News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Re: Kittansett Club
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
17 is an interesting hole. I hit 4-iron off the tee after being told there was a stream on the other side of the hill. The guy I was playing with hit a hybrid. I was safe, but had 180 to an elevated green hitting off a downhill lie. He was about 10 yards short of the water and had 150 off a flat lie. Definitely paid off to take a chance and get close to the hazard. But on first play, there's no way to gauge how far you want to hit it. A really nice feature on what would otherwise be a good but not great hole.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »
Agreed Dan.  You really need to challenge the hazard off the tee to give youself a reasonable shot into the green on 17.  It's a solid hole and usually straight into the setting sun.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »
Hard to remember when there was last a setting sun in south eastern New England..

RDecker

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »
I recommend flying into Providence, the airport is a piece of cake to get in and out of.  Also Providence has some outstanding dining options if you choose to stay there.  A pretty simple drive out to Buzzard's Bay as I recall and Boston traffic is never fun.

Tim Martin

Re:Kittansett Club
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
Wayne,
I agree there are some great holes but not all of them are standouts.  Even guys as knowledgable on architecture as Doak left the course underwelmed (he called it "in one sense a one-hole course, because the famous par 3 3rd is in a class by itself".  Though he called the other holes solid and with great balance, he didn't think too much of the rest and only gave the course a 6.  I like it more than he does though still only just notch it to a 7.  It would probably not make my personal top 100 list of the great courses I have seen.  On the other hand, Wannamoisett which is not too far away would!  Lawrence, I don't know how good your connections are, but I'd try to see that one while in the area as you will not be disappointed!
Both are great courses.  Have fun!
Mark

Here is some solid advice in trying to see Wannamoisett as well which would be easily doable in the same day. Top it off with dinner in Federal Hill in East Providence for Italian and you got a stone winner. 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back