News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Re:Strantz courses in Williamsburg
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »
AG - Hopefully you may soon see MPCC and Bull's Bay and get an appreciation of what MS could do when more constrained.  He was loud and brash when given the elbow room to express himself, but he could also be subdued, understated and even a minimalist when his elbows were tucked close to his chest.

JC  

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 10:51:03 PM »
AG - I know others here on the panel disagree with this but I do not like True Blue.  I believe that there is a inverse correlation between Strantz course quality and acreage.  ie - Strantz did increasingly better work the less land he was given.  True Blue, Stonehouse and to some extent, RNK are simply excessive.

JC

Jonathon,

I just found this thread and must ask the following questions... I hope you are still interested in this topic:

1) On how much acreage was True Blue built? How does True Blue's acreage compare (or rank) with his other courses?

2) What do you consider "excessive" about True Blue? Please give SPECIFIC examples.

3) How many times have you played True Blue? When was the last time you played it?

Thanks!

Michael Whitaker
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2006, 10:58:30 PM »
AG - Hopefully you may soon see MPCC and Bull's Bay and get an appreciation of what MS could do when more constrained.  He was loud and brash when given the elbow room to express himself, but he could also be subdued, understated and even a minimalist when his elbows were tucked close to his chest.

JC  

Jonathon,

What, specifically, is it about Bulls Bay that makes you feel Mike Strantz was "constrained" there?

Are you implying that Mike's elbows were "tucked close to his chest" at Bulls Bay. If so, what exactly does that mean? What features of the course do you feel represent the fact that Mike's elbows were "tucked?"

Thanks!

Michael Whitaker
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back