News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

For those of you who keep track of the current lists, how many of the top Golf Digest or Golf Magazine 100 have you played?

Have any of you played all 100?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ed_getka

I haven't and I never will, because there are at least 30 courses I found on the last list I looked at that I don't care to play. AND there are MANY courses that aren't on the lists, that I DO want to play.
   I would imagine there aren't too many, if any, from this site that have played all 100 of any list because there are courses on there that simply aren't worthy of one's time. IMHO. :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 04:35:12 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom_Doak

Cary:

The last time I counted, I think I had seen 97 of the GOLF Magazine top 100 in the world -- everything except El Saler, Valderrama and San Lorenzo in Portugal, which may not be in anymore.  But they put that course in Korea on the list so I'm not gaining ground.

I've probably only played 85 or 90 of them, but Oakmont is the only one in the top 50 I haven't played, even though I've been there 3-4 times.

It would be easy to "finish the list" but I really don't give a damn about that, and it bothers me some that there are so many people who set it as a goal.  I've met guys who fly halfway around the world to play one course and skip a great one right next door to it because it's "not on the list".  And then they complain five years later when the course they skipped is added to the list!

john_stiles

They complain,  now that's funny  :)

I agree with Ed that there are some that do not arouse my interest, like the Korean course,   for such long travels.

ed_getka

For me its not so much where the course is, but I make my choices based on what I know about the course or what the guys on this site recommend. I have not seen one bad course since I have come to this site based on the recommendations I get here.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

John Kirk

I've played about 12 or 13 of them.

Ash Towe

Cary,
15 so far.  All but one of them in England, Scotland, Australia and New Zealand.
There are others I have played that could easily be on the lists but are not.  For example, they are in a remote location or do not have the amenities to hold a major championship.

michael j fay

Somewhere around 60 on the Golf List. More on the Golf Digest List.

Jeff_Brauer

I am like Mr. Doak, having toured or played 67 of the GD top 100 in the US, and a few less of the international lists.  I haven't done the who's in and who's out list lately......

BTW, I think the least likely of the courses for me to play will be Royal Durban in South Africa.  And, if it was no. 100, I doubt I would make a side trip to see it.

I also agree that courses don't need to be top 100 to see. I would go out of my way to play a Strantz, Raynor and a Colt and Allison, among others, as well as one course of almost any architect.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

fred ruttenberg

76 of the top 100 in the world.

Andrew Thomson

Perhaps 10-15 but I haven't seen the list for a while and I'm missing Kingston Heath and Barnbougle which are on my doorstep!

Craig_Rokke

About 10 or 15
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:28:14 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Wayne Freeman

Golf Mag U.S. list--   72
   Golf Mag world list--  50
   Golf Digest list -----  61

Tom Huckaby

I'm the anti-Ed.  Given limitless time and funds, I can't imagine a course that makes any list that I wouldn't want to play.  Of course neither time nor funds are limitless, so one prioritizes and plays what he can.  But I can't imagine having standards so high that I wouldn't want to play any of these courses.

Ed and I banter over this all the time.  And no offense but the day I base my course choices on what people in here say, well... that's the day I've gone overboard in the GCA addiction. ;)

To answer Cary's question though, I have no idea - haven't checked in a long time, don't care to now.  I just wanted to tweak Ed again.  He plays way better courses than me, I play way more golf than he does.  We're both happy.

TH
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 10:28:32 AM by Tom Huckaby »

RT

Can someone identify on that list the S. Korean course TomD makes mention of above in post 3?

tlavin

About twenty.

Jay Flemma

Far too many that were overpriced and underdesigned.

Ian Andrew

Lists are funny things. The top of my list is Myopia Hunt, Essex County and Fishers Island. I think only one of those makes it on Golf's list - but I feel I can learn more from those 3 than others on the list.

That said, the list was instrumental in giving me a start on what to look for - so I can't deny it's value.

Brad Tufts

I think my tally was in the teens at last glance.  I think it's fun to see where the courses you have played end up on the lists, and to see how many you have been to, but it will never be motivation for me to go see a course.  There is quite a bit to be learned from courses not on the list, and I know going in that that some of the top 100 I wouldn't even like....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tom Huckaby

JK's post taking things to the lowest common denominator notwithstanding... do you guys really play this game just to learn?

Does anyone besides me play the game to have fun?

Sure, I can learn more at a well-crafted muni than I can at Shadow Creek. But that doesn't mean I want to play all my golf at well-crafted munis.

;)

cary lichtenstein

John:

You are very funny ;D

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Huckaby

Huck,

Did you ever take a dump at Shadow Creek..I've never been there but it must be nice.  Do they have a bathroom attendant holding a fresh towel for you at the sink with complimentary gum...personally I hate that but a guy has to make a living.

Sadly that part I don't remember.  I was there for about 6 hours though - warmup, golf, lunch - so odds are I must have.  But these types of things don't exactly stick in my memory.

;)

Jeff_Brauer

I have taken a dump at every top 100 course I have ever played (pre-game ritual) and I would have to say Olympia Fields was the most inviting with their open ceilings and great use of space....Every course at Bandon was pitiful with Pacific Dunes being the worst of the three...The john can't be 20 ft from the check in counter..

Apologies to Cary in advance, but John, tell me, how did you find Pinehurst No. 2?

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mark Leo

I really love reading the replies to this question!  Anyone on this site who responds with an answer that they really don't care about what the lists say is being unrealistic and partly hypocritical.  We all care about those lists ( love em or hate em), and there is a certain sense of excitement for anyone playing any of these courses.  You can't tell me that all the critics on this forum of ANGC  or any of the other "ranked" courses wouldn't jump at the opportunity to play it rather than their "favorite" local course. The lists are what they are, and I think anyone, myself included, who embarks to try to play as many as possible is richly rewarded on many fronts.  I mean, let's get real, how many threads on this forum revolve around rankings in some form or another.  Pick a list, yours or someone else's and go play!

Jay Flemma

I hear at shadow creek they have a "pristine marble convenience complete with a flunkie handing you 3 ply sqares of raw silk toilet paper."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back