News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Kim

U.S. Open at Winged Foot: Monday and Tuesday photos
« on: June 13, 2006, 11:52:55 PM »
My first ever U.S. Open in person was very memorable. Here are some of my thoughts:

When I saw the 18th green for the first time with my own eyes, all I thought was "wow". I've never seen a green with so much undulations and severe rolls like that. I thought "roller coaster".

The rough doesn't look like it's very high, but it is thick. They were cutting it on Tuesday, but the rough should get longer through the course of the week. If the rough is wet from rain, it will be impossible. I saw Camilo Villegas on Monday, perhaps arguably one of the strongest players on tour, barely able to advance the ball 30 yards with a sand wedge on the right of the par-5 12th hole. The new graduated rough is interesting to say the least. Wayward drives will be punished perhaps 65-70 percent of the time. 100 percent if wet.

What an amazing course, and driving accuracy will be at the utmost premium. The greens were soft and the balls were not rolling far on the fairways, but if they do get any faster, it will be scary. There was not one spot of brown grass in any of the fairways (except of course in the designated fairway crossings for spectators). Kudos to the WF staff.

I think 16, 17, and 18 are brutal. What a disturbingly strong and scary finish. I think the winning score will be in the 3-under to even-par range. if conditions become dry and windy, 2-over could win it.

Holes 5,6,7 must be taken advantage of. easy holes, but 7 can be tricky.

Here are some photos I'll share right now with my limited internet connection. I think I took pictures of every inch and every possible angle of this golf course. If you would like me to post more pictures of the course or of some of the players, just let me know.

Tremendous, tremendous clubhouse.

The 1st hole reverse angle. Very difficult green.

Tiger off the 1st tee. Ripped it down the middle, 315 yards.

The par-3 3rd hole. lots of players struggled on this hole during the practice rounds. Perhaps the hardest of the four par-3's at WF?

When's the last time you've seen Tiger use a wood to a par-3? This is to the 3rd hole.

The par-5 5th hole, 515 yards. Players MUST, I repeat, MUST birdie this hole and score well on No. 6 too. The two easiest holes on the golf course. I was very disapointed with hole no. 6. doesn't seem like it belongs at Winged foot and rather at a muni. Nonetheless, interesting to see if players will take a rip at it. I was told no one reached the green with driver, although some reached the greenside bunker.

The 8th hole from the tee. A very difficult tee shot that requires a cut and fighting a slightly uphill crescendo to the green.

The 8th hole reverse angle.

The longest par-4 in u.s. open history, 514 yards. Still, players were using 5 to 6 irons to this hole. Chad Campbell eagled this hole from the fairway on Monday.

Photo of the week? I had to wait pretty long and get through the crowds rather harshly to get into position for this shot. Tiger at the 10th.

My favorite hole, the par-4 14th. interesting driving hole. players didn't have a problem carrying the left fairway bunker.

One of the best looking approach shots at Winged Foot at the 14th hole.

Since Winged Foot was built on "unremarkable land", many (if not all) of the greens are severely pushed up. Here is a perspective behind the 14th green if you miss long. It is a tough recovery.

The 16th is a brutal hole at 478 yards. Must hit it in the fairway to have any chance at the green. This hole will severely test a player's sunday nerves.

The 18th tee box. Very awkward tee shot with trees looming on the left. It requires a slight draw, but Tiger tried to hit it over the left trees with a straight line to the fairway.

I tried my best to capture the severity of the humps on the 18th green. It's pretty ridiculous. Anything short will roll back into the fairway.

18th green reverse angle. Anything that lands on the back of the green will roll back to the middle. This green is semi-biarritz in some respects with a subtle depression in the middle of the green. Hard to do the 18th green justice with this picture, but I tried my best. You have to see it with your own eyes to believe it.

Let me know what you think. Also, please keep in mind I am an amateur photographer, I am not a pro. I was using two cameras. The Canon D70 6.0 megapixels digital SLR with a relatively mediocre zoom lens and also a Canon G3 4.0 megapixel digital camera.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:40:29 AM by Michael Kim »

Bill_McBride

Re:U.S. Open at Winged Foot: Monday and Tuesday photos
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:00:08 AM »
Great photos, Michael, you have a very good eye and a very good camera.  I've never been to Winged Foot, so #18's green is eye opening to say the least.  How long was #3 playing for TW to hit fairway metal?

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 12:04:41 AM »
Michael;

What a tremendous set of photographs!!
Thanks for your very good effort....from them I can get a sense of the land, the trees, the contours, the beauty, the challenge.

Tom
the pres

Justin_Zook

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:06:35 AM »
Michael,

Great photographs.  I mean, really really great.  If you're there tomorrow (now today) keep them coming.  Any suggestions for great spots to view the play?  Anything to watch out for?  How does Tiger look?  Phil?  
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:21:06 AM »
Michael,

Great photographs.  I mean, really really great.  If you're there tomorrow (now today) keep them coming.  Any suggestions for great spots to view the play?  Anything to watch out for?  How does Tiger look?  Phil?  

The course looks in absolutely phenomenal shape. I've never seen a US Open course this lush-very nice color on this set of pics, Michael. What kind of camera were you using...?

The USGA should be very happy, and will be even happier if they don't get any rain for the rest of the week. The tree removal program has made a huge difference to several holes since my last visit to WFW in 1998. With all the sunlight the greens are getting, they will have them right where they want for the weekend... Sunday will be a HUGE sports day. First Australia v Brazil and then the leaders tee off at 3pm.
Next!

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 12:22:12 AM »
Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

Michael Kim

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 12:30:42 AM »
Justin,

Unfortunately, I will be flying back to Notre Dame on Wednesday. I was surprised how large the crowds were for the practice rounds and it's going to be a circus this weekend. I try to avoid the mob when I can, especially the hooligans who keep making comments like they've mastered the game of golf and had one too many beers.

Best spots to view the course. The way they have the ropes set up are very tricky and you can find yourself getting stuck in a lot of weird places due to the marshals (who 95 percent of the time don't know what they're doing). Best place to watch is behind the 10th tee, and also the are between 14 green, 13 tee, 16 green, and 12 green. you can just stay there and watch literally five holes at once if you wanted to.

Tiger looked very sharp. Drove the ball great, and his approach shots were usually very crisp. We'll see about his putting. He was practicing a lot of chop out shots from the rough.

Sorry, didn't follow Phil.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:31:27 AM by Michael Kim »

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 12:38:11 AM »
awesome pics Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 12:46:10 AM »
It's threads like these that cause me to rely more on this site for golf course information than any other source.  

Thank you!

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 12:50:49 AM »
#6 more appropriate at a MUNI???!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 12:55:41 AM »
Mike,

Is there a visual difference between the second cut and primary cut of rough? Can you tell there are different layers? I couldn't really see it in the pictures.

Michael Kim

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 01:21:57 AM »
Matt,

It was difficult to get a perspective photo on the "graduated" rough. Like I said earlier, the rough is not really high, but it is really, really thick. It's got that really sticky rye overseed feel to it. I think the WF staff will use the special rakes to get the grass heads to point up sometime on Wednesday. They cut it on Tuesday, but it should continue to grow during the weekend.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 01:25:11 AM »
I was at the Tusday practice round, there are definitely two lengths of rough.  The primary cut is about 5 yards wide and ridiculous. On the long par 5 12th I saw Ernie Els try to hit an 8 iron and maybe advance it 75 yards. If you hit it in the long rough, its a wedge and a bogie.

Awesome pictures!

Take away the scenic views and this course blows away Pebble Beach. The green complexes are just fantastic!

Michael Kim

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 01:36:29 AM »
MORE PHOTOS by request:

Jim Furyk in front of the 18th green. It shows how steep the false front is.

Close up of the front of the 18th green.

A view of the back of the green. notice the dramatic shift of the green from front to back.

par-4 2nd hole, 458 yards.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 01:44:35 AM »
WOW!! Spectacular pics. Thanks!

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 01:49:25 AM »
Thanks for the photos Michael.

It is on courses like this and through photos that I actually appreciate any cross-hatching or striping of turf.  Being able to see the movement in the land from a photo because of the undulations in the striping is THE benefit of such a practice.

On a flat piece of fairway/green etc, I could care less.

At Plainfield and from these pictures Winged Foot West I am deeply appreciative of anything that increases my appreciation of the grandeur via a photo.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Neveux

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 02:01:31 AM »
Awesome Photos.  I cannot wait to watch every minute of coverage on Thursday!!!!  What an awesome looking golf course.  It appears every shot will be a test, including putts.  

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 04:52:41 AM »
To echo what everyone else is saying, great pix.  They really give me a sense for the course.  

Steve Lapper

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 06:36:20 AM »
Michael,

Great pictures indeed! I was there yesterday and saw it for myself. Having grown up near by and having been on the course well over 100+ times (caddied there in the 60's & 70's), it has never looked better.

All that said, you are way, way off base on your assessment of #6. Yes, #5 is a birdie hole and #7 can be had, but even a tiny mistake at 6 can blow up into enormous proportions. Few guys will try the driver (and those that don't get into the greenside bunkers or onto the green, will see bogey or worse). A wayward layup (too short, too wide, or even on the wrong side of the fairway) leaves an awkward angle to any pin in the back of it's "L" shaped green. 6 is a hole that just doesn't give up as many birdies as it appearingly should.

BTW....I went inside the ropes at 6 and examined the rough. It's 6-8 inches deep just inches off the green and greenside bunker. Surely, some birdies will be had, however should the pins be anything less than benign (back right, front left) plenty of bogeys will be registered!

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jim Johnson

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 07:00:18 AM »
Michael,

Absolutely awesome photos, thanks for sharing them with us.

It's photos like this that really add to the enjoyment of gca, in my mind. I can never get enough of good photography on golf courses.

Thanks again.

JJ

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 07:09:02 AM »
Michael

Thanks for the great pics.

Likewise, Tuesday was my first visit to the US Open. I would describe Winged Foot as the ultimate parkland course. I just hope it doesn't rain.The fairways had some roll in them and the greens were probably 11 or 12. Those greens certainly have character. The first green was described as perhaps the most difficult of them all. What a way to start a round! A great mix of holes. I followed VJ's group for a while. His drives were in the 325y vicinity. He had severe difficulty from the high rough to left of the fairway on 15. The best he could do after hitting 3 shots was about 50y!

To answer the question about TW using a fairway metal(5W) on the par 3 3rd hole, he was probably playing from the back of the tee at 243y. The hole will also play at 216y from the front of the tips.

All in all, what an experience. To see the famous 10th hole was a thrill for me. My trusty 7wood would come in handy there. The pros were probably playing 7irons.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Willie_Dow

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 07:15:13 AM »
These great pics show what a great growing year we have enjoined this spring and early June throughout the Mid Atlantic and New York areas.
Sorry to say it hasn't been kinder for the Northeast.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 08:47:19 AM »
Mike,

I notice you got Tiger at the top of his backswing...

Did Stevie try to take your camera?  ;D

Great photos. Thank you!

JDoyle

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 08:52:54 AM »
After hearing all the talk about the tree removal project at WFW I was hoping to see a dramatic change from the time I last played the course in '03.  Perhaps a change on the scale of what happened at Oakmont.  But looking at the photos above I do not see any difference.  The 18th tee shot is a great example of where they need to begin opening up the sight-lines and the playing options.

For those who have recently walked the course - is the tree removal more apparent when on site?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 10:02:58 AM »
Anyone know the heights of cut for the tees, greens and fairways?

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back