at Cape Arundel, but the ground contour and features at Round Hill are fantastic and better than those found on the Maine property.

If CC of Scranton is better than Round Hill than it should be included in the Golfweek Top 100 Classic list for sure, in any case sounds like a course Ran should consider profiling.

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2002, 03:29:13 PM »
Michael

Great write up and pictures.  This world could use a lot more 5900 yard courses like that!

Almost as impressive is that little gizmo you inserted into the aerial of the 5th.  How did you do that!  Give that technology to Scott Burroughs and the AOTD will never be the same!

Cheers

Rich

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2002, 03:40:18 PM »
Rich -

That photo was of course cribbed from AOTD. Thank you Scott!

I wrote the application using Flash. I was stunned and amazed to discover that you can just drop movies into these posts. Development is at the point where each movie can read a scale value from a database, so that scale can be plugged in from a web page by an administrator.

- Michael
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:11 PM by -1 »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2002, 07:07:39 PM »
Michael;

Awesome job!  Thanks for sharing such a scintillating and inviting course profile!

All;

The CC of Scranton is indeed a wonderful course, although I've never played it unfortunately.  I've only had the pleasure of walking it several times growing up in the area, and I'm hoping to play it sometime next year.  It has wonderful variety, and the greens seem wild and thought-provoking, to say the least.  

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2002, 04:31:34 AM »
Michael
Great report, the course looks wonderful. Knowing how photos tend to flatten, those greens must be really wild.

MainelyJack

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2002, 02:16:57 PM »
Michael - Great job. It's been years since I have played Cape Arundel, but your pictures brought back good memories. Nice to have someone else from Maine on the board.

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2002, 02:34:51 PM »
Great stuff, Michael. I love Travis and have made a point of trying to see as much of his work as possible. Have not made it to CAGC, but will correct that next year.

Agree with what Brad has to say about Round Hill, the ground features, with its knobs, dips and swells in the fairway make for exciting play. On this side of the atlantic you would be hard pressed to find a course that has as many blind shots or awkward lies as Round Hill does.

Brad - coincidentally, 11th was the work of RTJ, senior. I don't know if the 16th was ever touched. 17, however, was, I believe, the work of Ken Dye on his recent trip through there, and it is, I am embarrassed to say given how i generally feel about his work, a dramatic improvement. It may be one of the finer holes on the course now, and is certainly, in my mind, the strongest of the par 3s.

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2002, 04:58:42 PM »
Michael,

Very well done sir! A real treat to see some great greens like they have at Cape Arundel. Hopefully Ran will move your work to My Home Course so it won't get lost in the archives. You might drop Ran an email asking him to do same...

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Cape Arundel Golf Club - photos
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 08:36:48 AM »
On the way to my son's camp, I finally got to play a full 18 holes at Cape Arundel (5881 yards par 69) this past weekend with Mr Moore, and it is easily my favorite "sub-6000 yard" course jumping over worthy competitor Merion West.

Adding to the allure of the day and the place, we Ran into George 41 and his grandson teeing off at Cape Arundel as we finished.

To contrast the day, we played a second 18 holes at nearby Porstmounth (NH) CC, which is a very scenic and RTJ very standard good but not great 7072 yards par 72 course.

It should also be noted that while I was beating the persimmon playing long panted Mr Moore in his home state, USGA regulations were observed on the Walter Travis links. However when we crossed state lines into RTJ country and Mr Moore continued to be beaten by the author, a rangefinder was in use in New Hampshire by our friend from Maine. :o
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 08:38:36 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Cape Arundel Golf Club - photos
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 09:02:37 AM »
Nice to see the Prez and co. walking (motorized trolleys perhaps for 2 or 3 of them?  or regular ones?)

Were there any secret service around?  Or were they playing with him?  Or were they hidden in the woods down the holes a la the movie "Welcome to Mooseport"?   :)

Wouldn't be prudent to wear longsleeves and shorts, sir.....

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 05:34:49 AM »
Sold!  Thank you Mr Moore.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »

Forgot this, and thanks for the original post and today's bringing it back up.  Drove by this course almost by accident on vacation to Maine several years ago, having heard of it, but not putting it together I was near it.

Pro was very nice and let me tour, but it was raining, so I took no photos.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »

Forgot this, and thanks for the original post and today's bringing it back up.  Drove by this course almost by accident on vacation to Maine several years ago, having heard of it, but not putting it together I was near it.

Pro was very nice and let me tour, but it was raining, so I took no photos.

I have photos from all 18 when my wife and I walked a splendid 18 holes in on a beautiful, July afternoon. What a great place. I'll dig up the pics this evening when I return home. Here are two that I posted to the Worldgolf.com website...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:08:51 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 10:31:36 PM »
Great pics of a really cool course. Played it a handful of years ago in a down pour. Water was ponding on the greens but I really wanted to see Cape Arundel and the pro was kind enough to let us play.

Met President Bush the first on the course, then "W" after our round on the porch where we talked fly fishing and life in general for a half an hour, and then Jeb a bit later.

All in all, one of my most memorable days on a fun old course that I could ever imagine.

Greg

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back