News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

TKP-V: Event Report, Course Impressions, Next Year?
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:25:55 AM »
In the hopes that we can keep this to one thread, I'll start this one.  Many participants are still down there in SoCal as I type, playing Barona Creek today.  But most ought to be back at computers some time today or tonight.

First things first:  The South did indeed retain the Putter.  I believe the final score was something like 23.5-14.5, but in any case they whipped us good.  The better team won without a doubt.  Of course the way the teams were set up, the better team was never really in doubt, but hey, I'm a gentleman and shall give nothing but kudos to the victors.  ;)

The most important thing to report is that I believe a GREAT time was had by all.  It's been said many times in here but it bears repeating... if you haven't gone to one of these GCA gatherings, well, you need to.  It's like Old Home day, meeting all these guys you may have met before, may have not, but feel like you know either way.  It is really fun.  Again, MASSIVE kudos to Tommy for pulling this off.  We can't forget these were three VERY private clubs he set up for us... no small feat in itself... But anyway the entire event was top notch, top notch... the only problem being the Emperor may have set an impossibly high standard for us to meet for future events!

As for the courses, wow there is just way too much to say.  We did play three pretty damn good courses, two somewhat similar, one VERY different.  I will say it went down like this for me:

The Palms:  loved the greens, loved the fall-offs, found it to be pretty damn interesting.

The Plantation:  GREAT club atmosphere, man if I didn't have a daughter nagging me I could live there (it's male only).  As for the course, well maybe it was the heat, maybe I was just tired, but I really can't remember much about it.  I think it was pretty similar to The Palms, but architecture buffs far more into it than me need to report.

Stone Eagle:  well, I have thought long and hard about it, and that's no lie as I had 7 hours in the car yesterday in which to ponder.  I came off the first round there - played as a 2nd round of the day in intense heat, near exhaustion, playing awful... and I said it was my least favorite Doak course by far, as it was just way too severe, way too over the top.  Well... after a second round there, in the more managable morning temps, and playing much better... I've come to assess the course like this:  it is VERY severe.  Yes the fairways are wide, and in fact one can find one's golf ball sometimes on tee shots that would be off the world at other courses... BUT... just about every single green has the rocks on both sides, or if not, some VERY deep bunkers with VERY soft sand... the end effect being it's the approach shots that really make the course so severe.  The low handicapper will likely have no issues with the course in terms of severity - his impression will be based on whether he likes mountain golf or not.  I just can't see a high handicapper ever getting much enjoyment there... and choice of tees won't matter - it's all in the approach shots and it can't be much fun to lose that many balls on such shots, as he will.  Of course there's nothing else Doak could have done, given the site... He did do one hell of a job to make a pretty darn fun golf course out of that mountainside... I'm just having a hard time believing anyone with a handicap over 14 would enjoy the course long-term.  Maybe I'm wrong.  In any case, in the end I did find it pretty damn fun.  But I'm a 5 hdcp. - my game this weekend nothwithstanding.   ;)   I guess one possible bottom line is this:  I have never been so convinced of a course that George Pazin would hate.  He's a relatively high handicapper who also doesn't like desert/mountain golf.  He didn't care much for Black Mesa.  I think if he played Stone Eagle he might be left catatonic!   ;)

Last thing:  next year's TKP.  I heard lots of ideas floated, but nothing definitively.  What did others hear?  It will be NorCal's turn to host, organize, plan... but well... I'm not sure we have anyone who can do this like Tommy did... that is, get 40 guys on private clubs on a spring weekend... but let's discuss.  A neutral (AZ/OR) site is also very possible...

Once again, thanks Tommy.  One thing is crystal clear:  this was the best KP ever.  

TH

ps - yes, it was HOT.  But we survived.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:36:16 AM by Tom Huckaby »

George Pazin

Re:TKP-V: Event Report, Course Impressions, Next Year?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:40:13 AM »
When are you bringing the event to Pittsburgh? :)

I look forward to everyone's report, especially the high handicappers (if there were any, I know how you guys hate us).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andy Hughes

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 10:42:28 AM »
Hickories?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:46:49 AM »
George:

Did you see the late edit in which I reference you specifically?

As for impressions of high handicappers, well... there weren't that many there.  But a very, very wise 21 handicap we all know and love quit after one hole (primarily due to heat) but also didn't exactly have high impressions of the course.  I'll let him report himself, if and when he sees this.

Andy - we played a very fun hickory match at The Palms... Dave Moriarity whipping us good for 7 skins in 9 holes.  It was very fun and hickories worked great there.  I didn't have the will to use them at Stone Eagle... I just played SO awful my first round there, I had to give the course a chance with real clubs, see if I could manage to play it decently.  I will say it can be done - I managed a very nice 77 in the 2nd round, so I came home a bit happier.  I'd say the course could be done with hickories and would be very fun, but you'd need to play the way up tees.

TH

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 10:48:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to more stories about KPV. I had to omit this trip from my schedule reluctantly as other non-golfing commitments developed.

As far as next year is concerned, might I be so bold to suggest AZ as the new C&C Saguaro Course at We-Ko-Pa will be open by next spring. With TSN and Apache Stronghold(in grass growing season) and perhaps another gem, possibly private, available, this  could be an interesting trip.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »
Steve - that idea was floated, more or less... I for one am all for it.  As the usual leader of the NorCal organizing effort however, I'd need some help to make that happen... I'm just an ordinary joe and go through ordinary public channels.   ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 10:53:54 AM »
Addendum noted!

I'll place SE just barely above Cape Kidnappers (that fear of heights thing is overwhelming) on my TD wish list.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 10:58:01 AM »
George:  it was funny how your name came up in discussions.  You were there in spirit.

I also believe I have an interesting perspective this time.. I did indeed play one round like a 20 handicap, one like a 5.  The 20 handicap suffered a lot.   ;)

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 11:02:45 AM »
if it's not in Arnold-land ::) next year, I vote for AZ

depending on when and where I might even be dumb enough to help plan it.....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kirk

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 12:04:52 PM »
It's a shame that the contestants' first impressions of Stone Eagle came on a 110 degree day after already playing 18 holes.  Expectations were high since myself and others touted the course highly.

I think it's nearly impossible to separate one's mood when  evaluating a course.  There has been very little discussion so far, which leads me to believe that reactions to the course were mixed, and since expectations were high, I'm sure some were disappointed.

It's OK with me, as I enjoy the course very much.  So fire away.

TH, it's easier to lose a ball at Stone Eagle than Ballyneal or Pac Dunes, but I think it gives you plenty of room.  Of course, I'm a pretty low handicap player who hits it pretty straight.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 12:11:28 PM »
Where will KPV be next year.

I think I may be going with my dad...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 12:13:54 PM »
JK:

You are exactly right - I am living proof that it is very difficult to separate one's mood from a course evaluation.  Coming off an afternoon with as close to heat prostration as I have ever come, combined with playing as poorly as I have since I was 9 years old, well... I think I can be excused for not seeing all the good.   ;)

I am just very glad we did get to play it again.  Temps were much more doable the next morning, pace of play was much better, everything was much better.

And thus I came away with a MUCH more positive assessment personally.  The course is damn fun no matter how you look at it.  I doubt I'd ever get tired of playing it, but then again I'm assuming I'm the Good Tom who played Monday rather than the Hack Tom who played Sunday.  Hack Tom would not want to play that course very often.  On top of the severity in terms of ball loss, well... the greens might drive one to distraction.  They do have the internal contours so prized on here, that's for sure... and if you are putting well, they are great fun... but good lord do they punish the shaky putter.  And uniquely, I had a round of both, so I know of what I speak.   ;)

In the end, I do think impressions from the group were far more positive than negative.  It's just unfortunate perhaps you are hearing from me first.  Others will chime in... As I say lots are still out there playing the game today.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 12:14:57 PM »
Where will KPV be next year.

I think I may be going with my dad...

Jordan - just keep reading here.  It's likely we'll work it out tentatively either on this thread or elsewhere very soon, then some time in the fall exact details will be fleshed out and announced.

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 12:18:35 PM »
John, the conspiracy theorists out there will tell you there's not much discussion because no one would dare criticise Tom Doak.

It's been my experience that there is an unwritten rule about criticising a course when someone is generous enough to host a large gathering like this. (And I think this is a very wise and fair rule.)

Of course, all bets are off with that Huckaby guy - he'll rip anyone, anytime. ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 12:25:14 PM »
 ;D
Yeah, I'm just a killer on here.

I do believe in George's unwritten rule, btw.  I also didn't think that in this case we had any one host who might be offended by criticism, or take it the wrong way....

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 12:25:53 PM »
There has been very little discussion so far, which leads me to believe that reactions to the course were mixed, and since expectations were high, I'm sure some were disappointed.

Give it a day or so for the discussions to come through, many are still playing today and others are still in transit or working (not that that ever stopped anyone ...) ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 12:29:43 PM »

I vote for Talking Stick and Paul T. to plan it ....
"... and I liked the guy ..."

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 12:39:46 PM »

I vote for Talking Stick and Paul T. to plan it ....

but I'm sure I'd need some west coast help Mike...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:40:23 PM by Paul T »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 12:40:57 PM »
It was great to see everyone out here, and thanks to all who participated.

While I knew it was going to be somewhat risky to play an afternoon round in what was essentially a brick oven, the entire time I kept thinking of a visit to Stone Eagle was being built and seeing Tom Doak walk from hole to hole scoping out things in very extreme heat--building what I would call a very good golf course on a very difficult, but dramatic piece of land. So I figured we would have a few tempermental situations as far as each guy's personal quest to play and compete in 110 degree F heat. I apologize to those who didn't fare well from it. More then anything, I'm just glad you all got to see it because it is by far the best golf course I've ever seen on such a severe site.

Tom Huckaby's comments are also proof that when in better, more palatable temperatures, Stone Eagle you learn more and more about the place on return visits.  Yesterday morning's round was played in much more pleasing temperatures.

Tom,
The teams were actually quite balanced, with the South in advance losing one of our better players--John Cullum. This was done to balance out the top players. With two players--both from the North--having to cancel, I tried to make the best switches possible to balance that. I didn't want to win unfarely. I'm a better sportsman then that.

The North also had a much better advantage from a mid-handicap point of things. The South was out-numbered 7-5 in that category of players. when it came to the higher handicappers, even with the switch of players from the South to the North to cover the two that didn't show, well, the higher handicapped players still were quite balanced with the highest, a 28, a player from the South who was switched to the North, played like a 16 on all three of his rounds.

This match was in my terms--a fair and square one with the heat being the victor's best player.

Once again, thanks to all who participated. It was an honor to set it all up and as well get to have you all as mine, all mine, for one weekend. It's events like these I'm going to remember till the day I close my eyes.

P.S. Being that it's the South's right to chose the site (per KP rules and suggestions) As I conveyed before, I'm working on next year's site, and as soon as I can get the confirmation and details, I will present them to the North, where it will be held in much cooler, more palatable climates.

rjsimper

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »
Report #2  (though I am now realizing this will likely change as I am pushing a half hour on writing time on this since work is intervening as I type...)

As Huck noted, and as little surprise to anyone this side of Moscow, a great time was had by all - first and foremost, I'll float the biggest THANK YOU I can muster in Tommy's direction (which is currently in the direction of Barona Creek) - Top to bottom, an excellent event at facilities to which I could never dream we'd get a group like this all at once.

The final tally favored the mighty South by the aforementioned tally of 23.5 to 14.5 (though having only played with a handful of my southern cohorts before, I wasn't as convinced of the outcome beforehand as it seems Huck was ;) )

Regarding the courses-

The Palms-

A great "feel" to the place - low key, easy-going, and absolutely effuses "players club" from the moment you walk in the door.  I liked the course and I too thought the green complexes were exceptional - smartly conceived contours and surrounds.  My only reservation in giving it a full endorsement is that in one or two places I thought it a bit unnecessarily claustrophobic (the 4th comes to mind against the fence).

The other curiosity of the layout was the disparity between the nines for no apparant reason.  The front runs about 3200 yards and a par of 34, while the back hits close to 3900 and a par of 36.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but curious to be sure.  Why, on land where the holes are made and not found (unlike say, Pacific Dunes where the 3-3-5 start to the back is what the land presented) would Curley and Schmidt have chosen to keep the front nine compacted in one corner of the property whereas the back nine stretches it's legs over a much larger portion of the property (hitting three corners of the club land as it traverses the desert).  The back wallops you over the head with 3 big par 4s to start, and doesn't much let up until the reachable finishing hole (on which I must thank John Cullum for dropping a birdie on top of Tom Renli's two-putt birdie to save the super-skin (and five bucks a man) for our group...no way I make my birdie putt if he missed his.)

As Huck mentioned, one group went out for an emergency nine with hickories, and another went with the titanium and graphite - Myself, Sean Leary, Tony Peterson, Jeff Fortson, and Tom Brown played a five-way skins game in about an hour and twenty minutes or so with the Pro making good on his non-amateur status and cleaning up the only six skins conferred.

Plantation-

I really liked this course.  I preferred it to the Palms.  I'll be interested to hear the split between the group, and I know I heard ahead of time that many preferred the Palms to the Plantation, but while I preferred the green complexes a bit more at the Palms, the Plantation routing and corridors was superior.  The course felt significantly more cohesive and it flowed naturally from here to there without the jolts and jars that the Palms hiccuped.  I don't know what the land numbers are, but it felt like a bigger golf course (though they do love the Palm Springs signature - the medium length par 3 over water)

Stone Eagle-

Wow.  Just wow.  Driving up to this golf course is a special feeling - the reveal once you get past the driving range (which, mind you, is complete with Doak bunkering throughout) is stunning - you can't see the golf course until you turn that final corner, and much like the drive from LA to Vegas, the ultimate reveal is the stuff that gets your heart beating like a kid on Christmas morning before Mom and Dad are up.

Some will call the course too severe, some will call the greens over the top, and some will find other reasons to say boo (in a relative context of course) but I think in my 5 short minutes sitting with Tommy and Golf's Most Beloved Figure, Ran said it best - the golf course is an accomplishment.

Perhaps my perspective is skewed by my familiarity with the likes of Lost Canyons, Eagle Glen, and other mountaingoat LA layouts, but to see what they did with this place hasn't stopped amazing me even as I sit two days removed from my round (I didn't get the treat of the second round as I had to be at work Monday promptly at 9).

I'm going to have a difficult time placing holes with proper numbers so bear with me, but to see a hole like the short par 4 6th - a remarkably playable hole that jumps from mountain to mountain and somehow has a fairway running a ridge to a green site with a punishing false front (though not a true false front as the ball will collect at the very bottom edge of the green if it rolls back as I found out) is one that stands out to me.  

18 is an exceptional long par 4.  A challenge (I disagree with it's classification by some as a par 4.5) fit to end a round at a course like this, and an interesting side-by-side comparison with the 17th that climbs straight up the hill that the 18th tumbles down.

Loved the opening hole as well...

As for how it ranks in the scheme of things - while I'd probably get into some bad habits if this was my everyday course, I loved it.  Instantly, I think it should be regarded as one of the best overall (and certainly the most unique) in the Coachella Valley.  

Too severe?  Not in my world.  I've seen what can happen in land like this far too many times.  

I wasn't a huge fan of the uphill par 4 on the back with the crossing hazard (13 was it?) - though the sour taste probably comes in part from the fact that I took the smart play and played 3 wood off the tee, which still ran through the fairway and into the junk.

Regarding the bunkers, I was surprised at how well they fit in to the landscape.  While I wouldn't call them "natural" a la Pacific Dunes, but such an accomplishment is really not possible.  The discussion in advance of our outing was how white they looked and how they wouldn't fit in...the only time I said "yep, Doak bunkers" to myself was on the drop shot par 3 on the back (14 I guess?)  The hazard/bunker on the inside of the 8th dogleg is awesome.  I pushed my tee shot into the desert, but Jason Topp hit a so-so drive right into it and I wonder from the tips how the carry is over it.  

Our forecaddie told me no when I asked if I could challenge it...but it seems that its really not that far.  

Jeff Fortson - if you've read this far - you made a good number on 8 - I assume you challenged the bunker (or at least know if it can and/or should be done) but with the way the hole shapes, an aggressive ball over the corner would be a viable play.  And, if so, that makes this hazard that much better because it is VERY intimidating from the tee (and even moreso up close).

I'd love another shot at Stone Eagle just to see how more of the angles work - it's easy to dismiss a hole as too easy on a course like this if you catch a clean drive downhill and blast it 350 yards.  That's the easy part.  The value elsewhere lies in what happens when you DON'T catch the speed slots and instead find yourself somewhere other than position A.  

I'm a wild hitter off the tee most of the time, and I felt mostly comfortable at Stone Eagle.  For a course in the mountains AND in the desert to boot, this might be my greatest compliment of all.  It was my favorite of the three, and easily the most memorable (and that's no slight to the other two courses, Stone Eagle was just that impressive to me).

I'd play other courses on a daily basis, probably by the dozens, over Stone Eagle...but give me an isolated round once a year at any golf course in Southern California and I'm not sure I would choose anything else.

I'm truly lucky to be playing in an era where courses like this are being built.  I hope that more will take their cues from Tom's example of what can be done if you don't settle for just another crappy mountaingoat course.  

Again, thanks to all involved - I had a blast and I'm already looking forward to helping the South defend yet again at KPVI, wherever she may be.

(I've also got a priceless video clip of Mr. Evan Fleisher, which I will post with the accompanying story ONLY with his permission - so Evan, if you're reading and agreeable to a bit of ribbing in the name of smiles, I leave the ball in your court, fully respecting of your wishes should you decline ;) )

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:47:46 PM by Ryan Simper »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »
Tommy:

Re the teams, well you know I just had to say something in the way of an excuse.  ;)  The South won fair and square.  Just shit-giving there, and the only excuse I could come up with.   ;D

As for next year's site, well... tradition to date has not been that the victor choose, but rather that we rotate.  If you'll recall, it went like this:

KP-I - Barona - organizing done by you, with help from Getka and me - South hosts in any case (North won)

KP-II - Pasatiempo - organizing by me, North hosts (North won)

KP-III - Rustic - organizing by David M. - South hosts (South won)

KP-IV - Stevinson - organizing by me - North hosts (halved, South retains Putter)

KP-V - Palm Desert - organizing by you - South hosts (South wins)

If the rules were that the victor got to choose, we would have never gone south.  So since we got to do Rustic and these great courses this past weekend, well I guess the rotation rule has proved to be a good thing.   ;D

However, if you have something in mind, then by all means let's do it!  I just wouldn't want to impose on you again... You and I both know these things are a lot of work.  Thus we (myself and whatever other NorCals I can con into helping me) are happy to do the legwork.  Let's talk.

TH

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:57:40 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 01:00:37 PM »
Does Stone Eagle live up to the Doak philosophy I've been using as my signature quotation for several years now?

"We don't wish the good player ill, but . . . we don't want him to overstate his case." T. Doak, 1/11/2004
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

DMoriarty

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 01:09:01 PM »
Tommy,  Tom is correct, it is indeed the North's turn to choose the location for KP 6, and to organize.  

And Tom H, thanks for stepping up and volunteering to take laboring oar,  I was worried we were going to face a power vacuum, but with you in charge I am sure KP 6 will be great . . .

As for your assessment, I definitely disagree with you on the harshness to high handicappers even on the approaches . . .  I dont have time to get into it now but will later, time permitting.

Enjoyed seeing you and many of the old gang again, and especially enjoyed meeting some new faces who were a terrific addition to the festivities.  

And again congratulations to Tommy for really pulling off a great event.    

Tom H, as for next years event, let us know how the planning goes and when we can book our hotel rooms.  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:11:50 PM by DMoriarty »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 01:19:12 PM »
David:

Well, Paul Thomas has also stepped up, so let's not get so hasty assuming I am going to do it!  And I remain very sincere in two things:

1.  Tommy shouldn't have to do it again.  You too also know these things require a lot of work.

2.  However if he wants to, and has something great in mind, then of course we ought to do it.  OBVIOUSLY he can make things happen that I can't come close to doing... I stated that before.

I'm sure it will all work out.

As for Stone Eagle, you've seen it a lot more than I have, so I'd be very interested in your further thoughts about the severity around the greens.   I surely could be wrong.  It's such a unique course, so different... I'm finding it really tough to get a handle on.  I do know I'd love to play it again though... but as I say, as Good Tom.  Hack Tom got really killed.  So I don't know what to think.

In any case, hell yes, great to see you and everyone and everyone "new."

Dan K.:  I'm not sure what Doak's statement really means.  Explain it a little and maybe I can take a stab.  But David M. or John Kirk would be way better than me to take a stab at that.

TH
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:21:48 PM by Tom Huckaby »

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 01:23:25 PM »
Any kind of estimate on "death" approach shots (rock strewn surrounds) versus really difficult approach shots (deep bunkers with soft sand)?

I'd rather a course be very challenging around the green than off the tee, but I don't like "death" situations anywhere on a course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back