News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

What exactly is it with the ball that needs to be rolled back?

In Jeff Fortson’s comments on his visit to CPC, he stated that “… With that said we both agreed that the golf ball is TOO good right now.  We were flighting shots that 10 years ago the wind would have hammered on but the wind wasn't touching our ball all day and it was blowing 20mph at minimum.”

The primary comment with the modern ball is that it goes too far, primarily for golfers with high swing speeds (more than 110 mph is the threshold is one figure I have heard repeatedly).  But we have also heard that the ball doesn’t curve as much as before.  Likewise, if the ball really jumps at those high swing speeds, for the most part, increased distance with the irons can’t be attributed to the golf ball (clubhead speed with a mid to short iron doesn’t come close to 110 mph).

So, back to Jeff’s comments, if balls aren’t effected by the wind as much as before, then what exactly is it with the ball that needs to be rolled back?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Pete Lavallee

Re:What exactly is it with the ball that needs to be rolled back?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 05:04:05 PM »
Spin.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:27:44 PM »
The ball used to spin proportional to the angle of the clubhead, loft, open face, close face. That relationship of spin to angle was linear. The new balls have destroyed that linear relationship. The linear relationship needs to be returned.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

peter_p

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:35:36 PM »
Lets go to the great arbiter of golf balls. Consumer Reports.
Yes, their May issue examines golf balls. It has an interesting factoid on distance: Dimples (also) contribute about 40 percent of a ball's distance (its spin provides the rest).
I'm assuming CR assumes equal clubhead speed.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 10:45:38 PM »
Lets go to the great arbiter of golf balls. Consumer Reports.
Yes, their May issue examines golf balls. It has an interesting factoid on distance: Dimples (also) contribute about 40 percent of a ball's distance (its spin provides the rest).
I'm assuming CR assumes equal clubhead speed.

Actually, they tested at both 90 mph and 110 mph.  All in all, it is a decent review of golf balls.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back