News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
I'm with Terry on this one.

Jimmy F has played an awful lot of golf, on a massive amount of courses.  His depth of courses played is likely matched by very few others...so I put a lot of stock in his opinions/takes.

Sean Leary

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »

Jimmy F has played an awful lot of golf, on a massive amount of courses.  His depth of courses played is likely matched by very few others...so I put a lot of stock in his opinions/takes.

GCAer Scott Wood has played every single course that has EVER been on the Golf Digest and Golf Magazine US lists back to their list's inception.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »

I would give him more credit if he didn't hate Lakota Canyon...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »

Rock Creek wouldn't garner a 10?

Jim:

Even giving one "10" ranking to one of my own courses is bound to attract criticism.  I've done a few other courses of which I'm very proud, and where I wouldn't change a thing.  But I can't rate them all above Augusta and Pebble and the other great courses to which I gave only a 9.

I am happy that you think Rock Creek is that good, and I'm certainly not arguing with you.  I love that place.

Jud_T

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »

GCAer Scott Wood has played every single course that has EVER been on the Golf Digest and Golf Magazine US lists back to their list's inception.

Too bad he chose the worst two lists to notch his belt by... 8)   I'm also not sure if this is something to be proud of or conceal from friends...There's not much point in wasting time here or pouring over the Confidential Guide if you're simply going to play every course.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Stephen Davis

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

Rock Creek wouldn't garner a 10?

Jim:

Even giving one "10" ranking to one of my own courses is bound to attract criticism.  I've done a few other courses of which I'm very proud, and where I wouldn't change a thing.  But I can't rate them all above Augusta and Pebble and the other great courses to which I gave only a 9.

I am happy that you think Rock Creek is that good, and I'm certainly not arguing with you.  I love that place.

Tom,

I know you were answering Jim's question, but you also answered mine at the same time. It was a very appropriate answer and very well said.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »

Too bad he chose the worst two lists to notch his belt by... 8)   I'm also not sure if this is something to be proud of or conceal from friends...There's not much point in wasting time here or pouring over the Confidential Guide if you're simply going to play every course.

Another thinly veiled Kingsley commentary?

yeah, yeah, yeah, I owe you $300  ;)

Andy Troeger

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »

Why the heck would anyone hang around an Internet forum if their other option was actually to PLAY the courses we talk about?  ;)

Bill_McBride

Re:How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
53 courses for 302 points.  Average 5.7.  Only 10s - TOC and Cypress Point.  It was fun going through the book, lots of old memories.  ;D

I imagine courses like the Valley Club (7) and Meadow Club (5) would go up in ratings after recent renovation work.  Conversely, any chance the Pine Barrens course at World Woods is still an 8?

Also, has the Coore Crenshaw course at Barton Creek ever been rated with a Doak rating?   I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than the Fazio courses there.

Not to stir up any anti-Fazio discussions!  ::)

So I went back and went through the book again.

The book hasn't changed since 2006 but the courses I've played has.  I'm now at 88 (25 more Confidential Guide courses in six years) for a total of 502 points, 5.7 average.

Added four 10's -- Crystal Downs, NGLA, Muirfield and Royal Dornoch.  

I give Ran full credit for this!

I would love to see an update.  There have been some fine courses built since then: the Bandon foursome, Friars Head, Chambers Bay, Wolf Point, Kingsley Club, Ballyneal, the Dormie Club, etc etc
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:29:18 AM by Bill_McBride »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
What ever happened to the "peter p" who was a guest in June 2006? THAT peter p had a total of 751 points, with 301 from  North America and 450 Rest of World.  THIS peter p has a total of 10 points (but my average is also a 10). Since I don't want anyone else to say it first, I'll say it myself -- this site has really gone downhill since the glory days!!

Peter  

Bill Brightly

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
My total is 523 with a 7.26 average, helped by five 10's. (Would be better if I could include courses I only walked: Bethpage, Oakmont and Augusta.)  This exercise just hammered home that I need to get to Scotland!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »
I don't know about Doak points, but I've tallied a cumulative Plumart score of 11,860.97, so far.  With an average rating of 85.33072.

High Score of 100.25 for The Old Course in Scotland. 
Low Score of 23 for The Hooch in Suwanee, GA.

I love Tom, but the only scale I care about is The Plumart Scale.

8) :-* 8)

Tell me about this Plumart Scale...

The Plumart Scale is a highly specialzied golf course ranking system that determines with 100% accuracy a golf courses rating and ranking per the taste and preference of Mac Plumart.  Which, in fact, is the only golf course ranking list that I truly care about.  I suggest everyone make a similiar list, per their own taste.

Also, of note, The Plumart Scale panelists actively seek courses on which there is a lack of consistency among the Big 3 golf course rating entities.  For instance, Kingsley, which is only ranked by Golfweek, has caught the attention of 100% of the Plumart scale panelists.   As well as Oitavos Dunes, only ranked by Golf Magazine, and Essex, only ranked by Golfweek.

Previous visits to these "controversial" courses includes:  Rock Creek, Pete Dye Golf Club of West Virigina, and Sage Valley (rated at the time by Golfweek, Golfweek, and Golf Digest respectively).  
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »
302 with Stonewall coming up this weekend, hoping it does not get rained out.

Go Flyers!!!!
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 04:55:43 PM »
It really is fun adding up the numbers!! Can't be too many places this can be said without getting some very strange looks!!

So 353 from 61 courses. Plenty of more to see!!!

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bill McKinley

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I don't know about Doak points, but I've tallied a cumulative Plumart score of 11,860.97, so far.  With an average rating of 85.33072.

The Plumart Scale is a highly specialzied golf course ranking system that determines with 100% accuracy a golf courses rating and ranking per the taste and preference of Mac Plumart.  Which, in fact, is the only golf course ranking list that I truly care about.  I suggest everyone make a similiar list, per their own taste.

Also, of note, The Plumart Scale panelists actively seek courses on which there is a lack of consistency among the Big 3 golf course rating entities.  For instance, Kingsley, which is only ranked by Golfweek, has caught the attention of 100% of the Plumart scale panelists.   As well as Oitavos Dunes, only ranked by Golf Magazine, and Essex, only ranked by Golfweek.

Previous visits to these "controversial" courses includes:  Rock Creek, Pete Dye Golf Club of West Virigina, and Sage Valley (rated at the time by Golfweek, Golfweek, and Golf Digest respectively).  

Sounds peachy!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Keith Phillips

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
That was fun - 408 pts, 65 courses, 6.28 avg - 10s at NGLA, Shinny and TOC - the lowest the '2' at Don Valley, my old muni in Toronto!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
I don't know about Doak points, but I've tallied a cumulative Plumart score of 11,860.97, so far.  With an average rating of 85.33072.

Sounds peachy!

I do live in Georgia!  :)

Do you have a Mckinley Scale?

EDIT...it should be noted Canterbury scores very well on the Plumart Scale. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
the lowest the '2' at Don Valley, my old muni in Toronto!

+1.  Hurts the average!

jim_lewis

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:42:13 PM by jim_lewis »
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Bill Brightly

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
the lowest the '2' at Don Valley, my old muni in Toronto!

+1.  Hurts the average!

So does going to Australia and NZ, playing Barnbougle Dunes, Lost Farms and Cape Kidnappers, and getting no points! I would guess 9,7,8, respectively.

jeffwarne

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »

972 Doak points

650 US, 322 overseas

182 Doak rated courses
122 US
60 overseas

1994 version -Tom needs to get out more ;) ;) ;D

Glaring weakness for me in Michigan, Arizona, middle of country
Overseas weaknesses in England (other than southwest) but BUDA should help
Australia

so many course so little time
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Elvins

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
On a semi related note, congratualtions to the GCA poster who is currently playing 9 Bridges in South Korea.  At the end of his round he will have played every course on the current Golf Magazine Top 100 list.  A fine effort, I think.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »
Mac,

A McKinley scale is only in my head right now, but it is definitely worth some thought to try to nail it down.  Glad you like my beloved 'Bury.  We are doing some marvelous things right now and it should be a tremendous year for us. 
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »
On a semi related note, congratualtions to the GCA poster who is currently playing 9 Bridges in South Korea.  At the end of his round he will have played every course on the current Golf Magazine Top 100 list.  A fine effort, I think.

Well earned congrats to Bill. 

Bart

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 04:06:19 AM »
What a fun little exercise

Was doing it last night while my wife wanted to make serious plans about my sons birthday, nothing happened there!

1078  doak points    154 courses

USA / canada                            503              68 courses
Australia                                   157              26 courses
UK / Europe                              376             53 courses
Japan                                       42               7 courses

1994 edition

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back