News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

thoughts on Inverness in Ohio?
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:13:31 PM »
I might have the chance to play there...would love to hear the thoughts of those who already have
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

DTaylor18

Re:thoughts on Inverness in Ohio?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »
Don't miss it. One of my biggest positive surprises.  The newer holes clearly don't fit, but some really wonderful holes there.  The first and tenth holes share the same tee box yet one is a good short four and the other a good long four.  One of the most fun 18th holes you will play. Toldeo wouldn't be my first vacation destination, but Inverness should not be missed!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:06:36 PM »
Paul:

I concur with Dan -- if you have the opportunity it's a must play visit.

With that said -- keep in mind that Team Fazio (George and Tom) did butcher the place with changes to a number of holes on the front side -- this took place, if memory serves, prior to the '79 US Open. I am also not a fan of the 1st and 10th holes -- rather similar in many ways -- although the 10th is rather special with where the green is situated.

Inverness has some of the better green complexes you can play. They are not overly large -- enough to handle good iron play -- never the careless variety mind you. They are also contoured to put a premium on placement at all times.

I would not say there's anything that leaps to the forefront in terms of one hole or a group of holes. I've played Inverness just three times -- all connected to when majors were played there as a media guy and I was always struck by the totality of what you have to do in order to succeed there.

Give you an example -- Winged Foot / West can bludgeon you to death -- Inverness is a bit less vicious -- but woe to those who believe it is golf-lite. Far from it.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:06:17 PM »
Play it and then play it again if you can. It is a great course with a few out of place holes compliments of Fazio. Oh by the by Art Hills has done some good work here.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:38:16 PM »
Play it and then play it again if you can. It is a great course with a few out of place holes compliments of Fazio. Oh by the by Art Hills has done some good work here.

Paul T,

Definitely play it and make sure you see the clock in the clubhouse and take a look around in there. It is a great experience.

Tiger,

I have been wondering what Hills did here since the first time I played it. Is 5 his work. I would really appreciate if you would lay out what you know. Thank you in advance.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 11:21:27 PM »
Glenn, I was afraid you would ask for details. I played Inverness with Art 6 or 7 years ago. He showed me the changes he made as well as other changes over the years. I honestly have forgotten them except the general opinions of them and the others formed during the round and riding the course afterwards.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:35:19 PM »
Tiger,

Thanks for the effort. Do you happen to know when the changes were made. I take it that they were made between 93 and when you played, so 2000.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 12:31:37 AM »
Spend time in the clubhouse - as you'd imagine, an amazing collection of historical articles and photos.

Echoing others' comments, a mix of a lot of different styles and holes that don't necessarily go together.

Particularly deep fairway bunkers. I noticed that the few shots I hit into fairway bunkers always seemed to end up in the hardest part of the bunker to play from. They never stayed in the back, further from the lip.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 02:02:45 AM »
Wouldn't pass up any chance to play a U.S. Open track.  It has some superb holes, although not one of the greatest courses in the land.  They can get the greens so fast there-  quite a challenge.  Didn't really like the first hole as it's so easy to hit it through the fairway.  

Tom Roewer

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 06:49:58 AM »
Don"t pass up the chance.  Make sure you go to Loma Lindas for some really good mexican , and stop @ Tony Packos to stock up on possibly the best pickles(the thick cut sweet hots are the bomb!)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 06:57:04 PM »
I might have the chance to play there...would love to hear the thoughts of those who already have

Paul,

I think you'll enjoy the golf course, and, I think you'll easily distinguish the old from the new.

Some newer holes stick out like a sore thumb, yet some of the changes on other holes worked well.

The club has a nice book,
"Inverness Club
Its Vibrant Voice Chimes Through a Century (1903-2003)"

I'd recommend getting a copy

If you get a chance, say "hello" to Alan Fadel for me.
He's a nice fellow and an accomplished player.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 07:39:48 PM »
A must play in my book
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 09:33:47 PM »
wow, I am definitely going to try and play!

thanks to all

SPDB

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 11:59:14 PM »
Paul T.
Were you considering passing? Does a course like Inverness need qualification?

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 12:45:55 AM »
SPDB:  probably not, but definitely not now with all these glowing recommendations...another course in the area was competing with it - I only have time for one game...people's thoughts reconfirm my desire to go there

the Fazio renovations bother me.....I know Art has tried to fix....too bad they can't just scrap them and go back to the original design

SPDB

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 12:47:23 AM »
Paul - What was the competing course? How do the Fazio renovations bother you if you haven't been there yet? You might love them.

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 12:48:50 AM »
cause everything I've read about them sucks !  but I shall keep an open mind

the other course is Inidanwood Old in MI, which is , from what I've read, also pretty darn good

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »
cause everything I've read about them sucks !  but I shall keep an open mind

the other course is Inidanwood Old in MI, which is , from what I've read, also pretty darn good

Can someone lay out some of the details of what was done by who and when. I would really appreciate it. I don't know where to look and have always wanted to know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back