News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Penal v. strategic - Who coined it?
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:34:41 AM »
I read recently that Max Behr was the first to use the term "penal" in connection with golf architecture. As in "a penal versus a strategic" design.

That would have been sometime in the mid-20's.

I thought references to "penal" courses appeared much earlier than that. It is such a cliche now, I thought it had been around forever. But it doesn't appear in MacKenzie's 1920 book. As best I can tell Colt didn't used the term. So far I can't find it in anything Tillie wrote, but there's lots of Tillie I haven't checked yet.

Was Behr really the first to use it? Was there someone who used it earlier?

Bob

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:43:02 AM by BCrosby »

Gary Daughters

Re:Penal v. strategic - Who coined it?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »

Damn, I thought it was Geoff Shackelford :D
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:26:09 PM »
Great question Bob.  

I'm wondering if a course couldn't be penal until the fairways or playing corridor became narrower with the introduction of rough bringing all the hazards more into play.

I've skimmed through British Golf Links 1897, Hutchinson, Concerning Golf 1905, Low and a selection of essays by Darwin but can find no reference to Penal or Strategic.  Darwin's essay Architectooralooral 1934 seems to be crying out for the word strategy.

So who was the first to use Strategic?

(PS where is Tom MacWood when we need him?)
Let's make GCA grate again!

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:08:20 PM »
Tony -

Maybe it's just me, but Darwin never seems to say quite what he means when he writes about gca. It's as if he's hiding his hand. Maybe he was trying to avoid using cliches like "strategic" and "penal". I don't know. But as insightful as he could be about so many things, his comments about gca often leave me scratching my head.

The term "strategy" goes back pretty far. MacK used it often in his 1920 book. I think Colt used it. Tillie did too early on. I'll bet you could find some early stuff by MacD where he uses it.

It's the first use of the  term "penal" and it use in the distinction between "penal" and "strategic" courses that I am trying to find. It may indeed be that the enigmatic Max Behr was the first to make the distinction. If so, it's another feather in his under-appreciated cap.

Where IS Tom MacW when you need him?

Bob
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 05:01:27 PM by BCrosby »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 06:58:57 PM »
I think Mr. Jones, Sr. was the first to push strategic as a concept. As many know, I debunk the idea as not being specific enough — i.e., "strategic" on its own is nearly meaningless. The question should be: What type of strategy?

Is the shot herioc, detour, lay-up, penal...or, heaven forbid...open? (Note the emphasis on "shot"? — Not "hole". A golf hole is made up of several shot types. To say it is 100% "penal" may only hold true for one type of player.)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 07:54:41 PM »
Bob,
As you could guess I would have no idea who coined it. But I am sure you envy that person so I am assuming that is where you get the "penal envy" syndrome.
I like what Forrest is saying below.  I have always felt there are mixtures of penal/heroic etc on many holes and he has put in words for me.
Would it be a fair assumption to assume that many associate strategic with the "risk/reward" cliche?
And to venture slightly off course...would you think it fair to say that modern golf will more likely be reined in via penal methods than strategic methods?  Just seems to work better for an air game which allows more accuracy etc.
Strategery..that is where its headed.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 12:59:34 AM »
A quick search in the USGA archive reveals:

Strategic use of the workd in 1901, 09 and 11, with in becomming increasingly in sue from the mid 20's on.

Penal.  Unfortunately this finds Penaly, Penalty and Penalised all pertaining to rules infringemnts.

The earliest use of Penal also has strategic inthe same sentence form Golf Illustrated July 1926.  Unfortunately work is calling and skiming through the journal I couldn't see the phrase. Worth checking out.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 01:20:02 AM »
Tony,

You beat me to it...

In the July 1926 issue of Golf Illustrated, in an article titled "Log Rolling" by Joshua Crane, he writes:

"Penal and strategic schools" - "Result of bad shot postponed by bad strategic position." Does any thinking man deny that this may make a good hole? "Strategic schools responsible for many excellent golf courses in Great Britain or U.S." This is a direct literary piracy on Max Behr's classification of golf architects, where the "goats" are put into the "Penal School" and the sheep into the "Strategic School."

It seems as if Max had been defining courses and architects as members of such for quite some time.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 02:45:08 AM »
Explain the bit about goats and sheep and what Behr said again Philip? Maybe Clampett was on to something with that shepherd nonsense he was talking about at Amen corner!

Philip Spogard

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 03:38:30 AM »
Mike Young:

"Would it be a fair assumption to assume that many associate strategic with the "risk/reward" cliche?"

Wouldn't this be the cliché which many associate with Heroic shots/holes? (But of course the two are in many ways connected)

Philip

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 06:52:59 AM »
Tony/Phil -

I had found the same article. He credits Behr with the first use of the "penal v. strategic" distinction. It looks like Behr's use was only a year or so before that Crane article.

My question arose because I couldn't believe it hadn't been around much earlier than that. But it's looking like Behr invented it.

Bob

P.S. Phil - Did Tillie ever talk about "penal" architecture? I can't find where he did.

P.S.S. Mike, as for penal (sic) envy I would remind you that I am not the one that always has to have the biggest headed drivers. Or as Dr. Katz once told me, "Some people need to over-compensate, but let's not name names."  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:06:51 AM by BCrosby »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 08:11:55 AM »
Bob,

Not sure about the phrase strategic, but it was SNL (imitating Prez Bush) that coined the phrase "strategery."

Hope that helps....... ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 04:47:02 PM »
Mr. Jones (actually probably Red Hoffman) was the first to claim use of the "heroic" school as opposed to the penal and strategic.  But I didn't know Max Behr was first to use the other two terms as opposing theories of design.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back