News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Russell Lo

Local Knowledge vs. The study of GCA
« on: November 05, 2002, 03:21:14 PM »
On a recent thread the discussion of having local knowledge vs. being a student of golf course architecture as it relates to playing a course came up. No doubt, the two are closely related, but it seems to me that someone with local knowledge of a course will only have an advantage at one course. Meanwhile a student may recognize traits of an architect or recognize topography that lends itself to playing a hole a certain way.

Do you think a person with local knowledge is a student of golf course architecture, perhaps unknowingly? Conversely, does a student of golf course architecture have insight into a course before he or she plays it the first time? Is it more advantageous to have an intimate knowledge of a worthy course or a broader knowledge of GCA based on many courses to be a better player? Better student?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tim Weiman

Re: Local Knowledge vs. The study of GCA
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 03:28:41 PM »
Russell:

Very few people actually travel extensively or enough to be a serious "student" of golf archtecture. To the contrary, most people stay home and play their home course over and over again. So, for the majority, I would say an intimate knowledge of their course is most important. A general knowledge of golf architecture becomes more important if you travel and play different courses only once or twice. The story I told about playing #15 at Crystal Downs the first time is probably as good of an example as I can give.

Russell Lo

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 03:41:22 PM »
Tim,

Your recollection of Crystal Downs is what led me to start this topic. I think playing a course over and over helps you with yardages,club selection and reading breaks but won't necessarily help with deciding how to play to a green with a false front. I get to play 3-5 new courses a year and really think the lessons learned from the various books on GCA and the discussions posted here have helped in enjoying an playing those courses more.

I played Mauna Kea for the first time last year and had an absolute blast seeing how RTJ Jr. designed the course. All the shots that I "mastered" from my local course meant nothing since the greens complexes and wind variety were so different. Conversely, I played Raspberry Falls outside of DC (Gary Player design) and didn't really appreciate it until I gained knowledge from this site and other tomes on GCA.

I really think that although it may be difficult to be a hands on student all the time (kudos to those who are able), we all can learn and enjoy from studying GCA at whatever levels we choose.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 07:49:04 PM »
Russell,
Knowing how to play your home course simply means "you know how to play your home course".  I'm not sure it translates into understanding and/or appreciating golf course architecture.  In my humble opinion, there is no better substitute to learning about golf course architecture then playing and studying lots and lots of different courses (good ones and no so good ones).  The other thing that helps is to play with members of those clubs (who know the course), and if you can, play with the architects of those courses.  It's amazing what you can learn!

By the way, Mauna Kea was designed by RTJ Senior I believe!  I really enjoy that golf course!
Mark  

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 01:31:36 AM »
The study of golf architecture, or at least some degree of heightened awarness of golf architecture definitely has an influence on probably both local knoledge and how someone may play a golf course.

We did a thorough design evolution booklet of my golf course complete with historic aerials and also a hole by hole description of what the architects may have intended in both principle and detail about basically how to play the course.

And this booklet was distributed to every single member of the club.

So many members came up to say that although they may have been members for decades and although they aren't necessarily hitting the ball better they feel they may be able to play the course better and to a person they say they look at the golf course now in a very different way--in a sense an "architectural way"!

If that's not the result and the effects of increased awareness and understanding of GCA than what the hell is it?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2002, 06:19:16 AM »
When Dan King and I played SFGC we were on the second and I had 165 into the uphill green. I said just pror to takeaway "If this Tillie guy is any good I should get a kick towards the green over the left bunker".

Well. do I have to tell you guys if Tillie's any good?

So theres an example of knowing just a little GCA and no local knowledge, helped me to play the proper shot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back