News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Cullum

Oak Quarry-Riverside CA
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:16:40 AM »
I was searching around for interesting golf between Ontario CA and and Indian Wells and I stumbled across this Schmidt and Curley design. It looks pretty interesting from the few photographs I see. I think the green fee is quite low as well.

Can anyone give any further comment on this course?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

rjsimper

Re:Oak Quarry-Riverside CA
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »
There's been a lot of discussion on it (do a search) here and there, but the consensus seems to be (and my opinion agrees) that it is better than many courses in the area while being far from great - there are definitely a handful of spectacular holes worth seeing for the wow factor

The green fees I would not call low - in fact, I think they are the highest in the area at close to 100 bucks for a weekend.  I've only played there once because of the green fees, with other options in the 50-75 dollar range nearby.

Scott_Burroughs

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:09:47 AM »
Scott

Thanks for the link. I tried a couple of searches and came up wiht no results. I cannot imagine why that thread didn't come up. I set a 1500 day parameter.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 11:24:37 AM »
John,
I have to make this quick because I'm out the door to the desert to finalize arraingements for the KP, but the course for me is pretty solid. Some really good holes, some repeticious ones from the Schmidt & Curley repetriore', but defintely the most dramatic. I'll post some images later tonight when I get home.

The thing I like about the course is that there is defintely nothing like it anywhere here in SoCal. It's usually in great shape too. I'll give you the 411 about certain holes and what they were confronted with later in terms of how the course was routed. #17 was actually going to be #1 and #18 would have been #2. The current #1 would have then become the 3rd. This would have made #16, #18--if that makes sense.

A solid course and more proof that Schmidt & Curley deserve a lot more respect.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:31:45 AM »
Tommy, that routing would have made the current #1 (an excellent r/r driveable par 4) in a better slot than right off the bat when you're not really warmed up yet to 'go for it'.

John_Cullum

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:34:31 AM »
Running off of Scotts link, I found this thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17518;start=0#msg309132

Which is exactly what I was looking for. I have lots of trouble searching the board.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:35:56 AM by John Cullum »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:36:44 AM »
I can echo what has been said -- Curley & Schmidt did a fine job particularly on a site that called for a creative routing.

The short par-4 on the front -- if memory serves I believe it was the 4th -- is very well done. A neat tee shot that needs to decide how far to play with danger looming on the left.

For those searching for an Inland Empire layout it's a worthy place to play.

P.S. There's more to the course beyond the unique quarry par-3 hole.

rjsimper

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
I dont think I had heard about that routing change, Tommy - makes sense given that I liked the first hole, but not as a first hole.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 03:13:13 PM »
I was searching around for interesting golf between Ontario CA and and Indian Wells and I stumbled across this Schmidt and Curley design. It looks pretty interesting from the few photographs I see. I think the green fee is quite low as well.
Can anyone give any further comment on this course?

A couple of other options between Ontario and PS are Oak Valley in Beaumont and the PGA courses at Oak Valley, 36 holes. All three are interesting and lower in green fee and less off the track located just off the 10 freeway.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 11:58:42 AM »
Sarge

I played Oak Quarry a couple of years ago and loved it! I have recommended the side trip from Palm Springs to anyone who would listen. None have been disappointed. In fact everyone has come back and thanked me for the recommendation. Considering the slim daily fee pickings in the Palm Springs area, Oak Quarry is well worth the trip to Riverside.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back