News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Pete Stankevich

Played Yale today 3/31
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:53:10 PM »
Yale in March-gotta love it.  65 degrees and 20mph winds makes for a great day.  The course is dry and dusty and the greens are aerified and topdressed, but that only adds to the fun.  ;)
I know it's been spoken of before here, but the tree removal is amazing.  It's going to help a lot with conditioning, bringing the course back to play the way it was intended, and it really showcases the rugged terrain that helps make the course as great as it is.
Most of the removal I saw is on the back nine, most notably between #10 and #18.  There's a lot behind the 11th green and around #12 tee and fairway as well.  The tee shot on 18 has opened up quite a bit and the landing area for the second shot isn't necessarily wider, but with most of the trees gone, it definitely feels wider.  
The most noticeable tree clearing on the front nine I saw was along the cart path behind the 9th green all the way to the main road.  I didn't get to ask anyone about that.  Does anyone know what's going on back there?  

Scott Ramsay

Re:Played Yale today 3/31
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »
It has been a dry march. Greens were aerated,gradened and deep tined late in November 05. Then topdressed throughout the winter. A little rain would help.
The back nine was the focus of the tree work this year to balance all the work on the front nine last year.Cleanup,seeding and recontouring of the fairways is ongoing. It is truly an amazing place.
The only work on the front was behind 9 and it was performed only for safety, the first tenet for this tree program. There were many dead or leaning trees,widow makers and other hazardous trees along the path and a small overflow parking area. It was too wet and it simply didn't freeze hard enough to get the logging equipment in any other places,this year.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 05:00:11 PM »
Pete,
   Glad to hear the great work there is progressing. I really look forward to my next round there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 05:17:03 PM »
Scott Ramsey,

I"m looking forward to playing Yale again this summer, it's always a treat.

On another thread I mentioned the addition of a simple feature that would enhance the play of the hole.

That idiot-savant, TEPaul,  brought up the 18th green at PV and Wayne Morrison, was kind enough to post a picture of the mound in the 18th green.

Has there ever been any thought to restoring the mound that was in the middle of the 2nd green at Yale ?

Wouldn't that make the relatively short 2nd hole take a quantum leap, architecturally and from the standpoint of playability ?

What are your thoughts on this ?

And, what maintainance issues would you be concerned with ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back