News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

The real deal in natural looking bunkering
« on: November 09, 2002, 01:37:22 PM »
Wayne Morrison and I just took a tour of Hanse's French Creek with Eric Pevito and we stopped in briefly across the street to see a section of Stonewall2!

The bunkering on both these courses (neither to be opened until probably late next year) is as good as I've ever seen. Different style bunkering but some of the best placements, the best rugged (three dimensional) lines all around and the best grassing and grass lines (French Creek only because it's done now with the "chunking" method mostly)!

At least three companies now that I'm aware of are all doing the best bunkering imaginable. I hear Mike De Vries has done some really natural bunkering in Michigan but these three companies are so far out in front now for really great looking bunkering, in my opinion, it's unbelievable!

It's wonderful to see this kind of thing! If anyone's in the area and wants to see the real deal in natural rugged looking bunkering both architecturally and grassing take a look at French Creek and Stonewall2--you'll be amazed!

The greens on both are really great too and Eric pointed something out about French Creek which I hadn't really noticed--that is that French Creek has remarkably little greenside bunkering!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

TEPaul

Re: The real deal in natural looking bunkering
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 01:44:54 PM »
We also mentioned to Eric that the members and prospective members of these courses are probably going to need to have a little bit above the normal level of sophistication in architecture!

He agrees.

Both courses are definitely not the same old same old!

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2002, 03:32:36 PM »
Tom,

That was interesting walk today.  I appreciate you and Wayne coming out; it would be nice to see and meet more from Golf Club Atlas.  

With regard to the level of architectural sophistication in the members, I can only speak to French Creek, I've seen little of Stonewall2.  It is a concern, and I'm a little wary of the pretense, but part of me thinks that once people start hitting golf balls around here, that kind of thing will take care of itself.  

The 80 or so members we've signed in the first 6 months have been very receptive!  :)

Again, glad you came out.  I'm very proud and excited about the work Gil and the guys have done.
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2002, 03:53:52 PM »
Eric:

I didn't mention a bit higher level of sophistication in architecture to make you apprehensive--hope I didn't!

I think that's a wonderful thing and I'm sure most any member will too. I can't see why any wouldn't get to feel that way about such natural and interesting architecture. And you're so right about the scale of it all!

I'm sure we all realize a few members might get a bit of a wakeup call if they happen to play the wrong teeboxes for them on a couple of drives but any golfer has to come to grips with his or her limitations face to face at some point and just as long as there's something that's right for everyone tee-wise--shouldn't be a problem at all.

But I'm sure everyone will fall in love with the overall look and  play!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2002, 04:01:39 PM »
TEPaul,

What is the terrain like at each golf course ?

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2002, 04:09:53 PM »
Pat:

We'll see how Tom Doak, Eric and others define the overall terrain in that area but I'd call it rolling! Not gently rolling either just rolling. But who knows, someone from Florida might call it something more than rolling but I'm from the area.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2002, 04:10:20 PM »
;) Out of curiosity, where are French Creek and Stonewall2 located?
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2002, 04:27:19 PM »
In Elverson Pennsylvania, about forty miles west of Philadelphia.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2002, 06:03:24 AM »
It's my impression that even the less sophisticated can and will appreciate the rugged style. It's an etherial thing that one doesn't even know is happening in the back of ones mind. Wild Horse is proving that if you build it they will come and most importantly they will come back.

Good luck with your project. Are you the principle, Eric?

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2002, 07:29:51 AM »
Eric/TE-

I remember hearing that either #16 or #17 pushes the envelope a bit. Can anyone offer up a description. I've haven't seen French Creek for a while, but at last look, it
was evident that there is some pretty cool work being done there.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2002, 09:09:10 AM »
Adam,

I'm not the principal but the golf professional/manager.  Wish it were so, maybe someday.  :)  

Just read the interview with Joe Gay in the October Feature Interview.  Very good, I can relate in that I too am here to spread the word and keep people happy.  I think we will have very similar experiences with regard to crowd reaction to the architecture.  There are some very interesting things going on out here.

With that segue, I'll try to answer Craig's question about the seventeenth.  It's slightly uphill about 235-240 from the back tees, 185-210 from the middle and plays over a double row of cross bunkers/waste area set at about 100 yards from the green.  Imagine the old Maiden at Royal St. Georges just with smaller "dunes" on each end and the sleepers stretched out a little.  

There is a 100 yard long split-level, runup fairway, higher on the left than right and a smallish crowned green that's largely hidden from the tee except for a small false front that droops down into the lower right fairway.  There is chipping area to the left and behind the green that really acts as green space.

Along the right side, the length of the hole is a severe cut, Bill Kittleman called it an abruptment, that has some stacked sod bunkering and odd nooks and crannies.  

I'll try and post a picture.  I haven't yet gotten one that really does any justice to the hole.  We have some on the website http://www.frenchcreekgolf.com.  Because the site is all in Flash, I'm not sure if I can use the same code to post here.  I'll try and send the photos to someone so we can get them posted.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:11 PM by -1 »

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2002, 09:17:27 AM »
I forgot to answer Pat's question.  I would call the site rolling to severe in places.  I think roughly 120-150 feet of elevation change.  It's pretty dramatic with some long sweeping views to please the crowd.  ;)

Gil has done, in my opinion, a very good job of using the natural features (what else did you expect).  There were quite a few holes that were largely just "there."  Others they had to build and work in the land.  

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2002, 10:46:37 AM »
As far as golfers, members, anyone playing really being accepting of certain architectural features or a certain "look" on a golf course it was Max Behr's feeling that generally speaking golfers would be more inclined to be accepting of things they perceived to be nature or natural looking enough to make them feel they were nature or that they were playing in nature.

He stressed that by explaining the most golfers would at least subliminally reject architecture that was patently created by man (in it's look and play) to test them. In other words, golfers generally will be more accepting of nature than they will the clearly manmade particularly if they have problems with it in the playing of the game.

We were talking about that yesterday at French Creek and it'll be interesting to see longterm if there's anything in that Behr thought with French Creek's architecture!

He certainly used this analogy in describing the links golfers (original golfers) of Europe and how accepting they were of nature (probably because there wasn't much they were ever able to do about it anyway and man-made architecture in a larger sense was not something they were very familiar with anyway).

But it will be interesting to see if this thought of Behr's may in some way have an affect at a course like French Creek because the bunkering and general architecture really does look natural in many of its general "lines" and such.

With bunkering, Hanse & Co. does much more of something than any architect I've seen with possible the exception of Doak at Pacific Dunes, and that's what I would call Tieing in bunkering on holes and in other areas of the site that I wouldn't necessarily describe as functional or strategic. Some might call it eye candy but I wouldn't call it that at all particularly since some of it can be extremely small and insignificant or not even visible at first and in the oddest and most out of the way places occasionally!

I think this is a very interesting thing to do particularly if you can see across a golf course as you can in many places at French Creek and Applebrook. This look makes one think that bunkering is wholly random and natural and may be part of the original site (as it would be looking across the breadth of a natural linksland landscape). It's a deception for sure but a most interesting one and is in no way "eye candy" which in my mind is more specific to individualized holes and what visual effect it can create on individualized holes. I think that kind of thing is unnecessary and probably is "eye candy" when it really does appear distinct and segmented from the overall landscape!

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2002, 07:20:32 AM »
Behr's ideas on "hiding man's hand" are very interesting.  And Tom you're right, it will be fun to see how people react to what are some very natural and rugged looking hazards throughout the course.  

Whether it was consciously done or not (I tend to believe it was), I think the 17th hole turns this idea on its ear.  The hole has a very high annoyance factor.  There is nothing natural about that right abruptment and the stacked sod bunkering within it.  The cross bunkers are very linear.

In general, the strategy of the hole fights the lay of the land (as opposed to say a redan that uses the land to work the ball toward the hole)  I haven't hit a shot there yet, but it is very difficult to get a comfortable feel standing on the tee.  

It is disorienting and awkward; I like the fact the hole doesn't make you feel too warm and fuzzy.  Wouldn't want to see 18 holes of it, but I think it's a great concept and I'm anxious to see how the hole plays and is accepted by the members.

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2002, 09:38:25 AM »
Eric:

What you say and what you apparently feel about the "look" and "feel" of #17 particularly how it seems to be unnatural looking to you is really interesting and if developed as a separate thread I'm certain would create numerous divergent and differing opinions about what IS natural looking architecture vs manmade looking architecture and what that could or does mean and also what it means to any golfer playing the hole!

I know exactly what you mean to say with your feeling about that hole when you describe it as not natural looking and creating discomfort or even confusion with a golfer, but see I feel completely different about what those feelings and that look means in golf and architecture.

I'm sure the hole would make me feel uncomfortable too insofar as understanding what needs to be done strategically or hitting successful shots on it but that's not really an issue with me about natural holes vs manmade ones!

My point is there were obviously all kinds of natural golf formations from the beginnings of golf that could make any golfer, even those totally accepting of completely natural aspects of the land uncomfortable as hell in being successful at playing them or even understanding how!

And I suppose it's time to consider that, when we talk about things like nature and natural aspects in golf architecture and what all we mean or can mean by that.

It may be time now to include in what's described sometimes as "natural aspects" of sites to not only include those formations and things that nature actually made but also some of those interesting things that may have been made by man but made and done long before the thought of golf was considered for them.

Because there are so many features that came well before particular courses that man may have made with no thought to a golf use.

The list is long--quarries, stonewalls, buildings, railroad tracks, roads, even things like cemeteries and mining operations!

All these things have been successfully incorporated into interesting golf architecture and can make a golfer feel that it was not something that was specifically created by the architect for some effect because in almost all cases it wasn't orginally created for that!

Those things which came before the course just happened to be incorporated into design as Mackenzie may have incorporated the difficult natural land formation of Cypress's #16 into that hole!

In this way the barn at French Creek that's been incorporated into hole #10 may be of no real difference than Bill Kittleman's "abruptment".

The thing that makes them different to me for golf and architecture is they appear to me to be things that were done with nothing specifically to do with the hole's architecture or play.

The "abruptment" at least seems to make no actually golf sense to anyone (except maybe Bill Kittleman). It also appears to me to be completely random with nooks and crannies that have no meaning to golf or the hole. Maybe even no meaning at any time.

This kind of thing works better for me in a natural context than things like water hazards with fountains in them or waterfalls that were clearly CREATED by the architect for some soothing effect or fairways lined with clearly manmade hazards that create a one dimensional "road mapping" or even "freeway" effect (as C&W described). In other words, the latter seem to tell the golfer "don't think, just hit it here, and then hit the next one here, and on and on, all clear as the noon day!

Bill Kittleman, as we menitoned the other day, is clearly into coming up with things that may make any golfer uncomfortable and in need then to trust himself and his ability to execute because of those discomforting things and even lack of meaning.

More power to him--he's certainly pushing the envelop that way but the fact he created something even his own partners can't figure out is all the better to me.

And the "abruptment" doesn't look man-made to me exactly, at least not for golf! God knows what it looks like it may have once been or been for but who cares--it sure doesn't look to me like it had much to do with a golf course and its architecture--and that's part of the reason I like it.

I know a lot of people will say I'm rationalizing these things to act the apologist for Bill Kittleman but I promise I'm not!

Matter of fact, I will predict right now that the thing he'll be questioned about and criticized for most on that hole, if anything, will be for completely misaligning those tees particularly the back one (it must be aligned 45 degrees to the right of the hole)!

But I even like that--again he's pushing the envelop on what's expected architectural practices today.

If anyone appears to care least about conforming to modern formulaics in architecture today it has to be Bill Kittleman.

And again, I love the differences in architecture--the deal is in the difference, particularly if something random and odd is done and no one knows what the hell it means!

Tim Weiman

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2002, 10:08:20 AM »
Tom Paul:

I recently toured Stonewall 2 and, to be honest, it was not the bunkering which stood out for me. Other things grabbed my attention.

First, Stonewall 2 has what I call the "mood change" thing. There are three distinct areas of the course: holes 1-8 up on the hill, holes 9, 10 & 18 near the clubhouse and 11-17 across the street next to he original course.

Second, the holes I mentioned around the clubhouse provide a feeling of "intimacy" lacking on many modern designs. I can easily imagine members playing a quick three holes 9, 10 & 18, something I always felt was a desirable feature for a private course.

Third, I felt the greens actually presented more interest than the bunkers. Many seemed to present the option of setting up the hole very differently day-to-day. That's welcome in an era when relatively flat, fast greens undermine long term interest in a golf course.

Fourth, I felt Stonewall 2 presented more depth perception challenges than perhaps any course I've seen. I realize that doesn't impact really good players that much, but with my 7-8 handicap I enjoy that extra bit of challenge.

I will need to go back to more closely check out the bunkering. It got my attention on #14, but even there I became more attracted to the idea of playing a cut off the hill to the left of the green. It's one of those shots you would love to pull off exactly as planned.

Before seeing the second course, Stonewall was one of my favorite places in golf. Now, that becomes even more true. It just seems like a great place to be a member: understated, low key, totally focused on golf with many holes that would be quite enjoyable to play over and over again.

As for French Creek, all I saw was the hole across the street from the entrance to Stonewall. It struck me as an awfully "big" golf hole.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2002, 10:12:02 AM »
You know Mr. Kittleman would probably be angry or lost as to why we're talking about him.  

As I said before, I too like the lack of "roadmapping" and the awkwardness of the hole.  I also think the lack of formula is refreshing.  The hole is extremely playable (maybe not if you want a 3  ;) ) and rife with options.  It just doesn't present itself from the tee.    

You and I know the use of man-made obstacles is nothing new.  I just wondered how it jibes with Behr's theory.

You struck upon the psychological impact of something like the abruptment and those wacky cross bunkers.  The heroic element is heightened. Ultimately, I think that is why golfers will enjoy the hole.  Those that don't probably need a sense of humor.    

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2002, 10:37:28 AM »
Tim Weiman:

I didn't mean to say that the bunkering was the only good thing about Stonewall2. Certainly those greens are very interesting and the holes seem unusually strategic maybe even in very unsubtle ways.

I've been out to the site a bunch of times but the fact is I've never been anywhere other than on that 11-17 section of it, so you know much more about the rest of the course than I do.

Eric:

As to what Behr would think of the actual natural look of golf architecture and its features he probably said a lot less about than most of us might think!

Behr talked more about the beauty and overall unfettered enjoyment of golf in nature or what appeared to be nature but more in the sense that golf was a sport and therefore an activity needing maximum "freedom of expression" on the part of the golfer.

He believed the restrictions man tended to put of golf (and nature), its architecture and golfers was more in the sense of the limiting things such as boundaries (from which a ball necessarily had to be taken out of play) and regarding architecture's limiting and restricting elements like rough and rough lines that indicated to golfers where to go. He believed golfers should have great latitude in where to go, hence his theories on "lines of charm" for which large amounts of width was probably inherently necessary!

But in the actual "look" of architectural features he was a realist it seems particularly in a couple of areas. Certainly he would have preferred that architectural features (man-made) could mimic nature as much as possible but he was also the one who said a few necessary golf features (ie--tees, fairway, greens, and certainly bunkering in some parts of the world) could never really mimic nature completely but that was OK since they were necessary features of the sport of golf (although never able to really mimic nature)!

Tim Weiman

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2002, 10:50:19 AM »
Tom Paul:

No worries. I was somewhat hesitant to comment because I didn't want to take the thread in another direction than what you intended. I did enjoy the bunkers very much. They just got overshadowed by the other things I mentioned.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2002, 11:54:07 AM »
Tim,

So you're saying the hole scared you?  ;D :o

TEPaul

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2002, 12:11:29 PM »
Eric:

I'm sorry to hear Bill Kittleman would probably be angry or lost that we're talking about him.

There's nothing I can do about that though, as these things just happen with notoriety and fame.

It hadn't occured to me until now but I very much like the fact that "Abruptment" can cause severe confusion and discomfort in golfers and that it's place in the routing is in the ideal positon to get in golfers' minds early in the round!

I think this idea of a "fear factor" such as #17 TPC, #16 Cypress or the last few holes at Merion and having them get into players' heads long before they get there has been way overdone now.

I much prefer the idea of a high "confusion factor" in expectation of arriving at the "abruptment" getting in the player's mind early!

Fear is one thing but confusion could be far more effective! Bill is indeed a potential trendsetter!

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2002, 12:26:03 PM »
Not sure about angry, I may have mispoken, but wouldn't you agree he would wonder what all the fuss is about.

As for the rest, I'm not following.  I'm very confused.

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2002, 12:30:48 PM »
Go to work from now on with renewed determination and clarity of thought to conteract the "confusion aura" from #17! It's awfully close to your office, you know!

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2002, 12:38:35 PM »
I realize that the course hasn't opened for play but when it does if you find a golfer on his hands and knees facing the wall in the "Abruptment's" basment (or is it the garage?) either giggling uncontrollably or in a severe state of stupefaction that would be the time to call Bill and get him to come out for a serious tweak of #17 or maybe even an outright redesign! That sort of thing would be proof enough that this time Bill has gone too far!

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2002, 12:51:22 PM »
Uncontrollable laughter  ;D

I'm thinking that the "walkout basement" (we have to be the only course with one of those) could become a grotto of sorts.  We could be the mecca of confusion.

Paging Dr. Katz!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back