News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

My best round ever
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:10:30 AM »
Just had to tell you guys on here, because my wife didn't seem too impressed yesterday when I got home.

Shot the best score of my life yesterday.  A 76 at Sahm Golf Course in Indy.  I know it isn't a Shinnecock or Pine Valley, but I still had to hit the shots.

Woohoo!

So what are some of the best scores and rounds you guys have had?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:10:43 AM by Chris_Clouser »

PThomas

Re:My best round ever
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:44:29 AM »
I had my best round ever earlier this year...a 76 as well, with a double on the last hole cause i was choking my guts out! - at my course, Ravisloe
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:44:32 AM »
I've only had a handful of rounds in the 70's in my life (a perrenial 13-18 handicapper it seems), mostly on little muni tracks and what not.

So...I'd have to say that my most memorable "best round ever" had to be on the Portland course at Royal Troon...one of those "magical" days one has on the links.

I know I've told the story here a bunch, but after shooting a 39 on the frontside on the old course at Royal Troon in the morning (including my first ever Scottish birdie on the Postage Stamp), my buddy and I went out on the Portland course after lunch for a match play extravaganza...no one else was really even out on the course.

Highlights of the round included starting out with 3 or 4 straight pars, hitting an approach shot OB right on one hole in particular that hit the actual rail line and bounced BACK into play pin-high in the greenside rough where I nearly chipped in for birdie.  A few holes later I did chip in for my third career (and last to date!) eagle on a par-5.  Closed out my buddy 7 & 6...then proceeded to hole out a shot on the 18th from a greenside bunker (where I truly called the shot before I hit it) for a final birdie on one of the most "in the zone" rounds of golf I've ever played.

When we went and sat on a bench near that final hole, I tallied up the score (which I never really looked at during the round) and had carded a smooth 79.

What a feeling...

Wish I could have bottled it...  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:45:15 AM »
Great going Chris!!

I will always remember the first time I broke 80 (at my home course).  I needed a par on 18 to shoot 79 (450-yd par 4), was 40 yds short of the green in 2, hoping beyond hope i could get it close, and my shot hit the flag on one bounce about halfway up and fell straight down into the hole for a 78!  It was also a memorable day b/c my HS golf teammate made a hole-in-one about an hour ahead of me on the course the same day.

As for best score, I've had 70 on a par 72 6 or 7 times, 69 on a par 71 twice, and 69 on a par 70 4 or 5 times.  I've had a 68 on a par 69.  My best score is my two 67s at President's GC in Mass., but the course is only 5670, par 70, so this is why I have all the categories above.

My best round is probably the 69 (-1) at Essex County Club I had duing the Mass. Amateur last year, considering the tournament and that it's one of my favorite courses.

I'm still looking for that elusive 67 or 68 on a true, above 6000 yds, challenging layout.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 10:52:55 AM »
All I'm gonna say is

YOU DA MAN, CHRIS!

And that I understand PERFECTLY how little interest your wife must have had.  Mine tuned out my golf stories many years ago.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 11:05:44 AM »
Chris,

Congratulations. Hopefully the scores will continue in the southern direction. Personally, my best round is 67 (-5), which is nearly eight years ago, back when I played a lot of competitive golf.

Tyler

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 11:26:18 AM »
Well done Chris.  Its a good feeling eh.

I have gone low many times as a flat belly, but that was 40 pounds ago.  As a tax payer I have three rounds I particularly enjoyed.  A 72 the first time I saw Machrihanish.  A 69 the first time I saw Tenby without making a putt over 8 feet.  Though the most satisfying score was a 70 round Pennard last year.  For some reason I usually struggled around there.  This time everything made sense.  I have played the course very well since then.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Nixon

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »
Congrats Chris. I've always thought Sahm was a bit tougher than its rating would indicate - a 76 there is pretty dang good. My best there is an 81, which also happens to be my best round anywhere.  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 11:50:54 AM by John Nixon »

Ron Farris

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 11:35:14 AM »
Chris, great round.  Dont take it to heart that your wife was not impressed.  It might be me, but wives are just like that (for the most part - especially if you have children).

As for best round 27, 35 for a total of 62 on a par 71 course at 6500 yards at elevation 3200.  I had my first hole in one and also another eagle and 4 consecutive birdies on the out side at what was my home course in Rapid City, SD (Arrowhead CC).  The round  included a bogey on the in course and the setting of a new course record for amateurs.  I was playing the club's assistant pro in the club match-play league.  I shot 67 the next day and was blown out by a gentleman who shot 76 in the net division.

Everyday one gets to play golf is a good day and it is hard to determine what is the best round for people.  When I was 12 year old I shot 72 on a course in the Sand Hills of Nebraska.  It was a 72 for 9 holes.  It may very well be the best round of my life.  I still remember that round and the pleasure that it brought  me.  So forget the paragraph above and consider my best round to be my 72 at the Ainsworth Municipal Golf Course.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
Great job Chris!!

My best rounds have come in the past month, where I shot -1 and -2.

Matt Rossman

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 11:48:37 AM »
My best round ever was (-4) on par 72 and par 71 layouts. But my favorite round ever was when I actually had the chance to shoot a course record. There is a 9 hole par 35 course down from my house that plays from the tips at 3,340 yards. The course had only been open for about 2 years at the time. I went out and shot a 35 on the first nine, and then followed that up with a 32 on the second nine. I was curious what the course record was since the course was relatively new, so I went and asked. The guy told me it was a 65, shot by the University of Tennessee golf coach. I told the pro waht I shot and asked if it was legit to go play another nine to back up my 32, and if it was be a record if I was to somehow shoot another 32. He agreed and said good luck. Bursting with adreneline I stepped on the first tee to hopefully break the record. I get up on the first tee, a short par 4 and proceed to snap hook it in the road. Goodbye ball, goodbye record. I just walked back in the pro shop, told the pro what happened, and shared a good laugh. Although I didn't get the record, it is still the only time I have ever had the opportunity to chase a course record. What fun!!

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 11:56:43 AM »
All within a 6-week period in the summer of 2003, after a year of unemployment and a year of under-employment:

66 (-5) at Juniper Hill Lakeside (Northborough, MA):  par 71  6300 yards, 70.9/130.  In a tournament, with a double-bogey on #4.

69 (-3) at Stow Acres North (Stow, MA):  Par 72, 6700 yards, 73.7/130.  In a four-ball tournament; team net score was 69.

70 (-2) at Wollaston (Milton, MA):  Par 72, 6750 yards, 74.1/133.  No warmup:  38-32.

Now with two kids and a bad back (a golf injury compounded by carrying two kids), I can only break 80 at Bass Rocks (par 69, 6010 yards, 68.9/120).

« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:19:54 PM by Martin Del Vecchio »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 12:21:20 PM »
Three of four years ago - it seems like another lifetime - I played a rare round of "business golf" with a threesome of beer-guzzling produce guys, the best of which sported a swing eerily similar to Charles Barkley.

I chose a 1pm tee time on the Ocean Course at Olympic and judging by their shots on the range, our 7pm dinner reservations looked a long shot.

We were first off the tee during guest times, so I gently admonished them that we needed to stay well ahead of the group in front, promising strong drink in the clubhouse before dinner if we finished in less than four hours.

As a side note, I do not play "business golf" any longer.

Herding the group to the tee, I announced that I was not going to look at any yardage markers that day and just play by feel - suggesting that everyone do the same, "just like Ben Hogan did."

I figured that ought to save at least 30 minutes. There is  nothing more annoying than watching some dork who cannot hit his ass with both hands, wandering aimlessly looking for a yardage marker from 225 yards out.

So, without thinking, I put a peg in the ground and drilled one down the center - roughly the distance of a Shivas 4-iron, which for me is quite a poke.

As promised, I never glanced at a marker (I know the course quite well), but just pulled a stick and whacked it. After a while, I pulled sticks for the other players, too.

Miraculously, we moved at flank speed and left the 2nd group of guests far behind. I called ahead to the halfway house so the beer would be ready to throw in our communal 4-bagger cart as we passed.

We were standing on the 16th tee at the 3-hour point when the designated scorekeeper blurted out that I was six-under par. I'd never given it a thought.

A par on 16 and 17 was followed by a tap-in birdie at the last for 65, without ever looking at a single yardage.

Wow. How did that happen?

So, the  next weekend, armed with the secret to golf, Todd Hagen (for those of you who know our resident wine savant) and  I went out on the Ocean again.

This time a 68, no fuss no muss.

Poplar Creek in San Mateo three days later. . . . . another 68.

"This is too easy," I thought. "It cannot be as simple as playing by feel, I must just be hitting it better."

So, the next time out, I peeked at a few markers. . . . .76.

A week later, I tried it again with no looking, but was so confused - second-guessing myself - I struggled to an 83.

Sadly, I discovered there was no going back. The magic was ephemeral - only because I doubted the gift and started to overthink the game. The inner, intuitive Gib knew how to go low, but a lifetime of self-doubt erased the mind-set.

My golf game has never been the same again. Even after virtually  quitting the game for nearly three years, the residual poison still remains.

That horrible affliction of "Sergio's" has faded away, only to be replaced by the yips with every club in the bag from 50 yards in. I've no doubt that if I had just gone with it, the positive flow   would have eventually ingrained into my psyche. . . . . . but I couldn't resist.

And like Lot's wife, my golf bag has turned to a pillar of salt.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:34:25 PM by Gib Papazian »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »
Officially, 65 (-7) at an AJGA tournament in Las Vegas. That was at about 6,950 (in 1998) and a pretty reasonable course.

Unofficially, a couple of summers later at some course in Pocatello, Idaho, I forget the name of it. Riverside maybe? I played 27 holes that day and shot 34-32-32. Here's the kicker. From #16 to #25 I went:

birdie
birdie
birdie
eagle
par
birdie
birdie
par
birdie
birdie

Yeah. So that put me at -6 through 7 holes of my last nine. I went for a tough pin on #8 trying desperately to shoot 29. I bogied that hole, and #9 too, to finish with 32.

Two weeks later I shot 67-66 to get in the U.S. Am. So that was a good month. That 66 is still my favorite round because of the pressure and because I did two things that always seemed cool to me: no bogies, and no 5's.

archie_struthers

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »

:D 8) :)

Congrats,

Keep swinging,

"archie"

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 02:15:48 PM »
Congrats!

My best round ever will be the next one as I don't believe that I have played my best yet.

This year, it was a +2 with with a triple on the 16th.  Nice one putt pars on 17 and 18.

JWK

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 03:28:08 PM »
I supposed I should add another entry:  a 75 at The Ranch in Southwick, MA.

Not as impressive, but it is the only round in my life where I took more putts (38) than other shots (37).  I had 3 3-putts and a 4-putt.

And no, the greens weren't tricky or exceptionally fast.  I just couldn't putt that day.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 03:30:43 PM by Martin Del Vecchio »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 04:11:15 PM »
shivas - come on man, the end of that story needs to be told... you gagged and he got ya on 18 anyway, right?

;D

BTW, these stories remind me of the greatest round I have ever seen played... I can't remember my greatest round or even some worthy examples to share - pyschologists, please do have a field day - but anyway, the best I've witnessed was one of my buddies known as THE TOE, with whom I've played golf hundreds of times.  At this point in time he had never beaten me once.  He's about a 14 handicap, and I used to be good, so it's understandable.  The scene was St. George GC in the Wally World Invitational, a gathering of high school and college buds.  So everyone I know is there to witness.

By hook or by crook, he gets ahead of me.  I don't really notice until on the 7th tee, I review the card and say, "well I'll be damned, you're one up on me."  He stands +3 at that point.

I proceed to try and turn on the gas, as I've been able to do with him countless times, and count on him to faulter, as he has countless times.

Long story short:  I go +1 the entire rest of the round.

He ties me every single hole, including two birdies.  No loss, no gain, 12 straight ties.

By the time we get to 18, the whole field knows it and damn near everyone is there to watch... I reach a hard par five in two, figure I'm finally gone get one back... he sits 230 out.. and gets it inside mine, on the green.  We both two-putt, I shake his hand in amazement.

Bastard.  I have always hated him.

But dammit that was impressive.  Remember the guy's a 14.

TH
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 04:18:53 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 04:34:30 PM »
Well played, Chris.

I'm guessing I'm the only poster who's lowest score came in a foursome where the other three members were born and raised in Curve, Tennessee (named after a curve in the Illinois Central RR).

A dozen to fifteen years ago we're holding a rare family reunion.   Me, dad and his two brothers - a virtual Hee Haw gang, in a cartball game at Rolling Hills CC, a converted cotton field in Ripley, Tennessee stretched to 6000 yards over nine holes played from two sets of tees.  The three stooges don't break ninety, yet I post a 68 notwithstanding a bogey at the last.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 04:38:20 PM »
I'm guessing I'm the only poster who's lowest score came in a foursome where the other three members were born and raised in Curve, Tennessee (named after a curve in the Illinois Central RR).

I'd have to say that must be a very safe guess.  I was trying to come up with a believable story, but I failed.

I also now have another town I simply must see.  Added to Versailles, KY (just because they pronounce it Ver-sales), I must go to Curve, TN - just so that I can meet the most logical people on earth.

;D ;D

Tim Taylor

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 05:44:20 PM »
Way to go Chris, that is awesome. My career best round of 78 (in a tournament, no less) just rolled of my handicap.

Not coincidentally, my index went from 11.0 to 11.6 :o

TimT

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 05:45:16 PM »
Way to go Chris, that is awesome. My career best round of 78 (in a tournament, no less) just rolled of my handicap.

Not coincidentally, my index went from 11.0 to 11.6 :o

TimT

Tim - did you get the dreaded adjustment for that 78 in the tournament?

Ask Mr. Huntley about that some time....

But way to go, anyway.

TH

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
A par on 16 and 17 was followed by a tap-in birdie at the last for 65, without ever looking at a single yardage.

This time a 68, no fuss no muss.

Poplar Creek in San Mateo three days later. . . . . another 68.

So, the next time out, I peeked at a few markers. . . . .76.

A week later, I tried it again with no looking, but was so confused - second-guessing myself - I struggled to an 83.

Gib:

And not one of these scores was posted.  I suspect you could be called to the disclipine committee any time.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 06:32:50 PM »
My best round ever might not be my best score ever.

I shot 69 a few years ago at my cousins bachelor party tournament which is my best score.

I shot 73 at NGLA 3 years ago and made 5 birdies in a decent money game which ment something.

And 2 other rounds that stick out, I shot 79 at both Pacific Dunes and Sand Hills in 50mph winds which may be the best rounds I can think of.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 07:35:30 PM »
A bunch of 68 and 69's including 2 holes in one
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back