News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Old Greenwood or Coyote Moon ? tahoe
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:45:39 PM »
thoughts re scenic virtues, terrain,character, and greens of these  California courses would be appreciated. thanks

Tim Leahy

Re:Old Greenwood or Coyote Moon ? tahoe
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:02:47 PM »
Coyote Moon is more exciting challenge wise with some spectacular holes and a couple of duds. It is older and gets alot more play so it is not in as good a condition as Old Greenwood. Top to bottom I enjoyed Old Greenwood's countryclub conditions and classic feel better than Coyote.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:01:02 PM »
I'm kind of 50-50 on this one.   I would play Coyote Moon if its your only choice or Incline Village. Old Greenwood you have to play a few times to get the feel of it and appreciate it.  I walked away from Old Greenwood shaking my head at a few things, but I'll probably go back this summer for another round.

Coyote Moon has some really interesting holes if you are looking at architecture.  I thought Brad Bell did a very good job but it does get alot of play.  There are no homes at Coyote Moon and a million homes at Old Greenwood most of which are under construction.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:58:01 PM »
Mark:

I echo what Joel said. Coyote Moon has some rather unique and bold holes that you don't see in the Sierras between California and Nevada.

With that said -- I do also concur with Tim when he mentioned the overall consistency with what you see at Old Greenwood -- give Jack's team credit for a superb short par-4 5th and the dynamic risk / reward par-5 6th, to name just two holes.

At Coyote Moon you have some really wild terrain and the player must gauge correctly the proper distance and desire for risk. The par-4 17th is without question one of the best holes you can play at the course and would venture to say even further it's one of the best mountain holes you can play in the overall area.

The only issue I had with Coyote Moon was the lack of practice facilities worthy of such a course. I guess Old Greenwood gets the edge in that department.

Josh Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 10:35:58 PM »
Have not played Old Greenwood yet, have heard mixed reviews.  Coyote Moon is unique and worth playing for a few reasons.  Brad Bell doesn't seem to have a certain style, which can be a good thing, that is mainly due to his reliance on the contractor.  It is in a great setting with an all natural trout creek running through a few holes.  Though i have only played it once since it opened, I really like it and most of my friends love it.  I was the construction superintendent for the final 4 months of the project in charge of getting the final grades on all the greens milder and sodding them as the winter had kept the original crew from finishing any of them.  The crew the year before had some unbelievable and unputtable slopes built in the gravel blankets likely from carelessness.  Or maybe they were ahead of their time and planned to play them fast and firm at a stimp of 7.  We had the task of softening everything as much as possible while staying within 10-14 inches of sand.   If it does not probe out that way, don't call me.  We did the best we could given the footprint.  Bob Flint, son of Homer Flint did most of the finish work on the greens.  Speaking of footprint, I am 95% sure Bell inherited the routing from a different architect from years before.
      When it first opened it had the best deal around, 100 bucks or so for the green fee.  This price included all you could eat or drink from the cart girl, including beer.  I don't drink when I golf, but I thought that was a beautiful marketing plan.  Likely she got some huge tips.  I am excited to play it next time I am up there.  
      Genoa Lakes is also a great course not very far away either.  Harbottle/Jacobsen.  Just play before the afternoon, some unbelievable winds whip up around then.  Lou Eiguren is the DOG or Head Pro, great guy who used to be Head Pro at Olympic, and Edgewood.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 10:45:30 PM by Josh Smith »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back