News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

My trip to England
« on: May 04, 2006, 01:56:18 PM »
I just returned fro a two week trip to England (with a side trip to Kennemer (a Dutch Colt and Pennick course) and Bull Bay in Wales.  I played twenty different courses and 24 rounds in that time period.  I played some of the greats: Swinley Forest, St. Georges Hill, St. Enodoc, and Westward Ho!.  The main purpose of the trip, however was to play some of the lesser known courses.  I have long maintained that there are excellent courses (5, 6, and 7 on the Doak scale) that just don’t get any publicity.  There are alos courses that defy categorization on any scale because of the land they are on.  Some of the courses had land so demanding that the only way to judge it is to ask, “Did the architect do the best possible routing and use of the land?”  Sean Arble already posted about Beau Desert.  If it had been located in Surrey or Birkshire it would be a top 100 contender.

Mark Rowlinson set up ten courses in and around Cheshire that just knock your socks off.  I will be starting a few threads about these courses in the next week.  One on Fowler’ work, one on Colt, and one on Mac Kenzie.  In the meantime if there are courses in GB&I that are lesser known share them with us.

All told I have played about 170 courses in GB&I and firmly believe that their top 100 could include four or five hundred courses.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Huckaby

Re:My trip to England
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:01:37 PM »
Tommy - great stuff - looking forward to the individual course reports.

I just have to say you gave me a chuckle with:

All told I have played about 170 courses in GB&I and firmly believe that their top 100 could include four or five hundred courses.  

As completely illogical as that is, I know exactly what you mean, and believe you without any doubts.

;D

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:28:53 PM »
Tommy

Looking forward to your Cheshire reports.

Did you get to Whittington Heath?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 09:21:13 PM »
I played Whittington Heath the same  day I played Beau Desert. While Beau Desert was on hillier land.  The bunkering on Whittington Heath I thought was excellent.  I like it a lot.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back