News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re:My best round ever
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 08:18:11 PM »
Now we can officially end this thread.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

James Bennett

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 08:32:22 PM »
Pine Valley in late April in pouring rain.  I didn't keep score (that is Code for not wanting to keep score).

However, I am a 7 handicapper that had broken 80 on the Monterey penisula a fortnight earlier.  In all honesty, I think I failed to break 100 on this Pine Valley day.  And that would be the first time that has happened (failing to break 100) since 1971 ie 35 years ago!  And I enjoyed most of the moments of that day.

My best score was 69 - three times at three different courses.  The most meorable was the round I played at Grange West in Adleaide on 7 July 1977 (ie 7/7/77) - I broke 70 and had a 69!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 08:37:54 PM »
Chris,
    Nice job going low.

My best round, was actually a team effort when we went really low on a 9 hole scramble at Sand Hills at the end of the day. Shivas really rose to the occasion and was taking the ball deep off the tee and hitting some great shots. I can't remember exactly so hopefully Shivas, Paul Turner, or Mike Hendren will chime in.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 08:39:09 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2006, 10:31:40 PM »
Best # - 64, at MetroWest in Orlando with a couple high school buddies. No bogies.

Best Round - 71 at Arcadia Bluffs from the tips. 40 mph wind according to the weather station in the golf shop, but the staff estimated that it was  blowing 50 mph down by the lake. Note - I'd rather play on a day with a 50 mph wind than a calm day, hence, no worries.

Best performance - 75 the morning after my bachelor party from the tips at Bay Hill. I walked of 18 green and threw up.

ed_getka

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 10:35:30 PM »
Shivas,
   Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking we had gone -8, but then I thought maybe I was beginning to go into fish tale mode and exagerrating, because -8 is pretty darn good.
   Sorry you couldn't make it to KP V, but I'll have a Yarra Yarra hat for you next year.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »
low#65 twice

best round- 67 Camargo 71 NCR-unbelieveable pins 74 Garden City 1st time playing it. 72- The Black

The funny thing is I just had it 7 under through 15  2 Saturdays ago and hacked in with bogey,bogey, double. The hole that got me was a 316-yard par 4 and I drove it under the lip of the greenside bunker and just started HACKING from there.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 11:10:08 PM »
Had a 72 once in a tournament with 2 8's on par 5's. 13? that must have been tough to come back from. WOW!!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2006, 11:18:49 PM »
4 balls OB right at a course with no range...hitting 9 off the tee...I'd have snapped the driver into 13 pieces and stormed off the course at that age ...

I would have also at that age, but 1 shot earlier. 3 is my limit on the first tee. I would have been trying to find a party to go to at that point.Ahhh... junior golf.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2006, 11:30:23 PM »
this guy was the ultimate grinder...that's why he didn't lose to a peer for 2 years until I got him to body slam the Jones bag... ;D

Never been one myself, they are always the toughest to beat. Ahhh, the Jones bag, you had those too, huh? Technology has done away with the junior grinder, hasn't it?

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 11:46:42 PM »
This is fun:

Lowest round --   66 with a hole in one and 5 birdies- at
           Rec Park in Long Beach, par 72
   Best Round-----68 from the tips at Pelican Hill which
       included a 100 foot birdie putt on the 16th, 225 yrd par
       3-  pin was at the very back and I hit a 1 iron to the
       very front of the green.
   Most amazing round-  played one Thursday morning at our
        club with 4 old geezers-  had a hole in 1 and the scores
        were  (no kidding):
                                    97   ............................
................................... 67

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 03:21:29 PM »
Sobes:  the greatest round ever played was by my buddy Scott who shot something around even at Itasca, threw up a few times along the way, made eagle on 16 while literally falling down flat on his face in the middle of the fairway on the way to his drive and still doesn't remember a doggone thing to this day -- then, to top it off, went out for a big-money twilight one club challenge with only a 4 iron and birdied 4 holes in a row.  Now THAT was unbelievable....so join the club...a lot of the best golf in the world is played between dry heaves...I think they slow down a flippy hooker's tempo... ;D

Shiv:

Being a lifelong flippy hooker, I've got to agree with your theory. Or were you talking about the bachelor party?  ;D

I also agree that your buddy Scott may take the Grand Prize! That is awesome.

By the way, what is the most number of holes that you've played totally naked in broad daylight? For me it's only three. Now THAT was a proud moment during my college years. Do you remember Geoff Campion from New Trier? He was my roommate in college, and rounded out that "Four-Ball" while some others laughed hysterically and carried the cooler. I'm glad my wife didn't know me in college ::)

Sobe

Andy Troeger

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2006, 06:52:23 PM »
4 balls OB right at a course with no range...hitting 9 off the tee...I'd have snapped the driver into 13 pieces and stormed off the course at that age ...

I wouldn't call this my best round, but its worth sharing. After bogeying the first hole of a local junior tour event, I was playing a short par five that was a 90 degree dogleg left around a lake. I hit a mediocre slinging hook that was borderline as far as getting around the lake. Being too lazy to walk up and then need to walk back, I decided to play a provisional from behind the corner of the lake in case the first one did go in. Provisional ended up in the middle of the lake...second provisional ended up next to it. At this point I decided I might as well see where the first one was...considering the ball was in between me and the clubhouse anyway...

Found the first one...hit it in the water too, made bogey, and later stood on #17 tee even par and won the tournament by 2 :)

As far as the actual question...I've been 1 under five different times, pretty tough to say any one of them was a better round than the others.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2006, 07:17:04 PM »

I wouldn't call this my best round, but its worth sharing. After bogeying the first hole of a local junior tour event, I was playing a short par five that was a 90 degree dogleg left around a lake. I hit a mediocre slinging hook that was borderline as far as getting around the lake. Being too lazy to walk up and then need to walk back, I decided to play a provisional from behind the corner of the lake in case the first one did go in. Provisional ended up in the middle of the lake...second provisional ended up next to it. At this point I decided I might as well see where the first one was...considering the ball was in between me and the clubhouse anyway...

Found the first one...hit it in the water too, made bogey, and later stood on #17 tee even par and won the tournament by 2 :)

As far as the actual question...I've been 1 under five different times, pretty tough to say any one of them was a better round than the others.

Andy,

Hopefully someone with a rules degree will chime in, but I believe if you hit a 'provisional' because of a ball going in the water, THAT ball is now in play.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2006, 07:26:02 PM »
Glenn,
  Not sure...it was intended to speed up play so as not to have to walk all the way back around the hazard, but its true that I've only heard of hitting a provisional for OB or a lost ball. It makes logical sense I suppose, but that doesn't mean its in the rules :)
   I really hope I don't have to dig up that old trophy and give it back!  :o

Andy Troeger

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2006, 07:31:04 PM »
Glenn,
  I looked in my rule book, and just from reading the definition it would appear that the provisional may only be used for OB or a ball lost outside of a water hazard.  Unless that rule was changed in the last 10 or so years...I guess that's a big oops!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2006, 07:31:28 PM »
Glenn,
  Not sure...it was intended to speed up play so as not to have to walk all the way back around the hazard, but its true that I've only heard of hitting a provisional for OB or a lost ball. It makes logical sense I suppose, but that doesn't mean its in the rules :)
   I really hope I don't have to dig up that old trophy and give it back!  :o

I just knew that I should have asked if you won or not. What are the statutes of limitation on a golf tournament, anyway?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »
I think for most tournaments the results are deemed official once the awards are presented. Professional or USGA events might be different, I have no experience beyond junior golf and some state events. Most likely unless I can track down that trophy I'll just have to know that I goofed and make sure not to re-tell that particular story again! :(
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 07:39:19 PM by Andy Troeger »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2006, 07:51:47 PM »
I think for most tournaments the results are deemed official once the awards are presented. Professional or USGA events might be different, I have no experience beyond junior golf and some state events. Most likely unless I can track down that trophy I'll just have to know that I goofed and make sure not to re-tell that particular story again! :(

Yes, that story has to go. ;D I would be interested to hear what some people have to say about tournaments though. I bet if someone one the US Amateur and was deemed to be a professional in October or something, I don't think they would be playing at Augusta and I wonder if they would give the exemptions to the other finalist.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2006, 10:57:23 PM »
Glenn:

In 1992 Tom Scherrer lost the US Am to Justin Leonard 9 & 8, and the finalists in the Am are invited to The Masters. Scherrer decides to turn pro before the 1993 Masters, thereby relinquishing his invitation (the invitation only applies if they remain an amateur). I asked him about it in a bar one night, and he figured he'd be playing in The Masters regularly before long. He eventually got into the 2001 field, but I think that's it.

(I've got another buddy that turned down an automatic invite to the Masters. He was selected to the Walker Cup team back in '79. Back then, the Walker Cup team was invited to The Masters in even numbered years. But it conflicted with the NCAA Championship. He decided to play in the NCAA, which they won (Ohio State)). Never got back to Augusta.)

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2006, 11:47:22 PM »
Glenn:

In 1992 Tom Scherrer lost the US Am to Justin Leonard 9 & 8, and the finalists in the Am are invited to The Masters. Scherrer decides to turn pro before the 1993 Masters, thereby relinquishing his invitation (the invitation only applies if they remain an amateur). I asked him about it in a bar one night, and he figured he'd be playing in The Masters regularly before long. He eventually got into the 2001 field, but I think that's it.

(I've got another buddy that turned down an automatic invite to the Masters. He was selected to the Walker Cup team back in '79. Back then, the Walker Cup team was invited to The Masters in even numbered years. But it conflicted with the NCAA Championship. He decided to play in the NCAA, which they won (Ohio State)). Never got back to Augusta.)

Good stories. I was not clear enough, I was saying what if in October, they were discovered to have been a professional at the time of their August victory. If they played for money somewhere and it was discovered later.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 02:15:39 AM »
Great job Chris!!

My best rounds have come in the past month, where I shot -1 and -2.

Jordan, you told us last year you shot 2 under, a year and a half after taking up golf.  

Jfaspen

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 07:17:22 AM »
my playing partners from out west probably won't believe it.. but I shot 74 in myrtle beach earlier this year.  bested my previous low round by 2 strokes... didn't really even hit the ball that well, just putted my brains out.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 07:48:25 AM »
After firing a stellar 42 on the front nine yesterday at Blackthorn (So. Bend, IN) that included an 8, I turned it around by matching my 9-hole record of 33 on the back! Ironically the other time I shot 33 was on the front at South Bend CC, and I shot 42 on the back then including an 8...

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 09:52:24 AM »
Shrinkage!!!  :o
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2006, 10:07:27 AM »
I shot a 67 in the Baltimore Country Club club championship a few years ago. The greens were lightning and EVERYTHING was holed out. No 2-3 foot gimmes, everything in the bottom of the cup.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back