News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

Blown Away by Sebonack
« on: May 07, 2006, 09:43:31 PM »
Thanks to generosity of a fellow GCA.com member I had a chance on Friday to visit Sebonack and ride all 18 (actually 19) of its holes with my host. The golf cart ride and the discussion took about two hours.

I was blown away. But this will not be a hole-by-hole architecture review. I am not qualified to do it, not on this forum (I am just a lowly lover of the game with no professional (or even rater's) credentials whatsoever. This post will be much more touchy-feely - my general impressions of the place.

I got there way too early on Friday morning. I had time to drive by the Sebonack entrance, turn around, and take the Cold Pond Road all the way to the crescent of the Peconic Bay beach, which Sebonack overlooks. I was there alone for some time, looking at the bluffs on which Sebonack sits, until a couple of Shinnecocks showed up. We struck up a conversation, which perhaps should be a topic of a separate post.

It is amazing how different the Sebonack (or the old Sabin Bayberry) property is different from Shinnecock Hills or (presumably) NGLA. It sits hard on the edge of Peconic Bay, high (some 90 feet) over the beach at its highest point, and was originally heavily covered in vegetation. This was a true LI estate, complete with a mansion and a magnificent stone and wrought iron entrance gate (which will be renovated and used by Sebonack). The Sabin mansion was torn down (but the slate from its roof is used on the golf course). I am sure that once upon a time Shinnecock Hills and NGLA were covered by similar vegetation - but it has all been cleared long time ago to create the links. Sebonack cleared a lot of trees (but kept a lot, too) - the lay of the land and the remaining trees remind me of Pine Valley and ANGC rolled into one. All with magnificent views of the Peconic Bay from many holes and situated in the middle of Southampton, NY - not the strip-mall central which is Augusta, Georgia, or a slightly depressed South Jersey town which is Clementon.

Folks, in Sebonack you get instant pedigree, and more. After crossing the historic gate you travel up the hill on a winding entrance road to the plateau on the bluff where members' cottages (more like beach houses clad in the obligatory Southampton cedar shingles) and the clubhouse are being constructed. All with sweeping views of the bay and the golf course.

The view of the golf course from the clubhouse site reminded me of ANGC. That is how wide open the view of the golf course seemed. It adds majesty to the place, and was probably the biggest surprise for me. Clearing all the trees around the Sabin Mansion was an excellent move.

The second surprise were the magnificent water views from SO MANY holes. The place was of course routed with views in mind, and in that sense it succeeds wildly.

The third surprise was how wide and generous (and crumpled!) the fairways were. The thought there was that a wide, "crumpled" fairway will contribute to strategic placement of the ball, with the golfer facing very different shots depending where on the fairway he winds up. The wide, generous fairways also add majesty to the place. No claustrophobic holes at Sebonack!

The cartpaths are sandy (like at PVGC). The sandy, piny land felt a lot like PVGC to me.

There is a dizzying variety to the holes, all marked by the patented Doak shaggy bunkers and most tough as nails (the site is exposed and normally VERY windy). The course will play to 7,300 yards from the tips. I will let more qualified GCA members to do a hole-by-hole when they play the course. To me, most holes were just breathtaking.

All I will say here is that when we got to the 17th hole my host said - Don't look right! (ie at the 18th hole).

When we finally stepped on the 18th tee, I said - "You guys have to be KIDDING me!".  A beautiful 560-yard par 5, running parallel to the beach, framed on the left by the beach and on the right by a 100-year of elm tree from the Sabin mansion and... you aim your tee shot at the huge NGLA flagpole visible right behing the 18th green...

Guys - the new kid has arrived on the block... And in a parallel universe if I received simultaneous invitations to join Shinnecock Hills and Sebonack - it would be Sebonack for me. I have not seen NGLA, so I cannot comment, but you know the answer already... ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 10:32:14 PM by Voytek Wilczak »

Peter Pallotta

Re:Blown Away by Sebonack
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 09:54:47 PM »
Voytek, thanks very much.
That's a nice picture you paint; it was fun reading how much fun you had.
Thanks too to the generous gca.com member
Peter

Chris Kane

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »
Did you enjoy the Nicklaus or the Doak features more?  ;D

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 10:09:35 PM »
Did you enjoy the Nicklaus or the Doak features more?  ;D

Chris - you can only answer this question if:

1. You played the course
2. You are a good golfer

I am (did) neither... ;D

I certainly enjoyed the openness of the place and the tremendous views from many holes - I don't know whether Jack or Tom take credit for these.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 10:10:17 PM by Voytek Wilczak »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 10:28:50 PM »
Chris,

"Did you enjoy the Nicklaus or the Doak features more?"

I know your trying to be funny, but I have been to the course twice during construction, and have some real insite into the site dynamics between the architects. I defy you to go there and tell who did what. You may be able to pick out some decisions, but you may be hugely suprised by work on other holes. This is nothing like the King and the Bear where the whole thing becomes laughable after a while.

Chris Pike

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 08:28:39 AM »
There's no question...Sebonack is the best Doaklaus designed course ever!   ;D
"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

Punchbowl

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 09:24:25 AM »
I think the small greens are going to be an issue.

Brian Noser

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 09:46:17 AM »
Did the views from the course sway your review? If so I would vote to say that this post be labled off topic cause the views have nothing to do with the architecture. ;D
and Tom Doak would never make a golf course with views in mind that was all Jacks doing!! ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 10:28:55 AM »
Voytek, Thanks for the opins for this course will get plenty of discussion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back