News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Agman

Banning shorts
« on: March 30, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »
What are some of the courses that continue to enforce dress codes banning shorts? And what's the rationale?

js

wsmorrison

Re:Banning shorts
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
Hey, man.  What's happening.  I'll call you shortly.  I think Baltusrol bans men wearing shorts.  Its probably because those chicken-leg north Jersey knuckleheads look silly in shorts  ;)

Jason Mandel

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:19:27 AM »
i think caves valley requires pants at all time.

i seem to remember something about saucon valley also, but i could be wrong.

i guess their rational has to do something with tradition, etiquette, etc.

but frankly, i think the rule sucks.  why should anyone have to be subjected to wearing long pants in those hot summer days.

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 10:22:10 AM »
Jason,

Caves Valley no longer has that rule.  I believe it was changed last year.  I played in the Chesapeake Cup there last August, and shorts were allowed.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:26:35 AM »
I seem to remember that LACC requires women to wear skirts and not shorts and may require men to wear long pants. I'm not sure if this is current.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »
I don't mind trousers in hot weather.  I certainly don't feel cooler wearing shorts--not in hot humid PA.  But I do look cooler wearing 'em  8)

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »
Augusta National

PS....Tan Jersey Shoreline legs best scaly Philly "shoreless" skin anytime, anywhere. :)

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JESII

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 10:38:03 AM »
Winged Foot.

John Keenan

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 10:48:37 AM »
I believe Claremont CC in Oakland CA does not allow shorts. Then again given the climate may be a moot point   ;D
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 10:48:37 AM »
Agman,

Is that your real name (or as Bernard Darwin once remarked about a Members garish necktie) your own unfortunate choice?  ;)

This has been debated ad nauseum in quite a number of posts.The consensus was that it's a silly imposition placed on Club Members by dyspeptic old men who have a sense of decorum....and hate seeing other golfers varicose veins.

Bob

Stan Dodd

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 10:59:35 AM »
MPCC and CPC require long pants.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 11:02:06 AM »
I played 36 at Saucon Valley Old and Weyhill back in 02 in the middle of July, walking, and wearing pants as i was told I had to.  We started early, but it was well over 90 (with very high humidity) for most of the day.  My two friends and I counted that we each drank 18 bottles of water or gatorade, and one of them still felt sick and had to lie down after we finished.  Luckily the club's pool is about 20 yards from the 18th green at the Old course, as we were in it 90 seconds after putting out.

The no shorts rule is pointless, the only thing that can happen is someone is stupid, doesn't drink enough water, and passes out on the course.  Forget tradition, its just common sense.  
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

JESII

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 11:08:09 AM »
Not renderring an opinion on the rule, but there are a wide array of pants out there made of real thin material which can be very comfortable on those hot days. Just a thought.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »
Brad,

Having played golf in the desert in summer, I felt that thin cotton trousers kept me from getting some serious sun burn off my knees and lower thighs.

Bob

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 12:58:10 PM »
Bob,

For me it is a bit of a tradeoff. If the humidity is low and the sun is mid-summer, mid-day then I'd prefer to stick with lightweight slacks. Here in South Carolina, the summertime humidity makes shorts desirable especially regarding the comfort of certain regions that we don't need to describe in detail. Since I generally play early in the morning in summer the shorts are usually the way to go.

But sunburned knees are no more pleasant than itchy nether regions, for sure.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 01:26:33 PM »
Bob,

For me it is a bit of a tradeoff. If the humidity is low and the sun is mid-summer, mid-day then I'd prefer to stick with lightweight slacks. Here in South Carolina, the summertime humidity makes shorts desirable especially regarding the comfort of certain regions that we don't need to describe in detail. Since I generally play early in the morning in summer on the course the shorts are usually the way to go.

But sunburned knees are no more pleasant than itchy nether regions, for sure.

Brent,

I know of which you speak. The only time I have seen a golfer with an ice bag between his thighs, was on an insufferably hot day at Pine Valley in late June. He did not look like a happy camper.

Bob

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 01:29:27 PM »
San Francisco GC does not allow shorts.  Then again, it's never warm enough there to wear them.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 01:49:27 PM »
Winged Foot allows shorts from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I believe this started in '04. Caves changed its policy last July. The old head of the club moved away and the new regime changed the policy. It was about time too.
Mr Hurricane

JESII

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 02:10:55 PM »
Interesting Jim, Thanks for the correction.

james soper

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 02:36:22 PM »
wade hampton has a long pants policy. jjs

TEPaul

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 03:03:09 PM »
Speaking of shorts, the other day I met Forrest Fezler (great guy) who apparently was the first to actually try to tee it up on Tour in shorts. I do remember originally the PGA Tour's ban on shorts was sometimes referred to a the "Fezler Rule".

Judging from some of the costumes Forrest did wear out there back then maybe they should've just let him wear shorts. He was joking about how outrageous some of the stuff he wore was. I think he was from the school of "California Cool" back then.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 03:09:44 PM »
Tom,

I played with Forest at the dixie cup at tobacco road, he is a great guy.  

You would never know he played on tour for 15 years and finished second at a us open.  he is just a nice, down to earth guy.

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 03:12:01 PM »
Galloway has an unwritten rule that you need to wear pants when the flies are biting.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »
Gentlemen,
once again I am inclined to refer you to one of my personal golf HEROES...I give you, the indefatigable Brian Barnes.

Photo: George Herringshaw

I leave it to you to decide on the resolution given the above evidence.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 04:31:08 PM »
Very well done, Martin.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back