News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave_Miller

Mini Verde in Fairways and Rough?
« on: May 15, 2006, 03:03:22 PM »
To the Treehouse:
In researching various grasses the Mini Verde Ultra Dwarf gets very high marks as a green surface but I can find no information as to whether Mini Verde can be used for Fairways and rough areas.
Does anyone have any experience with Mini Verde used in fairways.
Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Mini Verde in Fairways and Rough?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 03:46:22 PM »
Dave,
  I'm quite sure that Mini-Verde has to be mowed too short to be a good fairways grass. It's similar to Tifeagle and Champion where it really has to be mowed below .135"

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Dave_Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 03:57:05 PM »
Dave,
  I'm quite sure that Mini-Verde has to be mowed too short to be a good fairways grass. It's similar to Tifeagle and Champion where it really has to be mowed below .135"

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC

Tony:
Thanks.  I have found no information on Mini Verde other than as a grass for the greens.
Best
Dave

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 05:00:22 PM »
I don't think I would use this in fairways or roughs, it is a greens grass and the price alone would be prohibitive. Check with Mike Brown at Champion Turf, he has a very nice fairway and rough grass that in years past would be greens grade, but has been developed for fairways / roughs at high end joints.
www.cturf.com

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 05:49:08 PM »
Mini Verde has been used on tee boxes at Pine Tree.

Celebration is a new grass for fairways that looks promising in Florida.

Chris Neff

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »
Hey Dave!
Take a look at Mini-Verde in the approaches. I have a test green with Tifeagle and Mini-Verde and have a strip of both grasses mowed at 3/16" that would be an approach height. It performs very good. Also gives of a nice contrast when the green is mowed at 1/10". We are thinking about it for the playability around the greens to keep with the Donald Ross feel and play. Just a thought. I know we keeping talking about Pine Tree but they have Tifeagle green complexes and they are great. Definetly will need to have a great irrigation system to have the control of water. Mini-Verde is a great option though. Sounds like you are assisting in a grass selection somewhere.

Chris Neff,GCS
Timuquana CC  

Dave_Miller

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 08:07:32 PM »
Hey Dave!
Take a look at Mini-Verde in the approaches. I have a test green with Tifeagle and Mini-Verde and have a strip of both grasses mowed at 3/16" that would be an approach height. It performs very good. Also gives of a nice contrast when the green is mowed at 1/10". We are thinking about it for the playability around the greens to keep with the Donald Ross feel and play. Just a thought. I know we keeping talking about Pine Tree but they have Tifeagle green complexes and they are great. Definetly will need to have a great irrigation system to have the control of water. Mini-Verde is a great option though. Sounds like you are assisting in a grass selection somewhere.

Chris Neff,GCS
Timuquana CC  

Chris:
Thanks for the info.  I am on the Green Committee of my club in Florida and we are considering re-grassing and trying to figure out the best course of action.
Terry Cremens said to say hello.
Best
Dave

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 12:02:53 AM »
Dave Miller,

Mini Verde was one of the grasses that Pine Tree experimented with.

I don't know if they used mini verde on the tees.

Boca Rio planted their tees with a grass that Pine Tree liked, so Pine Tree experimented with two tees of the same grass, liked it, and went to all 18.

However, they've since replanted and I forget which grass they used.

That's why I suggested that you call Talbott Denny at Pine Tree.  He should have all the data and details.

Good Luck.

Eric Smith

Re: Mini Verde in Fairways and Rough?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 09:30:54 AM »
Are there examples of courses using mini verde bermuda in their fairways? I had a dream last night and was remembering playing Streamsong Blue a couple years ago when Kyle Harris drove up in his work vehicle, hopped out and played the par 3 fifth hole with a putter. Pretty sure he got it airborn for most of its journey to the green and it was an impressive play but remember I was in a dream and so I was transitioning in and out of another day - the day I played the Old Course at St Andrews and played my putter from 83 yards out on the eighteenth. Just a marvelous playing surface there at TOC that allows you to do such a thing pretty much anywhere you'd like!

So back to bermudagrass and these ultra dwarf or mini verde grasses that can be some of the finest putting surfaces out there today -- is it even feasible or are there already places where these grasses are used in the fairways and or approaches?

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
We installed TiffGrand in surrounds to our Mini-Verde greens in the ATL. It can be cut quite low and makes for excellent chipping areas. We also use it in roughs that don't get much sunlight. It resists wear even better than 419. We discussed using it as a fw grass at one point. 

I would love to hear from supers that have experience using Tiffgrand in fws.

Bob   

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »
We installed TiffGrand in surrounds to our Mini-Verde greens in the ATL. It can be cut quite low and makes for excellent chipping areas. We also use it in roughs that don't get much sunlight. It resists wear even better than 419. We discussed using it as a fw grass at one point. 

I would love to hear from supers that have experience using Tiffgrand in fws.

Bob   

I BELIEVE that Eric at The Floridian, is the only Supt maintaining Tifgrand fwys...and they're probably the best warm season fairways you will every see. You also have to have the man power and funds to maintain them in such a manor. They have Tifgrand, tees, apps, fairways and roughs. Looks amazing.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
Tony -

Thanks. From what I see of Tifgrand here in ATL, I don't know why it wouldn't make a wonderful fw turf. The discussion at our club is between zoysia and tifgrand.   

I hope Eric will chime in. I would like to know what extra maintenance is required for Tifgrand.

Bob

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
If you want to maintain your fairways and rough at putting green height and topdress and verticut them all the time at enormous cost, Mini Verde would be great for fairways.

Streamsong has 419 fairways and they're great, too. 

The competition to find the most expensive, shortest-height cultivar for approaches and fairways is not going to help make the game more sustainable.  I don't profess to know anything about the specific grasses being discussed, but I'll wager they don't provide a better playing surface unless you spend more money on them ... and if you ever decide to stop spending the money, they are going to get more thatchy than the old grasses, and the playing surface will be worse instead of better.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
If you want to maintain your fairways and rough at putting green height and topdress and verticut them all the time at enormous cost, Mini Verde would be great for fairways.

Streamsong has 419 fairways and they're great, too. 

The competition to find the most expensive, shortest-height cultivar for approaches and fairways is not going to help make the game more sustainable.  I don't profess to know anything about the specific grasses being discussed, but I'll wager they don't provide a better playing surface unless you spend more money on them ... and if you ever decide to stop spending the money, they are going to get more thatchy than the old grasses, and the playing surface will be worse instead of better.

Mini Verde would be a terrible grass for fairways and/or rough. Even if you wanted to put all the money into maintaining them, you still be suspect to shade and cart traffic.
  We had 11 acres of Tifeagle here. Tees, approaches and greens. Bi Weekly verticutting and topdressing, weekly foliars, monthly fungicides, aerify 3-4x a year. Silly to even think a greens grade grass could be used on fairways.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »

Actually, even if it was possible and sustainable, it would still suck.
Not sure who is leading the charge for super tight, super tight fairways, but they are an absolute nightmare for average golfers, and increasingly difficult for top players too.
Executing a delicate wedge or a precisely, crisply struck  bump and run, or checking, or skipping, or releasing chip using imaginative choices  is a wonderful art and one of the joys of the game.
Putting everything everytime or worse yet hybriding ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) because the grass is so short and so hyper predictable---------sux
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 05:01:52 PM »

Not sure who is leading the charge for super tight, super tight fairways, but they are an absolute nightmare for average golfers, and increasingly difficult for top players too.
Executing a delicate wedge or a precisely, crisply struck  bump and run, or checking, or skipping, or releasing chip using imaginative choices  is a wonderful art and one of the joys of the game.
Putting everything everytime or worse yet hybriding ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) because the grass is so short and so hyper predictable---------sux

Our Members politely called it "nervegrass" in the winter months because it would get so tight that any type of chipping lead to Tiger type chips.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »

Our Members politely called it "nervegrass" in the winter months because it would get so tight that any type of chipping lead to Tiger type chips.

Anyone think that's a good thing?
Just because we "can" doesn't mean we should.
Of course the same should be said for green speeds, but I see the chipping issues as far more detrimental to creativity and fun.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BCrosby

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
This conversation has gone a bit off the rails. The issue raised is not whether we should have low cut chipping areas. We've had that conversation before. The issue here is a more interesting one. Might we be on the verge of big changes in fw turf in the SE?

Some green committees at clubs in the SE have been under pressure to improve fw turf since East Lake, the Athletic Club and several other clubs in the SE introduced zoysia fw's several years ago. As you know, on zoysia fw's the ball sits up like it is on a new practice mat.

That doesn't happen, even on very good 419 fw's. So - to keep up with the Jones' - members ask if we should convert to zoysia or something else that offers similarly clean fw lies. The 'something else' often mentioned is Tifgrand.

On the assumption that it will not be forever impossible to improve on 419, the question being asked is whether Tiffgrand might be the next big thing in Bermuda fw turf. Tony N. suggests above that where it has been so used, it requires lots of maintenance. I would love to hear more about that because I am being asked about the downside of replacing 419 with Tifgrand.

To date Tifgrand has been terrific for the limited things we use it for. It has not required high levels of maintenance, it is shade tolerant, wears well, repairs quickly and gives cleaner lies at fw heights at the few places where it is cut at that height. Where we cut it at rough heights (in shaded areas where 419 would not grow), it has also been an excellent turf.  

Does all that change when you scale its usage up to fw acreages? Are there other problems specific to Tifgrand? Unlike mini-verde or champion, for example, it was not developed solely as a turf for greens.

So before we begin hand waiving about sustainability and the perils of shaved chipping areas, I would love to hear answers to those questions.

Bob

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:12:44 PM by BCrosby »

JMEvensky

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »
Does the ball sit up on TifGrand as it does on zoysia? If not,wouldn't that be enough of an argument against for most members-- maintenance practices aside?

We re-grassed with Meyer zoysia about 14 years ago. I prefer 419 but I'm in a small minority. The way the ball sits up on zoysia was the biggest selling point for the membership.

john_stiles

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 08:59:24 PM »
Bob,

I realize that you mention that tifgrand seems to be in the lead.

If Zoysia is coming up on the inside,  one concern with Zoysia might be in regards to the ball bouncing and rolling out.

Would say that I have no knowledge of how low the Zoysia can be cut.   In the few examples I have seen,  419 is better than Zoysia  when it comes to chipping/running the ball onto the green.  Granted the ball really sits up for full fw shots,  Zoysia is a pretty spongy grass.

I am in the minority with JME.

John

BCrosby

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »
JME -

The ball does not sit up quite as well as it does on zoysia, but it sits up better than it does on even very good 419.

I like zoysia. My biggest complaints about it are (1) lies on it are almost too clean; it feels like hitting balls off a mat at a driving range, and (2) once zoysia is installed you are locked into fw widths. Tifgrand should give you more flexibility in fw widths while offering cleaner but less than absolutely perfect lies.

Bob

BCrosby

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »
John -

Your point is a good one about zoysia around greens. It can grab like velcro, even on short chips. JME will have more experience with it, but I find bumping balls through zoysia to be very difficult. Conversely, Tifgrand is a very good surrounds grass.

I have never seen zoysia cut very low. It has always felt very spongy under foot when I have played on it, even after long dry spells.

Bob

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:11:01 PM by BCrosby »

JMEvensky

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
In Memphis,normal fairway height is .4". Most clubs in town mow at that height during the summer. Lower is problematical,but it's a great surface to play (that's an opinion not shared by guys who carry 9 woods).

Most clubs use a Bermuda grass for approaches and surrounds-- TifSport usually. Zoysia is antithetical to any kind of ground game,although I believe some newer strains are better.

Bob Crosby-- you're 100% correct on zoysia making it almost impossible to alter fairway widths. That is a huge problem at my place.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 10:17:55 PM »
John -

Your point is a good one about zoysia around greens. It can grab like velcro, even on short chips. JME will have more experience with it, but I find bumping balls through zoysia to be very difficult. Conversely, Tifgrand is a very good surrounds grass.

I have never seen zoysia cut very low. It has always felt very spongy under foot when I have played on it, even after long dry spells.

Bob

My experience at East Lake validated this comment.  It's nearly as bad as kikuyu!

mike_beene

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
Dallas Country Club has Zoysia starting about 30 yards in front and around the greens. Generally cut tight and firm.I think it is hard to putt through but much easier chipping than tight 419. A good bit of work to keep the 419 out of the Zoysia(or vice versa). Watching people chip on either surface has become painful.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back