News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Duval vs. Crenshaw
« on: June 06, 2006, 11:44:28 PM »
From next month's Golf Digest:

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200607duvalinterview.html

In 1999, during one of these interviews, you criticized the PGA of America about the distribution of Ryder Cup funds. And in turn, you were criticized.

I got roasted. I simply thought the players should have some say in directing charity dollars. I never uttered a word about being paid to play, nor did I want to be paid. I never mentioned the word "boycott." Anyway, the PGA of America wound up letting us designate $100,000 each to a charity of our choice. They said it was $200,000, but half of that is going to a PGA of America program at the school of our choice. In my case, Georgia Tech. So it's actually $100,000 that we get to designate.

Is that enough?

I don't have any issue with that. It's something, which is better than what it was.

So you were right?

I guess. There were a few guys who felt they should be paid for playing a Ryder Cup, which is fine; that's their position. I didn't want to get paid, but I got beat up. I got a kick out of some of the other players who weren't on the team giving me crap for talking about Ryder Cup money when they actually got paid for doing stuff at the Ryder Cup, like clinics for companies during the matches. The only guys who don't get paid at the Ryder Cup are the players in the Ryder Cup. The captain makes money. That's a problem I had with Crenshaw in 1999.

Explain.

Well, he talked about the purity of the Ryder Cup, and what he did with all that purity is make a bunch of money off the thing. He wrote a book about it; he had his clothing company involved. He kept saying how it burned his ass, us talking about charity dollars and hurting the sanctity of the event. But after he took his big stand and sold everybody else down the river, he did what we did with the charity money. I asked him point blank, "If you were so against this, why would you want anything to do with that charity money?" He took his $100,000 and sent it to the charity of his choice. Where's the purity in that?

Jimmy Muratt

Re:Duval vs. Crenshaw
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 12:24:07 AM »
One thing I have always enjoyed and admired about David Duval is that he is never afraid to say what is on his mind.  Many people may criticize that but you have to admire someone who gives you an honest answer and not the "canned and generic" quotes you get from most athletes these days.

I'm rooting for Duval to return to his form of old, he's been showing some good signs lately.

David Neveux

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:04:25 AM »
Jim, I'm totally with you there.  I have always been a big Duval fan, and would love to see him return to form.  

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:36:02 AM »
Still one of my favorites, never forget his charge on Sunday at Augusta in 2001, if he doesn't 3-putt 13, there may never have been a 'Tiger Slam or whatever.' He is a little different, but he is a class guy.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:46:31 AM »
First, I like David Duval, and I admire him for being a "straight shooter".  But what exactly is he shooting straight here?  He was pissed at Crenshaw because "He took his $100,000 and sent it to the charity of his choice."?

Second, I recall very clearly that some players did state publicly that they should be paid for the Ryder Cup.  When the $#!+ hit the fan, they backtracked, and said, "no, we just want to have some say in where the charity money goes."  I can't find any direct quotes now, of course...

But I will say this for Duval:  before the event, he was very indifferent, called it an exhibition, etc. etc.  After the event, he said on national TV, something like, "Boy, was I ever wrong about this.  Except for the charity money, I was completely wrong.  This was the greatest!"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back