News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Re: Has Jeff Brauer been hangin' at GCA too long?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2002, 02:41:10 PM »
Put me down for the Brauerpalooza as well (how did texsport play it a year before it opened? I hope he didn't leave a bunch of muddy, 5-inch deep footprints everywhere.)

A weekend in early September might work best, but for a trip to America's newest Golf Destination, I'll be flexible.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

texsport

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2002, 03:06:51 PM »
It helps to have connections! My son is the head pro at Giants Ridge.

Texsport

texsport

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2002, 06:08:20 PM »
BY the way, some of the classic designs utilized by Mr. Brauer in his courses at Giants Ridge, there are the following that come immediately to mind:

(1) Redan
(2) modified St. Andrews Valley of Death
(3) Short hole elevated green 3 par
(4) Modified Alps hole
(5) Reverse camber green
(6) modified Pine Valley waste areas
etc.

I think it best to read Mr. Brauer's own account of design concepts clearly pointed out in his dissertation on the design of The Quarry found at Cybergolf.com

Better yet, if he has the time, maybe he could run through his designs at Giants Ridge for us on this site.

Texsport

Dan Kelly

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2002, 09:13:53 PM »
Keffrey --

I wanted to believe Mr. Huckaby when he said that Golf called you "Keffrey Bauer." I wanted to believe it because, for one reason or another, I want to believe that, despite his nickname, The Huckster is one I can trust.

Still, "Keffrey Bauer" is such an ungodly unthinkably bad tyop that I needed to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

I've heard of some bad tyops. Hell, I've published some bad tyops. But "Keffrey Bauer" -- in a national magazine with circulation in the millions! -- has to be one of the most embarrassing ever.

I have seen it now, with my own eyes. I showed it to my wife -- who noted that, interestingly, those whizzes at Golf managed to spell the town of Biwabik correctly!

I then showed the picture to Rose -- covering the course's name and your name (or Golf's approximation thereof) with my hand -- and said: "Which course is this?"

She looked, and she looked, and finally she shouted: "It's that guy's course! That guy's course we saw!"

"What guy?" I said.

"The guy from Texas!"

Bingo. (Neither of us could remember which hole that is.)

I took away my hand. She read: "Keffrey Bauer?"

"It's not Keffrey Bauer," I said. "It's Jeffrey Brauer!"

She then laughed, long and loud -- as happy as I've seen her since she was driving circles around us in that cart.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2002, 09:25:04 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone.  One of the satisfactions of this work is that you can occaisionally create something worthwhile.  I do plan to have them reserve a few extra spots at grand opening next year for "friends of Keff" and hope a few of you can make it.  Dan, Rick, Jeff, RJ and mayber John Conley would seem naturals.

Mike,

I just got in from a trip and I actually eyeballed the cover of the new Golf at the airport, but didn't open it up, figuring our subscriber copy would be waiting at home.  Did they say what hole the picture was?  

To answer your question breifly,  regardless of anything else I may or may not do, I DO spend too much time at GCA!  

You may recall that I was designing the Quarry when I first discoverd GCA.  I asked whether to keep a blind shot on the ninth or blow through the hill.  After discussions with the Owner, we blew a narrow valley through it, but you guys encouraged the blind shot!

Dan,

Until Texsport posted, I was pretty sure you hit the first shot at the Quarry the day we played.  That is your story though, and I think you should stick to it.

The fourth green, affectionately dubbed the "liberty bell" by the locals was inspired by none other than a tour of TEPauls Gulph Mills with fellow archie Jim Blaukovitch.  We noted the squared off green front on three, Jim said he had started doing some, and I promptly sketched a new plan for that green and faxed it up when I got home.  They didn't build the green right away, seeing the straight line, and figuring it was a break line, or match line, and the other half of the plan was coming later! (Okay, that may not match Golden Age stories, but I thought it was pretty funny at the time)

Other influences were the ASGCA trip to Ireland just before design, and my observation that the dramatic spoil piles kind of looked like Ballybunnion and Lahainch.  The 14th (which may be featured in Golf) is inspired by the Dell hole, although this is a par 5.

Too much to write down, but I did put up 14 installments on Cybergolf over the last year covering what I was thinking during design (or what the hell was I thinking, to some).  I will say that the course slope rating came back, and we are tops in the state of Minnesota!  We wanted a bit more difficult course than the first one, and perhaps overshot the mark a bit.

I am working at putting up Quarry pictures on my web site, thanks to Carol Coffey, a Canadian golf photographer. I will let you know when they are up, if you don't mind some shameless self promotion.

If you don't mind further, and more shameless self promotion, I just started a new weekly piece for them, which they will call Brauer on Design.  I don't know if I can explain architectural questions any better than others, but in internet format, I will sure as heck explain them shorter!  (each peice limited to about 500 words)

Tom H.,

Another name I have heard for 3 under par is Albatross, which seems especially appropriate for your friend, since the word has double meaning as something people just won't let you forget!  The few times I have played Canterberry, the management does tend to place the tees well forward, because of all the native areas.

TexSport,

Actually, FB will cost about $2M more than the Quarry, owing to solid granite below, and the need to import topsoil.  It is a quality course, more along the lines of the Legend at Giants Ridge.  Rock ledges, more fairway chipping areas and a par four on the shores of Lake Vermillion will differientiate this course.  

It also has a good Biaritz green (my first, luckily it got built before they hired the superintendent, who kids me about it) and a reachable par 5, only using the alternate, "Turbo Boost" fairway, an ode to TEPaul!  

To be fair, I built a reverse slope fairway to assist driving a par 4 in Texas a few years ago, so I can't say GCA influenced that one as much as my own ideas, and the GD granite ledge.  But, I didn't have a catchy name for the first one!

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

texsport

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2002, 09:48:14 PM »
Jeff

Have you ever played The Bluffs on Thompson's Creek in St.. Francisville, Louisiana? A Palmer course with a split fairway, par 5 9th hole. The second shot on the elevated "safe" fairway has a huge drop off at the end, almost assuring a birdie putt if you hit 2 solid shots from the tee. I say a birdie putt but possibly a long one, since, after the big downhill boost to your second shot, you are faced with a very undulating green that falls away to the lake side and back. Getting it close is tough from the bottom of the fairway. Smarter second shot is to foresake the extra roll and lay back up the hill for a down hill wedge shot of 100 yds or so that has a good chance of stopping.
  The Tiger fairway demands a double carry over a lake of about 535 yds to get home. The green runs down toward the Tiger fairway thereby stopping long shots from that side.
   Great hole which demands either power and guts or brains to play well.

Texsport

texsport

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2002, 09:53:39 PM »
By the way. I was at The Quarry after Dan struck his shot.

Texsport

THuckaby2

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2002, 07:27:30 AM »
Jeffrey:

Thanks for the detailed replies!  The course pictured in Golf Mag does look great indeed.  As for my friend's "achievement" at Canterberry, oh no, he doesn't get the term albatross from me - he and I both know what that means all too well.  I just want a ruling from someone on calling a 476 yard straight downhill hole at Denver altitude a "par 5".  When one can reach with a topped drive and a 5iron, that's no three-shot hole!

And Dan K., what did you think, I was blind?  "Keffrey" kinda stands out.  So did "Tony" Naccarato in SI... which to me was even worse because they called him Tommy several times in the regular story and just lazily didn't match it to the picture caption.

TH

Dan Kelly

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2002, 08:36:28 AM »

And Dan K., what did you think, I was blind?  "Keffrey" kinda stands out.

Kom --

You take me too literally, sir. (Unless I'm taking you too literally, now!)

Ever hear of literary license? (Rhetorical question!)

I was employing my literary license. In other words: I was ... LYING ... for my own writerly purposes ... when I said I doubted the accuracy of your report. I didn't doubt it for a second!

(Or am I lying now?)

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back