News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ted Kramer

Best <170 yard shot in golf?
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »

The more I think about #11 at Shinnecock the more I love it.
Are there any better mid-range par 3's?
I know that I haven't played any.

-Ted

wsmorrison

Re:Best <170 yard shot in golf?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 06:51:32 PM »
Ted,

When I saw your heading I immediately thought of the same hole.  It was nice to open your thread and see that photograph!  I have yet to find a better short par 3 anywhere.

I'll have to give some thought to some of my favorite <170 yard approach shots on par 4s and 5s.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:58:51 PM »
Ted, I think you should've said tee shot.

Think the approach at #2 Oakmont, #10 Riviera, etc.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ted Kramer

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:01:06 PM »
I was lucky enough to hit a good shot from the tee on #11 during my first and only round at Shinnecock. I don't know if I've ever been more pleased with a golf shot in my life . . . Watching that high, soft cut 7 iron, hang up against the breeze and drift slowly towards that flag was pure joy . . .

granted I missed the 10 footer  ::) ;D ;)

-Ted

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:26:28 PM »
I got rained out on #2 at Shinnecock-like that hole, so I never got to see #11, it looks fabulous though. The only thing that comes to my mind and I am sure, that I am one of the very few, but I think that #2 at NCR South belongs in this category, the yardage is correct, it has a very narrow green with traps on both sides and standing on the tee you just have the feeling that if you do find a bunker, you could find the other one and be right back where you are in a minute. It is almost as hard to hit the green with your second. The fear factor is only there if you have missed this green, so it might take a few times to play it, but I feel it is an underrated hole.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 11:09:05 PM »
Could #11 Shinnecock be an Eden hole?  I've never played it, but that photo is evocative.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 11:33:40 PM »
A few other obvious contenders:

ANGC #12
Pebble #7
CPC #15
Troon Postage Stamp
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:36:26 PM by Jim Nugent »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 11:52:30 PM »
Jim,

What tees are you playing? ;) Those holes are much shorter than 170. Pebble 7 would put the fear of God in anyone if it played 170. ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 12:34:46 AM »
Glenn, I thought the question was under 170.  At least that is what the title says.  Though Ted did say in the post itself "mid-range."  Hmmm.  Were you thinking of anything under 170, Ted, or right around 170?  

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 12:54:06 AM »
#3 Wannamoissett

Ben Voelker

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 01:29:17 AM »
I know you guys aren't real excited about Torrey here, and I'm not either, but I really think that the 3rd is a very interesting hole, especially from the more diagonal angle the pros play it from.  I believe pros play it from a bit longer, but the "tips" out for normal play are around 160.  There's plenty of options (the more left you are, the more bold) and there's plenty of penalty for getting overly agressive.  Furthermore, if you're too conservative, the putt from the left side of the green to the left is absolutely wicked.  I will post a photo if I can find one.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 01:58:11 AM »
Jim,

Oh, yes, please excuse me. I did not see the arrow, your list is perfect.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 02:54:05 AM »
#5 Teeth of the Dog before the Hurricane..

Ted Kramer

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 06:37:44 AM »
Glenn, I thought the question was under 170.  At least that is what the title says.  Though Ted did say in the post itself "mid-range."  Hmmm.  Were you thinking of anything under 170, Ted, or right around 170?  

I was thinking mid-range . . .
155-180.
Under 170 would include lots of chips and putts too, I wasn't really looking for that, but the title isn't all that clear. Sorry.

-Ted

wsmorrison

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 06:38:26 AM »
Bill,

The part of the property this hole and most of the back 9 sits on is land that Lucien Tyng donated to the club for Flynn's complete renovation to the pre-existing Macdonald course.  If there is a passing resemblance to an Eden style hole, I doubt it was with a template in mind.  It is a scary little hole near the high ground of the golf course so wind is a huge factor as are the fall-offs and trouble all around.

Having honors on this hole with the wind up is not an advantage at all.  I'd rather someone else be the guinea pig.

Approach shots under 170 yards:

11th at Merion--about as much of a knee-knocker you can have with a lofted club in your hand

16th at Philadelphia Country--hanging lie to the tiniest little boomerang green with a centerline bunker to just hit over to feed the ball down the hill onto the green; a unique shot!

18th at Huntingdon Valley--better hit a long fade on the tee shot, this approach is tough and tougher with right pin positions.

11th at Huntingdon Valley--WOW

TCC, Brookline 13 in championship play--the hole is called Beauty and it sure is!

17th at TCC, Pepper Pike--a must-see hole!

Indian Creek--there's so many of them; a must see course!

10th at Aronimink--they're not all Flynn's    ;)

16th at Aronimink--pin positions are key to placement of second shot on this par 5

8th at Manufacturers--drop shot beauty

16th at Manufacturers--nice quarry to avoid on the right like Addington

7th at Gulph Mills--if you don't go for it in 2

6th at The Creek--as good as it gets

16th at Kittansett

4th at French Creek--nice uphill par 3

I'll think of some more, the dog needs to go out for a walk now
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 07:33:57 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 07:19:37 AM »
This one might be the best:

We played it this past Wednesday.  It was a beautiful day but the wind was howling.  The best shot in our group was a Driver (hit from a 154 yards) to 12 feet.  I hit 2I to 250 feet  :( but I was still on the green in regulation  ;D  I only three putted which wasn't all that bad!

Edward Coombes

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 08:44:12 AM »
By my calculations, the 15th @ Kingston Heath qualifies length-wise and quality-wise imo.
We have several other gr8 1-shotters in Oz just above and below your stipulated distance.
Cheers,
Ed

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 08:53:42 AM »
It is the 8th at Pebble.

A perfect drive will leave the golfer yards from cliff's edge. Compounding the greatness because one can see the whole enchilada. Ball, shot, cove, naked sunbathers?

James Bennett

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 08:49:55 PM »
Monterey Peninsula Country Club, Dunes Course, Hole number 10 at 165 yards.

If you haven't been there, check out the Courses by Country review for a picture.  It is what you expect Pebble Beach #17 green would look like from the tee (but Pebble's #17 doesn't visually look as good, unfortunately:().

I played it into a slight breeze on a sunny afternoon.  I will always remember it (and all of the other par 3's on the Dunes).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

mike_malone

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 08:58:46 PM »
I think of #13 at Rolling Green as a good example for an approach shot because even the best golfers need to layup to roughly this yardage to avoid running through the fairway. This leaves an all carry shot to a two tier green that has NO easy putts anywhere. This puts a lot of pressure on you even though  there isn't any silly stuff to avoid.It is just demanding.
AKA Mayday

Mark_F

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 09:06:21 PM »
The second shot to the fourth hole at Dornoch, the second shot to the third hole at Macrihanish, or the approach to the 18th at Royal Porthcawl.

For a par three, I would go the tee shot on the 16th at National Old, or the fifth hole at Woodlands.

John Kirk

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 11:26:56 PM »
A few more candidates of the par 3 variety:

#11 Pacific Dunes
#17 Bandon Trails
#2  Kingsley Club
#3  Ballyneal Golf and Hunt Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back