News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Re: How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »

Rock Creek wouldn't garner a 10?

Jim:

Even giving one "10" ranking to one of my own courses is bound to attract criticism.  I've done a few other courses of which I'm very proud, and where I wouldn't change a thing.  But I can't rate them all above Augusta and Pebble and the other great courses to which I gave only a 9.

I am happy that you think Rock Creek is that good, and I'm certainly not arguing with you.  I love that place.

I have not played Augusta but have played Pebble and like Rock Creek more than Pebble.

My points only totaled 1090.

PS Only 6 overseas courses and they were in Scotland. I need to get back overseas.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:20:21 PM by Jim Franklin »
Mr Hurricane

Stephen Davis

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »

Rock Creek wouldn't garner a 10?

Jim:

Even giving one "10" ranking to one of my own courses is bound to attract criticism.  I've done a few other courses of which I'm very proud, and where I wouldn't change a thing.  But I can't rate them all above Augusta and Pebble and the other great courses to which I gave only a 9.

I am happy that you think Rock Creek is that good, and I'm certainly not arguing with you.  I love that place.

I have not played Augusta but have played Pebble and like Rock Creek more than Pebble.

My points only totaled 1090.

PS Only 6 overseas courses and they were in Scotland. I need to get back overseas.

Only?!?! :D

Tom_Doak

Re:How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2012, 01:41:45 PM »
I started adding up my own points yesterday, only to realize that I had already done so when this thread first appeared:

One of my aforementioned friends e-mailed today to say he'd gone through the book and totalled his career at 2,355 Doak points.

So I just went through it and came up with 2,677 for myself.  There are still a lot of courses I didn't play, so there must be between 3,500 and 4,000 total points in the book.  So there's a target for everyone to shoot for.

However, I suspect the more courses you've seen (especially the best ones), the less important it becomes to play a course in order to visualize what's going on.

Thank God I am still the leader in the clubhouse.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
Hey....I've got a crapload of Doak Points, enough to have lost count above 1000.

My question to all of you is what can I get for them?

Can I get a new toaster oven? A seat or tee time upgrade? A free push cart or walker upgrade? Maybe time on a knuckle-buket simulator in Upper Michigan?

Big whoop! ::)

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
Maybe I should get a T-shirt made up for anyone who gets to 1,000 points.  I'll talk to George Pazin about it.

What should the shirt say?

Jud_T

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »
"I got to 1000 Doak points and all I got was this crappy T-shirt"
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Pitner

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
Maybe I should get a T-shirt made up for anyone who gets to 1,000 points.  I'll talk to George Pazin about it.

What should the shirt say?

"Confidential Belt-Notcher".

Jud_T

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
"You Buy, I'll Fly" -  the rater's version

"Access Whore"

"1000 Doak points and I still can't break 80."

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael George

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »

"The Confidential Club" with picture of the book as the emblem. 

Simple, tasteful and would not require many of us to explain to our wives what "access whore" means  ;)
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jim Franklin

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »

"The Confidential Club" with picture of the book as the emblem. 

Simple, tasteful and would not require many of us to explain to our wives what "access whore" means  ;)

I like The Confidential Club.

I can break 80 too.
Mr Hurricane

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
That's easy - "The High Pointe Club"
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Terry Lavin

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
"The Confidential Guy" is the tag for the leader...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Nichols

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
Does everyone who added up his points own the book. . . . ? 

Stephen Davis

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
What does low gross get? I just realized that all of the courses that might qualify me for Doak points are newer than 1996, so I am pretty sure my grand total is 0, nilch, nada. :) Looking on the bright side, I can only go up from here.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »

Receipt in my Confidential Guide indicates I purchased it in 2000 for $31.50.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jim_lewis

« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:26 PM »
My copy is 1996 version. Paid $40.50.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Sean_A

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2012, 03:43:41 AM »
Carl

I own a book.  I bought a '96 edition for £8 in the famous book town of Hay on Wye (tourists interested in used books should make a point to stop in) around 1999.  There were other copies which I grabbed (I think 3) for gifts (at the time I never heard of Doak), but my wife talked me out of it saying the book is not a great gift for a golfer and too expensive to ship.  A few years ago I traded Tom the '96 edition for two signed '94 editions, one of which was auctioned on this site as a donation to Ran.  I don't know who Tom gave the book to.  Tom - do tell!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

PThomas

« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »
over 1000 for me
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
 My best golfing buddies got me my copy for my 60th birthday....

I have 1381 total points thus far............  1183 U.S. and 198 from
  trips to Scotland, Ireland, and Australia.  Can't wait to pick up lots more!

I'd love to see an updated version... I'd have a bunch of added points.
           And......... I would love a t-shirt.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »
107 courses for a total of 569 points. . . lots of work to be done (my '96 copy was autographed by the author at the inaugural Midwest Mashie).

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
A whopping total of ... (drum roll, please) ... 93 points!

That's in 22 courses, ranging from an 8 (Kapalua) to a 0 (ASU Karsten). I do have a 9 on the schedule for this summer.

Ultimately, this reflects two things: I certainly have not played very many very good courses, true enough. But also, the best courses I have played are virtually all modern and in the southwest.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:09 AM »
A whopping total of ... (drum roll, please) ... 93 points!

That's in 22 courses, ranging from an 8 (Kapalua) to a 0 (ASU Karsten). I do have a 9 on the schedule for this summer.

Ultimately, this reflects two things: I certainly have not played very many very good courses, true enough. But also, the best courses I have played are virtually all modern and in the southwest.

This is exactly the conclusion I came to as well.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »
Does The Old Course in reverse count as an additional 10 points?

jeffwarne

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:44 PM »
Does The Old Course in reverse count as an additional 10 points?

nope, gotta take off 10
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »
Can someone please type up the ratings and/or upload a spreadsheet? And my apologies to Tom and his publisher in advance if that implies plagiarism in any sort -- just trying to join the discussion!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back