News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Sobieski

Re:Art Hills good for golf...
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 12:07:15 PM »
David W:

I played a course yesterday where they are contemplating a Hills renovation. I was flabbergasted at some of the suggested changes. Almost like he wants to move dirt just for the sake of moving it and flattening natural contours rather than take advantage of them. The members that I played with are already second-guessing the decision to use him, but it appears that the biggest voices on the decision making panel are taking what they feel is the safest course of action. Why do chain restaurants succeed? You know what the quality will be, so it's a safe decision. It may not be great food, but you know in advance exactly what you are paying for.

The par 5 you describe at U of M used to be one of my favorite par 5's anywhere.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 12:09:52 PM by Doug Sobieski »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 01:01:49 PM »
Jordan,

Take another read of David's last bit about Bay Harbor, if you would. These are the Hills antics that so frustrate me, I have been fortunate to play a lot of great clubs and courses, not by some standards, but I would say a lot. The thing is, i love to play a great golf course, love it, but most of friends to do not belong to a great club and most of my opportunities to play the great or really good golf courses in our country come from having a low enough handicap and a great willingness to travel(by car) to see them. After reading what you have read about Hills, would you want him to design Bay Harbor if we could do it all over? My friend has a cottage up there and we could go all the time, but no, the place sucks. Longaberger is only 2 hours away, but the place sucks. I feel robbed, some will say that I am whining, but I feel that Hills owes the golf world A LOT more. The owners of these golf courses owe us a lot more. David is comparing the property to Whistling and Bay Harbor is the 35th best public course, that is a travesty!!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:02:42 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Mike McGuire

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 01:33:49 PM »
the drainage on our course was designed by the big guy when the glaciers retreated 15,000 years ago. With elevation top of 175 ft on our kame to a kettle in the corner at 0 ft, our course in the kettle moraine drains like no other.

Our 18 hole elevation was about  80 ft in the short LZ and about 50 ft. at the green , small ponds L and R not really in play.

During renovation the green was moved back behind the right pond  and the fairway lowered. They wanted to go lower but hit bedrock.

Now we have drains installed in the fairway and its unusually wet. Please dont ask me what it cost. Thanks AH.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back