News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Kyle Harris

Alex Findlay, Reading Country Club
« on: May 13, 2006, 10:29:17 PM »
Had the wonderful oppurtunity to play Reading Country Club today. The club was recently condemned and purchased by Exeter Township and is now run as a VERY nice muni.

The club was built in 1923 and designed by the Johnny Appleseed of golf: Alex Findlay. At 6100 yards from the tips the course is very short, but is wonderfully quirky and features some VERY demanding greens - especially on the second nine.

I was impressed by the overall layout and especially the opening stretch of 1-3, 5-7 and 11-16. The course really doesn't have any "clunker" holes but has two relatively benign par 3s at 4 and 10. The three shotters are excellent and routed over some interesting topography, and the variance in yardages on the par 4s (from 295 to 420) is very appealing.

Some photos:

Third Green - green shrinkage is apparent but the bunkering and mounding around the green is quite appealing.

Fifth Approach - A great par 5 over the flat part of the property, the creek runs down the left and the green is well defended... best angle from the right. Note the strategic and very old hickories gaurding the approach.

The Seventh Hole - Reminds me of Manufacturers' Golf Club's 5th hole for some reason, this brute of 440 yards is the longest par 4 on the course and features some very neat fairway contouring.

An example of the quirk factor on the ninth hole, a short par 4 across the chasm to a well defended green

My favorite hole on the course is 11, a longish par 4. This is the blind approach with the green at the thin pine tree over the rocks. A superlative approach!

Looking back toward the location of the previous picture from the green:

The 12th hole in the next two pictures, one from the tee and one from the fairway. Bill V - get down 222 with your chainsaw. The greens started becoming more contoured and severe at this point.

The 14th hole is a great three shotter. Note the topo on this shot from 220 out with the green just over the ridge and before the trees in the distance.

The drop shot par 3 15th of 220 yards.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 10:40:04 PM by Kyle Harris »

Kyle Harris

Re:Alex Findlay, Reading Country Club
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »
I was premature in posting - there's pictures now.  :)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 10:55:33 PM »
Kyle,

Sorry to have missed you today.  Great to see you made it to RCC and I'm glad you found Findlay's work there so enjoyable.

FYI...the par three 10th is one of the only holes that is not original.  It was a par four from the practice range tee, doglegging to the right (which accounts for the awkward orientation of the present green).  

The 11th hole I've written about here before, including on the thread about "Alps Holes".  It's a beaut, and I always look forward to playing it.  

How'd you enjoy the wonderful use of the sideslopes on 2 & 3?  14, 15, and 16 are also delightful.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 10:58:47 PM »
Unfortunately my pictures of 2, 3 and 16 weren't up to my standards. Sunlight was a problem at times.

2 is probably my favorite of that lot, and I was kinda hoping for a punchbowl green in that site.

16 is a great short uphill 4. Interestingly, while the course is heinously overtreed in spots, there are also some very strategic hickories, and 16 has one that really compounds the left side - allowing play over and under to that green.

How else was the routing changed? The walk back to 17 tee seemed very out of place and I speculated that it was once a par 4. Makes sense with the 10th being changed to a par 3.

Also seems like Par 70s have better three shotters.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 11:01:50 PM »
Kyle,

I'm not sure about 17 originally being a par four, but your supposition is a pretty good guess.

Did you like 8 and 9?  I think 8 is a really cool use of diagonal slopes on a par three and 9 is another abrupt but daring land usage on a short four.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 11:05:43 PM »
I completely forgot I had the camera on 8, but it's probably my favorite of the par 3s there. 6 is very good too.

The green on 8 has a great ridge running through it that very much would affect the tee shot day to day. The front left seems to require a higher, more precise shot, while the back right will let you feed the shot on to the green from the left with a cut.

Dave Maberry

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 08:30:32 AM »
Kyle,
 Sorry we couldn't connect. :( I did not receive voice mail until 7 PM.
 Nice pictures! It looks like it would be worth a trip. The course appears in nice condition with not alot of play? Casper Golf is managing the facility for the township I believe.
Dave

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 07:59:32 PM »
What a wonderful surprise this course turned out to be.  There's a lot of good architecture here, and the township deserves praise for its purchase.  

Findlay uses the hills very well all across the property, routing holes in different ways.  What is interesting is there are preferred locations to place the tee shot--for example, long and right on 1, on the lower (left) side of the fairway on 2 (to avoid having a grassy mound block views of the green, and long and inside the dogleg on 3.  

The par three holes have balance; each requires a different club; several are elevated, several are lower than the tee.  

The small greens were in very good condition, mostly poa in composition.  Many of the greenside bunkers appear to have grown in

And some of the slopes!  Most of the greens are pitched one way or another and oriented toward the fairway in one direction or another.  This is evident in the pictures of 3 and 12.  
In the case of 12, several small trees block out the large left fairway bunker.  This is the best location to come in from--looking right up the green, and be certain to leave your approach under the hole!  

As could be expected, tree removal and green expansion would improve the course's playability exponentially.  It appears that some trees have been taken down, but there is still a ways to go. There are several clusters of hardwoods across the property that are quite nice in appearance and do not obstruct play.  On the lower holes (#5, 14) a creek is used very well--wrapping around the left side on 5 and across on 14.

Some of the tees could use a little work, as they seemed to point to funny locations, and standing on the back tee of 14, a passing motorist is nearly close enough to touch you.  

All things considered, it's a fun course to play, a great value for the dollar, and I anxiously await getting back there.  

"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:26:54 PM »
Findlay seemed to delight in working with very hilly properties, unapologetically taking the golfer on any rollercoaster ride possible.

What is Findlay's best course? I get the impression that Reading may be one of his better courses, though I have not played it. Hopefully soon, though. Tavistock? Llanerch?
Coatesville? My guess is that his body of work has as high a percentage of NLE's as anyone's.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 08:32:32 PM »
Craig,

Llanerch is definitely a favorite of mine and the recent restoration work seems to be well-received.

I think LCC is more sophisticated in design than Reading, though LCC predates RCC by almost 10 years.

Did Findlay do any work of note outside of the Philly area?

As for Findlay NLEs, I can think of Oak Terrace CC and some butcherings like Twining Valley and Middletown CC>
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 08:33:36 PM by Kyle Harris »

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 08:38:03 PM »
Look for the course to become less congested by trees, they have already takens someout for the purpose of getting the daily fee golfers around the course.  Lets hope they take the right ones out.

The purchase is not final as the owner is disputing the purchase price.  I belive that the townships current offer is <40% of what the developer thinks is the market value.  Interestingly, when the developer approached the township with their plan it required not a single variance.  This one will be in the courts for a long while most likely.

Legal minds out there what is the basis of value, current use or highest and best use.  If it is a golf course then most golf courses are liabilities as far as I know as they don't make any money especially if they have a clubhouse as well.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 08:42:30 PM »
Thanks for the insight. Unfortunate that the course's future is tenuous right now though. I was ready to really give some mad credit to Exeter Township for keeping things in tow.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 08:45:04 PM »
Kyle:

That neat contouring in the 7th fairway is the result of one of the former owners moving/covering a stream about 25 years ago.  It ran right where his drive landed.  They worked on it within the last two seasons so it may also be the work of Jim Nagle (he may have done that project can't remember he was working on a few projects when it was sold to the developer).

Also did you notice that the original tee on 12 was on the other side of the road to the left and above the 11 green site.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 08:46:45 PM »
Craig,

Llanerch is definitely a favorite of mine and the recent restoration work seems to be well-received.

I think LCC is more sophisticated in design than Reading, though LCC predates RCC by almost 10 years.

As for Findlay NLEs, I can think of Oak Terrace CC and some butcherings like Twining Valley and Middletown CC>

There are 2 Findlay NLE's within 2 miles of where I grew up in Paoli, PA: Tredyffrin CC and Valley Forge GC. Cornish and Whitten list 3 others from PA alone as NLE's

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 08:47:28 PM »
Mike, I didn't notice that at all re: 12, but it fits with Doug's speculation that the hole is best approached from the right side. A lot of intimately close tees and greens there, which is very appealing.

Do you know if 17 was originally a par 4 and possibly converted to a Par 5 when the old 10th was changed for the Driving Range?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 08:48:23 PM »
Craig,

There are 2 Findlay NLE's within 2 miles of where I grew up in Paoli, PA: Tredyffrin CC and Valley Forge GC. Cornish and Whitten list 3 others from PA alone as NLE's

Valley Forge isn't NLE! Just No Longer Maintained!

We should Sheep Ranch it one day.  ;D

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 08:53:31 PM »
Do you know if 17 was originally a par 4 and possibly converted to a Par 5 when the old 10th was changed for the Driving Range?

Not sure but I always thought the 17th tee was a great example of an untouched piece of original construction from its looks, but maybe its rough edges are a result of an in house job.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 09:02:56 PM »
Mike,

Interesting thought, a lot of those tees seem very well built, if not well maintained.

17 just seems like such a "blah" Par 5 as compared to the other two on the course especially considering you have to walk down half of the 16th hole to get back to the tee.

Findlay seemed to be too economical in his routing to make a golfer walk so much for such a "so-so" par 5. Just doesn't seem to fit in the context of the sophistication of the other two par 5s on the course, where every shot is challenged into the green.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 09:19:25 PM »
Mike,

Interesting thought, a lot of those tees seem very well built, if not well maintained.

17 just seems like such a "blah" Par 5

I agree not one shot of great interest.  While the second shots on 5 and 14 are critical, but I do find 5 is way too tight, I would clear out the pines on the left bringing the greenside bunker and tree more into play.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 10:09:11 PM »
Mike, I didn't notice that at all re: 12, but it fits with Doug's speculation that the hole is best approached from the right side. A lot of intimately close tees and greens there, which is very appealing.

Kyle-

12, I felt the approach was best from the left side, very close to the fairway bunker.  In that location, the golfer was/is afforded the opportunity to look straightaway up the green.  

The interesting thing I felt was, on some holes the play was inside the dogleg (3), on others, it was to the outside (1, 12, 13, 14 (a little left of center), 16 (right of center).  

So there's a bit of back and forth, employing different strategies.  Certain architects seemed to favor one over the other (flirt with bunkers for best approach angle, or play away from them for best approach angle).  

Mike T-

I didn't feel 5 was too tight--I hit a good drive, right down the center, and placed my second on the left side of the FW.  Hindsight, I could see where center and maybe slightly right-center would work well also, especially if one is a low ball hitter--it helps I hit a high ball to clear those trees.  

I did feel it was tight in the sense of going for it in two--that I wouldn't try, what with the creek around the left side and short and (IIRC) cartpath right.  

I will second that 17 is awkward when walking--do you leave bags halfway up 16 after hitting the approach, or leave up by 16 green and carry driver to 17 tee?  

16 was a fun hole.  Looks a lot steeper from the tee than when in the fairway.  A few different ways to play the hole.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

JNagle

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 09:16:31 AM »
Findlay's work is nearly non-existent.  So much of his work was 9-holers that have been plowed under or were changed into 18-holes.  You should check out the back nine at Lebanon Country Club, Lebanon, PA.  The front nine was built by the members.  

Tavistock may have been his best.  12 of 18 original greens and they are incredible.

Reading is a sporty little course.  I knew the previous owner well, but he never put any money into the course.  A new GM came on-board and the plans were set in motion for a Master Plan, then Mr. Beans sold the property.  I am in constant contact with the Supt.  talking about little things that can be done in-house or just about the future of the course.

Here are some photos of Findlay's work worth checking out.

Tavistock - 1925
http://www.forsedesign.net/Photos/1925-1.tif

Tavistock - 1925 (Current holes 9 and 10)
http://www.forsedesign.net/Photos/1925-2.tif

Tavistock - 1926
http://www.forsedesign.net/Photos/1926-june-25-1.tif

Lebanon C.C. - Hole 15
http://www.forsedesign.net/Photos/Lebanon15-1.jpg

Lebaon C.C. - Hole 15
http://www.forsedesign.net/Photos/Lebanon-15-2.jpg

Lebanon C.C. - Hole 15
http://www.forsedesign.net/Photos/Lebanon-15-3.jpg

Reading C.C. - 1930's
http://www.forsedesign.net/Photos/Reading%20C.C..jpg

The 4th green is in the lower left.  This green was lowered sometime ago and now flooeds regularly.  Look at the great bunkering of the 3rd hole.  Some of the bunkering at Lebanon and Reading will be used for the restoration of Tavistock.  Lake Placid C.C. has 14 holes by Findlay.  There are supposed to be some great mounds and greensites similar to what you see in the Lebanon photos.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:20:23 AM by JNagle »
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 10:20:09 AM »
Jim/All,

Thanks for sharing some great stuff.  I concur with Jim's assessment of Tavistock's greens and bemoan so much of his stuff going NLE (including Valley Forge this year) over time, but there is still some of his work around.

I'd recommend the front nine at Chester River on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Jim.  It's ultra-cool and Adam Messix can tell you about it, as well.

Other lesser known Findlay stuff of various levels of preservation can be found in the region at Cohanzick (NJ), Green Pond (Bethlehem), Galen Hall (PA, but mostly Tilly), John Byrne (Philly - formerly Holmesburg CC), Juniata (Philly), Limekiln (the red nine, and two holes on blue), Llanerch, Coatesville, Manor (near Reading), Pennsauken (NJ), Pitman (NJ) Burlington (NJ), Middletown (formerly Langhorne CC), Rock Manor (DE), and Walnut Lane in Philly, profiled on this site.

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 10:29:55 AM »
 There were three or four very nice holes on Rock Manor (It has been 30+ years since I have been there). It looks from 95 that work is being done. I hope they keep # 13 as is, as I recall it is the uphill par four with a significant falloff to the left.
AKA Mayday

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 06:31:30 PM »
Kyle-

The par 3 15th at Reading bears a resemblance to # 4 at Galen Hall, which I believe also the work of Mr Findlay. Thanks for the pics.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 08:35:30 PM »
Cirba,

I've played Byrne, Walnut Lane and Juniata (today) this season, all in away high school matches. Walnut Lane is the only one I knew was Findlay. It's a shame the courses aren't in any kind of good shape. Today Juniata was embarassing. Numerous holes didn't have flags attached to pins, and one had a PVC pipe has a pin. I know it's in a shaky neighborhood but so are some other good courses. It's sad thinking how great these courses could be.

Nevertheless, they all are very fun to play, especially the short par fours.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back