News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Best Finishing Hole
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:52:04 AM »
My good man Mike Hendren has proclaimed #18 NGLA as the world's best finisher.  He confirms this:

Gene,

I said it.
I meant it.
I believe it.

Simply phenomenal.

Mike

This begs for a list.

What are the other contenders for world's best #18?

Here's what I have from courses I have played:

My choice:  Pebble Beach GL – no description needed.

Honorable Mention:  Cabo del Sol, Carnoustie, Muirfield, National Golf Links of America, Olympic Club (Lake), Riviera, Royal Birkdale, Shinnecock Hills, St. Andrews (Old), Troon North (Monument), Wilshire, Yale University GC.

I am likely missing quite a few from courses I've played as that's an old list.  And obviously there have to be many more from courses I haven't played.

Thoughts?

TH

Jordan Wall

Re:Best Finishing Hole
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:53:44 AM »

Honorable Mention:  Cabo del Sol, Carnoustie, Muirfield, National Golf Links of America, Olympic Club (Lake), Riviera, Royal Birkdale, Shinnecock Hills, St. Andrews (Old), Troon North (Monument), Wilshire, Yale University GC.

??
Kapalua
??
 8)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:02:50 PM »
Good call - Kapalua Planatation - definitely belongs - as I say, that was an old list... I've played quite a few more courses since I made that list.

There must be others to add....  I really ought to add Sand Hills - #18 is one hell of a great hole there also...

And do we agree with Mr. Volunteer that the winner is NGLA?

I'm not persuaded yet - sticking with the "homeboy" Pebble.  But I do remain open to conversion.

TH

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:03:19 PM »
I like the 18th at Camargo a lot. There are a lot of other holes there that get talked about much more, but I really like 18. Pasatiempo has the best par 3 finish I think. I really like the 18th at Inverness, I don't think it's too easy, as I made a 6 there. I like the 18th at The Honors a lot. I thought the 18th at Holston Hills was quite a par 5. Canterbury has a great 18th. The King in my book, will always be the 18th at Winged Foot though.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:05:00 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 12:05:22 PM »
My personal top 5 finishers from courses that I've played:

1.  Sand Hills  (a perfect finisher, and always changing with the wind)
2.  Merion
3.  Winged Foot West
4.  Crystal Downs
5.  Garden City  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:05:37 PM »
Glenn - haven't played or seen most of those, but they would all seem to be worthy additions to me.

Of ones I have played, gosh Pasa is a bad ommission.  Great hole, crazy green, unique just for being a par 3.  But mainly... WINGED FOOT WEST - YES!!!!

Fantastic golf hole, very appropriate championship-decider.  Tough tough tough with a fantastic green.

I'm not sure if it's the King, but it's in the royal court anyway.

;D

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:06:36 PM »
Huck: 20 years ago I would have said PB hands down...but with now how far the damn ball goes I'm not so sure ???
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 12:08:22 PM »
I'll go out on a real limb here:  Pine Valley

Others include The Old Course, Royal Dornoch, Muirfield, Aronimink, Oakmont, Huntingdon Valley, Lancaster and Newport.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:15:34 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
Huck: 20 years ago I would have said PB hands down...but with now how far the damn ball goes I'm not so sure ???

Au contraire, mon frer (sp?)....

18PB is a rare hole that has BENEFITED from increase in how far the ball goes... because now reaching in two is a possibility for SO many more people... while still not being an absolute given for the longest of the long.  In fact before it was too easily played cautiously... Now if you do that, you may be throwing away strokes to the field...

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 12:09:20 PM »
I'll go out on a real limb here:  Pine Valley

Wayne - obviously I've never been there.  Would you say it's better than all others mentioned so far?  WF-W, PB, NGLA?  If so, why?

Educate me....

;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »
Tom,

Jimmy caught me as well, I forgot about Merion, I think that looks like a great finish to the best golf course in the country!! I was surprised to see Garden City though, maybe the best golf course that has ever had to endure my act, but I didn't think 18 was too marvelous though. I did like 2 right next to it though.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 12:15:01 PM »

64 million dollars spent... 'nuff said.

;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 12:15:45 PM »
I will also nominate Cherry Hills. That hole has seen it all and I think it is a good one as well.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 12:15:47 PM »
Jimmy's additions are all worthy for sure...any man who thinks so highly of Sand Hills 18 must be wise indeed.   ;D  I'll just take your word and his for the ones I haven't played or seen!  That would be Merion, Crystal Downs, Garden City.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 12:21:50 PM »
Sean - cool - yes a driveable par 4 finish makes for excitement indeed.

This is becoming a very interesting list of nominations... At some point I'll compile them all and then we can see if we can arrive at any one winner, like our esteemed Vol so easily did.

TH

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
Muirfield Village, The Belfry, Valhalla. ;D Seriously, how about Interlachen or Butler National?

John Keenan

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
As I am just back from Hilton Head the 18th at Harbor Town is a great way to end a round.

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

wsmorrison

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 12:29:43 PM »
Tom,

You want me to make a statement and prove it?  Geez  ::)
I don't know if it is better than the holes you mention, certainly the last at NGLA is wonderful.  It is a bit compromised by the distance issues of today but not so much into the wind.  I don't know WFW well enough to compare them equally.  I think they are in the same league.  I wasn't trying to list ones better than yours, just ones that I think would be in any discussion of great finishing holes.

I think ithe last at Pine Valley is a terrific finishing hole.  The new back tee requires a 250 or so yard carry to clear the sandy waste area and tests the golfer with a long iron approach.  No longer are you hitting 7 or 8 irons into the green which you could control, now you may be hitting fairway woods to a large and slopey green with trouble all around.  It is a beautiful hole and the end to quite a day.  Get your butt out here sometime and see for yourself.  No excuses!

wsmorrison

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 12:31:28 PM »
Eric,

What the heck is that?  Some Trumpian offering?  That is nasty looking  :P

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »
Wayne:

Great stuff - and a VERY worthy addition to this list 18 PV must be without a doubt.  I just figure well... I can learn a lot from you on this.  So I'm not pressing, just seeking knowledge.  And you've given me a good taste so far.

;D
As for first-hand knowledge of such things, ahhh... some day... he wistfully sighs....

TH

Eric Franzen

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
Wayne,

Just yanking your chain a bit.

Seriously speaking... I'll guess I'm with Huckaby on this one. Of the courses I played so far Pebble's 18th ends up as number one.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 12:40:20 PM »
The 18th at Quaker Ridge looked like one of the best for the course with the best set of par 4's in the country- I have heard it said.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »

I think ithe last at Pine Valley is a terrific finishing hole.  The new back tee requires a 250 or so yard carry to clear the sandy waste area and tests the golfer with a long iron approach.  No longer are you hitting 7 or 8 irons into the green which you could control, now you may be hitting fairway woods to a large and slopey green with trouble all around.  It is a beautiful hole and the end to quite a day.  excuses!

I'm sure it's a terrific hole, but a 250 yard carry off the tee followed by a fairway wood into a par 4 green doesn't sound like a very enjoyable 18th hole.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 12:49:29 PM »
Oooooh this is like giving a starving man a menu.  I break ranks with alot of folks in that I like a good long driver, fairway metal par-4 to finish.  Last hole should require your best drive of the day and your best approach of the day.

As someone else put it, 18 should be a summation of all that came before.  I'll give a couple of my faves...not all fit my long par-4 fetish, but here goes...Pradera, Sawgrass, Tobacco Road, Bulls Bay, Hiawatha Landing...I'll chew on it for a while and see if I can come up with a fave, but those are some I personally like.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 01:00:45 PM »
How could I forget...

The 18th at Falsterbo in the very south of Sweden. Short par 5 (490 yards) with a narrow entrance to the green. And never count out the winds...

Don't have any photos so I nicked the following from their website:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back