News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

Re: US Top 100 v. GB&I Top 100: Your Choice
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2002, 12:06:18 PM »
lots of good points here...my own humble opinion is that I would MUCH rather play 51-100 in GBI than in the US. Many of the second 50 courses in the US are relatively unremarkable, where the courses in the same slots overseas, because of the nature of their design and maintenance, are going to be more FUN to play. Choices of playing the ball high or low and dealing with the elements. The top 50 of either would do just fine for me. It is the next 50 that seals the deal for GBI.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »
I found this to be an interesting thread and quite surprising to read Ran's comments...I wonder if he still feels the same way?  I can fully understand the PoV that in GB&I there will be a lot of weird, but cool courses filling out the 51-100 if I get to choose the courses. That said, I think the US has more of these weird and wonderful courses than folks generally acknowledged all those years ago.  In the end, and as is always the case, it all depends on what one is looking for.  I don't think there is any point in making "best architecture" arguments when what really matters is where does one want to play.  Ths US is full of courses with good, but repetitive architecture that can be seen at tons of Tom, Dick and Harry places.  An absolute boat load of good to very good courses would essentially cancel themselves out...why would folks include the same type and quality of course 25 times? 

Just to give an idea the last few courses on my Happy 100: Castle Course, West Lancs, RAF, Sunny Old & Kingsbarns.  I am confident these 5 would not be embarrassed by the botton five in the US.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:10:09 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
I found this to be an interesting thread and quite surprising to read Ran's comments...I wonder if he still feels the same way?  I can fully understand the PoV that in GB&I there will be a lot of weird, but cool courses filling out the 51-100 if I get to choose the courses. That said, I think the US has more of these weird and wonderful courses than folks generally acknowledged all those years ago.

I agree with you, Sean.  If you just take the standard GOLF DIGEST U.S. top 100 list, there are a lot of interchangeable courses that would not add anything to the overall variety available; but there are a LOT of small and wild courses in the U.S. that could provide variety, such as:

Cape Arundel
Rolling Rock
Eastward Ho!
Harrison Hills
CC of Troy
Merion West
etc.

It would be fun to try and make a list of 100 U.S. courses that encompass the full variety of golf in America.

The weakness of the U.S. side is that even these smaller courses generally rely on "architecture" to make them interesting.  Some of the UK's best are so compelling because they are attributable to no one!  And, there's no way the 100 U.S. courses you choose will be as walking-friendly as the best in GB & I.  No way.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
And, there's no way the 100 U.S. courses you choose will be as walking-friendly as the best in GB & I.  No way.

That and I can't help but feel the risk is much higher of Americans maintaining courses at a level which does the courses no favours...at the very real risk of losing what can be a great rough n' ready appeal.  Concentrate on keeping courses dry as reasonably possible and good things will follow.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back