News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Sebonack 19th
« on: June 03, 2006, 02:51:00 AM »
Its funny, but almost all the stories linked to Sebonack lately have the 19th hole pictured.  Now most of these articles are from Hamptons related websites reporting the opening.  But, I do find it funny that a hole that will not get much play according to some is being prominently displayed:

http://beach.curbed.com/archives/2006/05/31/beach_scenes_sebonack_golf_club.php

Tom_Doak

Re:Sebonack 19th
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 09:58:07 AM »
It's the prettiest background on the course ... but I think the phenomenon has more to do with it being the shortest walk from the clubhouse.

Pat Howard

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 12:50:42 PM »
I love the idea of a 19th hole to settle a bet. Is this an original idea unique to Sebonack?

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 01:00:47 PM »
It is certainly a unique idea, but it is not original to Sebonack.  Forest Dunes, in Michigan, has a 19th hole, which is referred to as the Bye Hole.  My guess is that courses with a 19th hole, utilize it, to return golfers nearer to the clubhouse when the routing doesn't allow the 18th to do so.  That, and it's a rather neat idea for settling bets and other games.
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 01:48:18 PM »
Pat,

On my recent tour through Australia, I noticed that many of the 'Sandbelt' clubs had 19th holes, including Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath & Yarra Yarra. At my home club, we are bringing back a 19th hole that had been part of the original Stanley Thompson design. Not only is it a great tie-breaker hole, but an excellent safety net should a hole need to be closed for maintenance, renovation, winter-damage etc.

TK

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »
It also just happened to photograph well last fall when all of the other holes showed signs of still being in process of growing in or finishing, such as having unraked bunker sand that was still in piles.

Eamon Lynch

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »
Old Palm, a Ray Floyd course in Palm Beach, also has a 19th hole to settle bets. It is a shortish island green par 3.

ChipOat

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 10:37:17 PM »
Pocono Manor used to have one and may still - I haven't been there in forever although I think Tom Paul has.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 10:41:10 AM »
I like the concept of a bye hole if it makes sense and isn't  done just to do it. Sebonack's is particularly interesting to me because it seems sort of quirky because of how most of it seems sort of wedged in there around the 1st hole, the 18th green and the 2nd tees. Even for a bye hole it seems unconventional.

On that course that never was---Ardrossan---a really interesting bye hole was designed that actually doubled as a par 5 green if the golfers chose to play the 18th hole as a long par 5 instead of a long par 4. If the long par 4 18th was chosen that left the golfers about 200 yards from the clubhouse and so they could either just walk in or play the bye hole par 3 of about 175 yards which was something like the third shot to the par 5 18th hole iteration.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 12:42:03 AM »
Maybe it's a new fad-  C and C put one in on Old Sandwich (Plymouth, MA.), and Doak at Stone Eagle.

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 02:15:52 AM »
It is certainly a unique idea, but it is not original to Sebonack.  ......  My guess is that courses with a 19th hole, utilize it, to return golfers nearer to the clubhouse when the routing doesn't allow the 18th to do so.  That, and it's a rather neat idea for settling bets and other games.

Sounds like MPCC's new Ocean Course.  The 18th hole (I think it was the 17th in the original routing) doesn't return the golfer to the clubhouse or carpark.  Perhaps a 'bye' hole (par 3) will find its way there over time.  Not necessarily a great idea, but the necessary distance from 18 to clubhouse/carpark is there.  At the moment, some of this area is used for a 'bye' clubhouse locker room/pro shop. ;D

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 06:05:14 AM »
  I think Fenway had a 19th. Prior to the resent renovtion I think it was a short game practice area. Was it retained in the renovation?

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 09:05:46 AM »
GMGC has a "Bye" hole of sorts to settle bets. Actually it's not exactly a hole, it's called the "pit" and it's the dark panelled room next to our funky lockeroom most golfers go to after a round for a drink and to settle up bets. My "bet settler" is my .45 caliber pistol. If there's any disputes about the bets I just haul it out and put it on the table and the bets are always settled pretty much the way I want them to be.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 09:21:19 AM »
Byes are far from a fad, Wayne.  

There's a lot of them. Even some unassuming places have them.

Many are very small and unassuming, just a place to settle up as intended.  Architecturally, is much more needed?  Is it necessary to have great architecture or the hystrionics of "signaturism"?  Ours at Lehigh is actually longer than most at 165 yards or so; it didn't impress one member of this board very much last week on his visit.

Yet another I can think of played recently was the downhill 100 yarder at Stone Canyon in Oro Valley, AZ.  Almost completely ringed with bukers and elevated about 20 feet, architecturally, a little nothing hole really, but far from an easy hole, an embarasser, actually.

Bill,

How often are fads ever new ideas...if they were new they wouldn't become boring so fast and thus would not be fads..

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 01:28:23 PM »
What happens when you tie 19? Keep playing it over and over till the tie is broken?

It might get a lot of play!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 02:01:45 PM »
Double Eagle. It can be played coming off both 9 and 18 (I think there may actually be two flags).

Alan Carter

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »
Rebel Creek a public course in Southern Ontario also has a 19th hole.

They have a $5.00 closest to the pin contest each day and invite all of the daily winners back for an event in late September.  For that event, they then have closest to the pin prize for each of the Par 3's on the course and the first hole in one wins a Mercedes.

Super marketing idea!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back