News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas_Brown

The Cal Club - Changes?
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:23:24 PM »
I was told about upcoming changes to the The Cal Club outside of San Fran.  How is doing it?  Is it as extensive as it sounds?

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:The Cal Club - Changes?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 04:28:07 PM »
I am curious as well.

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 04:54:01 PM »
Not to start the rumor mill but I had heard that the changes were anything but approved.

All the greens need to be rebuilt but the older membership was not in favor of having the course completely shut down for a long period of time.  And money, of course.

Off the top of my head, I can't seem to remember who the architect was ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:59:49 PM »
Is Kyle Phillips doing something there?  For some reason I have that in the back of my mind.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:12:10 PM »
I know a few years back there was a few holes opened up, and they were documented here on GCA.com

But, that was before Rodger moved to Monticito.

It would be great to hear that they followed through with what was started, and evidenced here years ago.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »
It is Kyle Phillips and I believe work is going to begin this summer.

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 12:33:46 PM »
It is Kyle Phillips and I believe work is going to begin this summer.

Joel -

Do you have a snapshot of the scope of work and will it require a full course shutdown?

Mike

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 12:58:48 PM »
I heard from a member recently that the Club has approved a complete restoration to the original 1925 design of the Cal Club by Kyle.  The driving range will be moved, the course sandcapped and a change of routing to a couple of holes.  I believe the work will start in the fall of 2007.

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 01:05:28 PM »
a pretty darn good course

I hope their work goes well
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 02:24:52 PM »
I heard from a member recently that the Club has approved a complete restoration to the original 1925 design of the Cal Club by Kyle.  The driving range will be moved, the course sandcapped and a change of routing to a couple of holes.  I believe the work will start in the fall of 2007.

A complete restoration but a rerouting of a couple of holes? This complete "restoration" is an impossibility unless the club plans on moving a freeway.

Which holes will be rerouted?

I'm sure Kyle will make Big Money on it. He's good at that. F the history, just use it as the guise.

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 12:13:59 AM »
Tommy -

From Kyle's website: "California Golf Club of San Francisco, San Francisco, California Restoration Master Plan of Original 1925 Course" ... of course, since the Cal Club of SF is not located in SF, then everything in the above statement could be false.

The second hole will be altered causing the relocation of the driving range and a new 8th hole ...

Mike

- Dodgers Suck ... Giants suck worse ...

Brad Klein

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 09:37:56 AM »
Please, the course had already been heavily compromised: the loss of MacKenzie's bunkering to a flashed up version; mid-1960s road expansion that squeezed holes 1-5 and led to an RTj Sr. & Jr. redesign of holes 1-2, 4-5 at that time; the introduction of a driving range between the first and 2nd holes that left both fairways hopelessly salted with golf balls; over 3,500 trees that grew in and cluttered the place; and ponds that transformed wonderful doglegs at 11 & 18 into Florida holes.

Of late, the trees are largely gone, or at least greatly reduced in number. Now with a nematode infestation that requires a reconstruction of greens, the Cal Club membership has decided it's a good time to go back and recapture as much of its lost design heritage as possible. The pond will come out, bunkers rebuilt and recaptured, green surfaces restored, range moved out of the way. A few small compromises are needed to get back the vast bulk of the old Cal Club. A pure restoration was impossible thanks to the road. This is a pretty good alternative that Kyle Phillips has come up with and the membership has now approved it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:29:33 AM by Brad Klein »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 10:38:58 PM »
Redanman, re the aerial:  where's the par 3 across the pond (#3 or #4?)?  Where's the 90 degree dogleg up the hill (#6?)?  What course was I playing?

Mike Benham

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 12:50:39 AM »
I used to be amember there.  It is physically impossible to restore the original Vern Macon Course.

Then perhaps you should take it up with Kyle's webmaster ...

Playing to #3 green from the playground is an interesting play but I assume there must not have been much horse and buggy traffic ... ;)

If I recall the conversation, #6 becomes #5, a new par 3 8th will be built, the pond on 11, 12 and 18 will be removed.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 11:16:12 AM »
Redanman, re the aerial:  where's the par 3 across the pond (#3 or #4?)?  Where's the 90 degree dogleg up the hill (#6?)?  What course was I playing?

Par 3 3rd is by the road directly west (left) of the clubhouse, across the tee of the range.

Unless they have built a new hole, the sixth is at the far west of the aerial, an uphill 340ish par 4 with a real wicked pitched green.

I think I'm remembering #6 as you describe it.  The routing makes a 90 degree turn there but the hole itself is straight up the hill.  That's where my memory failed.  Tough hole, wicked green as you describe it.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 12:24:32 PM »
I spoke with someone yesterday about Cal Club and they are currently going through the permit process with San Mateo County before they can start construction.   They have hired a consultant who previously worked with Peninsula CC to get them through the process.   Construction may not start this year, probably next spring.

As far as the project, the back nine will remain generally the same although all the greens, tees, bunkers will be rebuilt as well as new drainage and irrigation installed.  The emphasis is on the first 5 holes which were moved for Hwy 280 in the 1950's???  The members felt the golf course didn't start until the 6th hole so they want to try and fix that.  I haven't played there in 25 years so I can't really remember.  I may have more later.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back