News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

The passing of Ken Stofer
« on: May 08, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »
Ken Stofer, one of the co-founders of the Tillinghast Association, passed away this past Friday.

Although he rarely posted, he was known by a number of those on-site and will be sorely missed, especially in September when his beloved Lakewood Country Club will host the Tillinghast Association meeting.  

For those interested you can read a bit of his life story and obituary on-line at:
http://www.legacy.com/cleveland/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStor
y&PersonId=17653743

GregRamsay

Re:The passing of Ken Stofer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 09:22:49 PM »
Philip, thankyou for passing on this very sad news.  I only knew Ken through his tireless promotion of the Tillinghast Assoc, which then grew into irregular bursts of communication, from discussing American foreign policy, to his beloved Lakewood layout.  He was very excited to sign me up as the first Tasmanian member of the Tilly association, and i will always appreciate his constant support for Barnbougle Dunes.

I'm sure he touched some other members similarly, and we can all be grateful for his contribution to the archiving of important golf course architecture.

Greg Ramsay

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 10:29:53 PM »
Philip,

Like Greg Ramsey, I want to thank you for passing on the news about Ken Stofer.

While he may not have been that well known on this site, it is hard to imagine how anyone could have been more of a long term supporter of his favorite classic era architect.

Ken was simply amazing in his love of Tillinghast. I remember Tom Doak once told me that the first time he and Ken spoke, Tom thought he was a twenty or thirty something.....not a man well into his eighties.

I'm very sad that Ken didn't live to see the Tillinghast Association meeting at Lakewood Country Club near Cleveland. It is surely something that would have brought tears to Ken both because of his love for Tillinghast and the fact that Ken's Dad was one of the founding members who selected the architect.

FYI, Ken has an interesting collection of Tillie collectables that should surely be preserved, including lots of documentation of Tillie's famous consulting tour.

Tim Weiman

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 10:59:55 PM »
Some have emailed me that they have had a problem with the link to the newspaper account and obituary. Here is the account:

Kenneth L. Stofer    

STOFER KENNETH L. STOFER, beloved husband of Ann (nee Scott); dear father of Nancy S. Brehm; loving grandfather of Courtney Albrecht (Gary), Steven and Miles; brother of the late Gordon (Peg) and Harwood (Mary). A graduate of Olmsted Falls High School and Cornell University, Mr. Stofer was a manufacturer's representative in Ohio, Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia for over 35 years. An avid golfer, Mr. Stofer served as Historian for both Lakewood Country Club and The Forest Country Club (Ft. Myers, FL). Memorial service Tuesday, May 9, 2006 at 2:30 p.m. at Olmsted Falls Community Church, 7853 Main St., Olmsted Falls. FRIENDS WILL BE RECEIVED FROM 6-8 P.M. MONDAY AT JENKINS FUNERAL CHAPEL, 2914 DOVER CENTER RD., WESTLAKE. Memorial contributions may be made to First Church of Christ Scientist, 1460 Wagar Rd., Rocky River; Lakewood Country Club Employee Scholarship Fund, 2613 Bradley Rd., Westlake; Olmsted Falls High School Athletic Scholarship Fund, 26939 Bagley Rd., Olmsted Falls, or a charity of your choice. For more information www. jenkinsfuneralchapel.com
Published in The Plain Dealer from 5/7/2006 - 5/8/2006.  

A personal note, how many will be surprised to learn that Ken played in the NFL after WWII! Evidently he was a member of the original Buffalo team way back when.

We always seem to learn the fascinating things about people only after they pass. He will be missed.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 11:02:40 PM »
It's really sad to get this news, as I was so much looking forward to seeing Ken at the annual Tilly meeting in Sept.  I began an e mail relationship with Ken a couple of years ago and he was so much fun to talk to regarding all things golf.  I was fortunate to finally meet him last fall at Lakewood and it was like being with a life long friend.  He had such a zest for life and enthusiasm that was so infectious. I will miss him.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:35 PM »
The Tilly Association has lost a tremendous ambassador with Ken's passing. He was a voracious emailer - literally many 1000s per year - to keep the membership informed and to chase up missing contact details, and so forth. The Association has a few antipodian members, and we appreciated how he established then maintained a personal interest in his flock. Judging by the vibrancy of his emails, I incorrectly assumed he was in his 30s or 40s.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back